It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OME strut alternative
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:44 pm 
LOST Member

I have a 05 CRD with a OME lift. I was told that the front struts are the same size as stock ones is this correct ? I would like to go with Bilstein (24139168) can not afford OME at $170 each. HELP :dizzy:

Post subject: Re: OME strut alternative
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:09 pm 

MM53 wrote:
I have a 05 CRD with a OME lift. I was told that the front struts are the same size as stock ones is this correct ? I would like to go with Bilstein (24139168) can not afford OME at $170 each. HELP :dizzy:

The struts are the same dimensional size, but that is where it ends.
Gas charged struts along with higher load rated springs add additional height or lift to the vehicle along with a better more firmer ride and handling characteristics..
Many also add a few conduit nuts or a thick spacer between the strut and the clevis device that holds the strut in position to gain a little additional lift.

Bilsteins are very good struts and shocks!

JBA sells the strut spacers....https://jeepinbyal.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=spacer

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:33 pm 
LOST Member

I have top plates & spacers from JBA. I love the OME lift but at about 100K miles on them I need new struts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The KJ CRD does not have "true" struts in the front not with standing various posts and the DCJ parts fiche. The assembly in question is a coil over shock. As such you can purchase and replace the whole assembly (spring and shock) or depending on what part has gone "bad" you can replace just the shock or just the spring. I understand in theory springs can sag, not something I've every seen, but it's much more likely that the shock will wear out in which case a new one of the proper size and capacity can be swapped into the old spring.

I would STRONGLY advise against attempting a DIY swap of a new shock into old/new springs. The spring tension involved is high and if things let loose one can easily get seriously injured or killed. Best invest a few extra $s in having shop with the proper equipment do the swap. Obviously when doing this type of job do both sides.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs