It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to Libertys, need help.
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I’m kinda stumped here. Pretty mechanically inclined and it’s not my first diesel vehicle. Problem: at about 50-55 mph the Jeep will shudder hard. I’ve noticed every time it does it, it burns oil because a large blue cloud comes out for 5ish seconds. Another thing I’ve also noticed is the trans fluid smells burnt. Now the previous owner had told us the turbo had some blowby (the blue smoke) however I’m stumped as to what the trans fluid stinks for. I’ve been reading and it seems like some have complained of the torque converter going out and not locking up which could be the problem however I’m new to this platform of diesel and I want to get someone else’s input before tearing into it. Another problem I’ve found is almost like an exhaust leak at the manifold where the turbo connects and I’ve noticed a lot of oily residue there. It only smokes from there when it’s hot so I think it could also be that residue burning off.

Post subject: Re: New to Libertys, need help.
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:32 pm 
LOST Addict

The trans fluid smells burnt because it is burnt.
It may be that the fluid and filter had never been changed or you have some clutch packs that are worn out.
This is probably why you feel the shudder.
Search for a used 545rfe out of a Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi. It will have a better torque converter.

Oil leaking from the turbo into the exhaust is a bad thing.
I recommend not driving it anymore until you can rule out a bad turbo.
Take the turbo inlet hose off and stick your fingers in there to try to wiggle the shaft. The should spin freely and smoothly and not have any wiggle.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

I’m still stumped on the whole exhaust leak thing from the manifold. I’ll look into transmissions and what not at the junk yards around me. Does it mount right up or have a different bell housing? Although I suppose I could swap out the one from the CRd onto the one from the hemi. As far as the turbo goes I’ll pull The hoses and take a gander at it. Hopefully no shaft play. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not to mention the little Jeep also has 262k on the clock so if it’s never had the fluid changed it’s hurting for it. I’m planning on a full service next time it’s due. Oil, fuel, trans, and air filters.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:50 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
We're just going to assume that you know the timing belt needs replaced at approx 100K miles and you know for a fact that it's been done.

We also assume that you know what can happen to these tractors if/when the timing belt is 'put off until I get around to it', and not done in time.

Other than that, I wish you buckets of good fortune towards helping you solve the issues quickly and reasonably affordably.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:59 am 
LOST Addict

ZachariahPonder wrote:
I’m still stumped on the whole exhaust leak thing from the manifold. I’ll look into transmissions and what not at the junk yards around me. Does it mount right up or have a different bell housing? Although I suppose I could swap out the one from the CRd onto the one from the hemi. As far as the turbo goes I’ll pull The hoses and take a gander at it. Hopefully no shaft play. :shock:

All 545rfe transmissions are the same, inside and out.
Even the 45rfe and the 65rfe is the same as the 545rfe with some subtle differences.
But a 545rfe out of a Ram hemi will ensure that everything is a direct swap and includes the better torque converter.
But you will have to swap over your transfer case to the transmission.

And as Crasher has pointed out...

TIMING BELT!