It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken Alternator Bolts!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got towed home ~150 miles from Cle Elum, WA last weekend (thanks AAA) after my alternator bolts sheared off, creating a loss of battery and power steering. Seems like the engine rattle eventually wore them down? Not sure how it happened, but that's my best guess.

My main problem now is removing the remnants from the existing threaded holes. Has anyone experienced this, and how did you get them out?

My first idea is to drill a small hole and then use a easy out, however I can only access 1 of 3 bolts doing so. The other requires removing the fan shroud and other components.

Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?

SunCoast Torque Converter
HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Weeks Stage 1
Mann Provent 200
Fumoto Oil Valve

Post subject: Re: Broken Alternator Bolts!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 pm 
LOST Member

They were probably overtightened when installed. The high torque, heat cycles and vibration can all lead to a failure of one after another. An easy out is your best bet. You can buy an angled drill head at home depot, etc, to fit into tight spaces. If they are not marred too badly, you can try taking a pick and spinning them out slowly. You can also try to grind a small slot in the end to turn them out like a flat head screw. If you don't have room for a drill, I doubt you have room for a grinder.

Post subject: Re: Broken Alternator Bolts!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:46 pm 

ShaqDiesel wrote:
Got towed home ~150 miles from Cle Elum, WA last weekend (thanks AAA) after my alternator bolts sheared off, creating a loss of battery and power steering. Seems like the engine rattle eventually wore them down? Not sure how it happened, but that's my best guess.
My main problem now is removing the remnants from the existing threaded holes. Has anyone experienced this, and how did you get them out?
My first idea is to drill a small hole and then use a easy out, however I can only access 1 of 3 bolts doing so. The other requires removing the fan shroud and other components.
Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?

A couple of tricks:
1. use a "Left" handed twist drill bit. Many times when you start drilling a small pilot hole with a left twist drill bit, the broken stud will screw out on its own.
2. DeWalt and many others make a 90 degree drill bit adaptor to get into close quarters. see picture Available at Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon, Harbor Freight, etc....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve