It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Air Conditioning Woes
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Backgroud:
I have lived in Hawaii and run my AC year round for several years. Then I move to Hampton Roads, experience a winter, and now both my 2005 CRD and my 2015 Town and Country are having issues cooling the people compartment:

CRD:
The Jeep is cooling the air, but it does not feel cold. I ran the test from the manual: 1000 RPM, jumpered the low pressure switch, and I connected a cheap gage to the low pressure side. I do not have a high pressure gage connection at this time. I am reading 80-100 PSI low pressure side (which is high). The compressor does start and the pressure drops for about 5 seconds to about 50 PSI. As mentioned before, the compressor kicks on and the hoses in the engine bay seem to get cold for a while and then the compressor kicks off. The longest I have seen the compressor run was about 10 seconds with most around 2-3 seconds. This seems short. I think the compressor is fine as it rapidly drops pressure as it runs. I think the issue is that the high pressure switch is killing the compressor too early. Of note, I did not add any refrigerant until I ran my tests. Ergo, I do not think the system is overfull. Given my pressure, I do not suspect a leak. Could this be the over pressure switch going bad? Anything else to consider? I am a little confused about this over pressure switch from the dealer manual as it is a 3 wire. Manual seems to reference a pressure transducer and pressure switch separately, but I have only been able to identify one. If you know nothing about refrigeration cycles, you can still help me. How long does your compressor run when outside air is around 80 degrees and the car is idling?

T&C:
Both evaporators are hissing really badly. Low pressure side seems to be in spec on pressure. Never heard this hissing before. I think I will try to charge some R-134a and see if the problem gets better. I did not notice a strong temperature differential on the refrigerant lines. This leads me to think it is a failing compressor. As this is a CRD forum, I don't expect much help beyond basic refrigerant help.

Manuals:
Anybody know where to get a factory service manuals for the T&C? I got some for the jeep.

Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Woes
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:08 pm 
LOST Addict

This may or may not be helpful, I believe that is the high line showing pressure there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqMk6ILyceE

Temp was around 65-70 when I took that video.

Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Woes
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:48 am 
LOST Addict

For the CRD:
Make sure both your fans are working properly.
The electric fan in the grille is mainly there to cool the condenser when the Jeep is parked.
If the condenser cant be cooled, you wont get cold air in the cabin.

For the minivan:
I don't know so much about those but it sounds to me like a failed expansion valve at the evaporator.

Of course, a good AC shop is your best source for diagnostics.