It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible fuel leak
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:23 pm 
LOST Member

Hello CRDers,
It has been a while since I posted anything but I need your knowledge before I start hunting for a more than likely fuel leak. About a month ago I floored the libby to enter the freeway and got a fuel leak code (P0093). I reset the codes and has not gotten back again under normal driving conditions, not babying it, but upon a visual inspection I did notice that injectors 2, 3, and 4 are a little wet towards the bottom with injector 4 being the wettest. No black smoke, reduced power, or extra fuel consumption, at least not that it can be notice. I appreciate anyone pithing in with clues to what could it be. I fell it might be the injectors seals and O-rings but it is just a hunch.

Thanks much.
:JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: Possible fuel leak
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
If you have fuel-wet injectors, it's most likely coming from the bleed or the hard line. If your seal were leaking you would be having exhaust/combustion product coming up and probably soot on everything around.

Take all your bleed lines on top out one at a time, and make sure the tiny o-rings are in good shape, and the fittings are firmly clipped in place.

Then loosen and re-tighten the steel lines. Make sure they are squarely centered into the injector nut.

NEVER use your hands to check for leaks. Take a clean dry shop towel and wrap around each injector, and take it for a short drive. Check it when you get back with engine off. Any leaks will be evident on the shop towel(s).

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:02 pm 
LOST Member

Hmm, I don't think a leaking return would cause a leak code though. The advice on checking the steel lines is solid, do that first. You didn't mention if you had a lift pump? You can always try the quick injector seal check. Mix about a tablespoon of dish soap (palmolive, etc) in about a quart of water. Mix it until the soap is dissolved but don't "froth" it. Pour about a cup into each injector pocket and quickly start the motor. If there are bubbles and sprays of water shooting up from any of the pockets then you know where the problem is. You want to be quick so that not much water can ingress the cylinder if the leak were large enough to allow it. Large amounts of water in the cylinder when it attempts a compression cycle are bad for your motors health. The water will dissolve when the motor heats up and the soap residue is no worse than what is probably already in your engine bay anyway, maybe better! FYI, the rubber o-rings on your injectors are to keep dirt and oil out of the copper washer sealing surface, NOT to keep compression gasses in. Let us know what happens!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:43 pm 
LOST Member

camo wrote:
Hello CRDers,
About a month ago I floored the libby to enter the freeway and got a fuel leak code (P0093).

This code has usually been plugged fuel filter for me. You requested a large quantity of fuel and the filter was unable to deliver.

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
SargeIndustries wrote:
camo wrote:
Hello CRDers,
About a month ago I floored the libby to enter the freeway and got a fuel leak code (P0093).

This code has usually been plugged fuel filter for me. You requested a large quantity of fuel and the filter was unable to deliver.

X2
Could also be issues with the FQS at the CP3.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 am 
LOST Member

SargeIndustries wrote:
camo wrote:
Hello CRDers,

This sounds like a good possibility. The Other day I found the fuel filter had a bit of diesel sweat around it. I guess that is the first thing I'll do then the soap test.

Thank you.