It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tick/knockish Sound until 950 RPM?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:33 am 
LOST Member

I have a 2005 CRD that I just replaced the lifter, Rockers, and a Cam in: (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=86401).

I have driven it about 150 miles since the work was finished. Everything was great. Now I have this sound. It goes away above 950 RPM. It is hard to discern where it is coming from but I am worried it is valvetrain noise. I dumped a bottle of Lucas in the oil to see if that changed the sound. I noticed no difference. The sound has gotten louder over the past 4 days since it has become noticeable. I first that it was paranoia induced imaginative sounds. I did put new fuel in around the day before the sound started but I don’t think it is related. I may add cetane boost to see if it changes anything similar to why I added Lucas, for diagnosis. I have no loss of power.

I am worried the head was damaged when I had rocker/lifter failure. I replaced the intake cam due to some marring of the surface.

I am trying not to snap at this point. $2,000 for a new head, head gasket, and rockers/lifters would be like trying so swallow a rhinoceros turned sideways at this point.

Any tips on finding the noise and diagnosing this? I am half tempted to drive it as is but I am worried I will be rolling the dice with buying another camshaft if it is the head. A broken rocker/lifter might screw one up again. I will pull the accessory belt off to see if that changes the sound when I get home form work, if I get home from work.

:cry:

Post subject: Re: Tick/knockish Sound until 950 RPM?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:12 pm 
LOST Addict

It could be an exhaust leak.

I once had a ticking sound that drove me nuts trying to find.
I finally figured out that there was a small leak at the exhaust flex joint next to the transmission.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:02 pm 
LOST Member

GOOD NEWS - I'm just an idiot. :jester:
A/C on made the sound change, then taking the serpentine belt of changed it some more.
Then I FOUND IT - I forgot to torque the bolts on the harmonic balancer when I resembled everything. They are re-torqued and the Jeep sounds normal. I was really fearing the potential of this whole sound thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:17 pm 
LOST Member

Science and Energy wrote:
GOOD NEWS - I'm just an idiot. :jester:
A/C on made the sound change, then taking the serpentine belt of changed it some more.
Then I FOUND IT - I forgot to torque the bolts on the harmonic balancer when I resembled everything. They are re-torqued and the Jeep sounds normal. I was really fearing the potential of this whole sound thing.

I did the exact same thing on a Toyota rebuild earlier this year.. but it was the 4 bolts that hold the crank pulley to the dampener.. I thought I really screwed the pooch.
Glad you found it in time! You may want to check those again after a couple days running, then a month or so..

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:56 pm 
LOST Member

Glad you found the problem.

For anyone ever looking for an exhaust leak have someone momentarily block the exhaust with a big wad of rags while you check the exhaust system. Usually makes leaks more noticeable.