It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Wiring
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, I have factory trailer wireing with the relays, and can't get them from popping the fuse whenever i have a trailer connected. I've pulled the relays and checked the wiring and get it working with a test set connected. Put it all together and connect a trailer and it blows the fuse within a half hour. I suspect a shorted wire somewhere, but would need the time to track it down.

I'm considering just abandoning the factory wireing and adding an aftermarket trailer wiring setup. This https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2005_Jeep_Liberty.htm?style=without+factory+7-Way kit should do the trick. Opinions?

Post subject: Re: Trailer Wiring
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:36 am 

Did you notice in your Curt Link that it states for all of them listed: "2005 Jeep Liberty without factory 7-Way Trailer Wiring"
So these kit will not work if your Libby has the factory 7 way trailer connector! :banghead:

Which circuit is blowing fuse, brake lights, turn signal, or running lights? Sounds like to me you have some high amperage on one of the circuits.
Have you tried reading the amp draw for each circuit with a multimeter?
If it only blows fuse when trailer is connected, most likely the problem is in the trailer wiring or one of its lights. :roll:

Just recently found and fixed a short in a customers trailer that keep blowing fuses on tow vehicle very randomly anytime he pulled his trailer.
Nothing obvious in looking at wiring, lights, connections, etc... upon further close inspection I found one wire pinched behind one of the side running lights on the trailer. :shock:
It had rubbed some of the insulation off the wire just enough to allow contact to the trailer frame every so often. It was not even a hard ground.
Replaced wire, rewired light, and it cured the problem.

Keep in mind; if problem is in the trailer wiring or lights, adding new aftermarket wiring connections to tow vehicle will not solve your problem.... :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The trailer wiring is not the issue. This is a problem with any trailer I tow and all my trailers work fine with my truck as well as my brothers truck. I'm pretty sure the problem is in the trailer relay power circuit, same fuse as the fog lights. I know a lot of others have had issues with the relays sticking or going bad. I considered trying to run a new power feed to the relays or find some other 12v line. That sounds like a lot of time and work, and might work for a while but doesn't fix the issue with the crappy relays.

The Curt harness appears to be an easy install and since the harness includes a solid state module rather than the discreet relays that the factory used should be a more robust design.

I'm going to order it, let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:14 pm 

bugnout wrote:
The trailer wiring is not the issue. This is a problem with any trailer I tow and all my trailers work fine with my truck as well as my brothers truck. I'm pretty sure the problem is in the trailer relay power circuit, same fuse as the fog lights. I know a lot of others have had issues with the relays sticking or going bad. I considered trying to run a new power feed to the relays or find some other 12v line. That sounds like a lot of time and work, and might work for a while but doesn't fix the issue with the crappy relays.

The Curt harness appears to be an easy install and since the harness includes a solid state module rather than the discreet relays that the factory used should be a more robust design.

OK, have thought about maybe trying a slightly higher rated fuse before going to all that trouble? :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:36 am 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
bugnout wrote:

OK, have thought about maybe trying a slightly higher rated fuse before going to all that trouble? :roll:

I agree with this...no problem with going for a slightly uprated fuse or plugging in a DC circuit breaker of a similar trip value while diagnosing the problem. :wink: