It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Oem remote not working
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:57 am 
LOST Member

The KJs up to 2005 have the RKE plugged onto the BCM...looks like a large cigarette pack.

My 2002 Export CRD has a separate key fob for opening/closing doors and rear glass window so this key fob has nothing to do with the separate chipped ignition key as far as programming goes.

Strangely after 16 years use both key fobs still have the original batteries installed!

The 2006 KJ has this RKE unit intergrated into the BCM internals.
Worth re-plugging the RKE unit a few times and also re-plugging all the connectors on the BCM a few times in case of a bad contact. :wink:

Last edited by Billybob on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXjbyER_Ye0

No idea if it will work for you but worth a try.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

I went to the junkyard and pulled the BCM from an 04. It had the RKE unit on top as described. Confident in my success on a cadaver, I pulled the BCM on my 05. Once it was removed there was NOT a RKU attechedw. Not even the terminals. I also peeked in the BCM to see if anything looked like a receiver or antenna. No luck. I even pulled the passenger side door card to see if the RKU was on the lock switch like other models. I am stumped to find this uunit!

05 Liberty Sport (SEGR, Elephant hose, Caseless inline thermostat, Weeks Elbow, 7V Etecnos, V-6 airbox w/splashguard, Aussie shroud, Bees Timing belt procedure w/ IDPARTS, EVIC added, Leather Seats installed, Moog LBJs)
02 Jetta TDI wagon GLS (elephant hose mod), 5-Spd swap, Bilsteins, TT bushings
I stand UNDER my work!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

thermorex wrote:
Hey guys,

Can you pls help me? Both remotes are not working. I can start the vehicle, but neither button works on the remotes. I've changed both batteries so I'm sure those are OK.

Good part is that I can start the vehicle normally, everything works fine except the remote buttons.

During the past year, I sensed that the remote range reduced quite a lot, from being able to lock/unlock from well over 30ft to bat ly being able to lock/unlock from couple ft away. I also replaced remote battery but no improvements. Few days ago I installed an arb compressor and I have noticed that the battery negative terminal was loose, and I could remove it with bare hands very easy. Im not sure how the vehicle still started, but long story short, I tied it properly and now, interestingly, no remote button works. Not sure if this is related, but I wonder if a loos negative connection could cause the skim to go bad...

I wonder what could be... I've tried disconnecting battery terminals, reconnecting them back, ot working. After reconnecting the battery terminals I can hear the doors locks going on and off.

Please let me know if you have other ideas. I don't think both keys are bad, so I wonder if it can be a bad connection to the skim?

I feel your pain. I just had 2 new key fobs cut and programmed. My locksmith went through several diff models of fobs before he got one to work. I wouldn’t buy anything off of eBay just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:35 am 
LOST Member

SC RIGGR wrote:
I went to the junkyard and pulled the BCM from an 04. It had the RKE unit on top as described. Confident in my success on a cadaver, I pulled the BCM on my 05. Once it was removed there was NOT a RKU attechedw. Not even the terminals. I also peeked in the BCM to see if anything looked like a receiver or antenna. No luck. I even pulled the passenger side door card to see if the RKU was on the lock switch like other models. I am stumped to find this uunit!

Weird....maybe it is in the BCM just very small!

Try the Parts Fiche for the KJs here:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Looks very confusing on page 8-405 with the BCM on one side of the Jeep and some other unit (RKE?) on LHS rear door section?

We need a 2005 KJ owner to try help out here as the Service Manuals have a lot of errors in them and I think some changes probably happen mid-year and so may not match the documentation for any particular year. :?