It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is this?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

What's this:

https://imgur.com/a/Vajbb2a

When I bought this jeep the previous owner said it was for "better fuel economy"

Post subject: Re: What is this?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 pm 
LOST Member

It APPEARS to be a makeshift Provent. Many companies make cheap alternatives to the Provent style system which rely solely on capturing oil vapor in a mesh screen. They usually don't work incredibly well and it appears that yours is leaking profusely. My first recommendation would be to take it apart and clean it to the best of your ability. Replace the mesh inside (probably a scotch-brite type material) and put it back together with the correctly sized clamps so it doesn't leak and see how it does for awhile. My second recommendation would be to buy an actual Provent and install it according to the guides written on this forum. My final recommendation would be to buy a replacement CCV tube and remove the unit completely. Most people run their CCV system stock and don't really have any major problems. A provent is preferred just to keep the messy oil off of everything under the hood. The only threat of the unit you have is if you live in a cold climate and the mesh inside freezes and prevents air flow, you'll blow a main seal in the engine block.

Of course, I could be wrong and it could be a flux capacitor. Have you tried driving 88 mph yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Looks like a makeshift air/oil separator, also looks like its making a mess. I'd remove it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

APC9199 wrote:
It APPEARS to be a makeshift Provent. Many companies make cheap alternatives to the Provent style system which rely solely on capturing oil vapor in a mesh screen. They usually don't work incredibly well and it appears that yours is leaking profusely. My first recommendation would be to take it apart and clean it to the best of your ability. Replace the mesh inside (probably a scotch-brite type material) and put it back together with the correctly sized clamps so it doesn't leak and see how it does for awhile. My second recommendation would be to buy an actual Provent and install it according to the guides written on this forum. My final recommendation would be to buy a replacement CCV tube and remove the unit completely. Most people run their CCV system stock and don't really have any major problems. A provent is preferred just to keep the messy oil off of everything under the hood. The only threat of the unit you have is if you live in a cold climate and the mesh inside freezes and prevents air flow, you'll blow a main seal in the engine block.

Of course, I could be wrong and it could be a flux capacitor. Have you tried driving 88 mph yet?

Where can I buy a new CCV tube?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sir Sam wrote:
Looks like a makeshift air/oil separator, also looks like its making a mess. I'd remove it.

How do I remove it? Just pull it out and bridge it with a plastic tube and hose clamps?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

A few options:

- Replace the existing house/poor man's provent with a hose running back into the air intake.
- Run a longer hose from the puck (crank case vent at top of engine) down and out the drive side of the engine block to the underside of the vehicle. This is also called the elephant hose mod in the newbie guide. The blow by from the engine will vent to atmosphere, creating puffs of vapor coming out from underneath your Jeep. I did this for a while and prefer the following:
- Install the Mann Provent 200 CCV, available at Sasquatch Parts. The install is a little tricky, but I plan to post on a unique way I accomplished mine.

SunCoast Torque Converter
HDS Model 001 Thermostat
Weeks Stage 1
Mann Provent 200
Fumoto Oil Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:07 am 
LOST Addict

Jackkep wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

How do I remove it? Just pull it out and bridge it with a plastic tube and hose clamps?

You could see if the tube will reach the CCV puck. If I were installing that leaky POS I would just add it in line with the factory hose, not shorten the factory hose

I'm guessing someone else did the same, and you might be able to just remove it and connect up the remaining hose.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:10 pm 
LOST Member

"A bad idea"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Weird. If it's installed as a fake Provent and the CCV line is still attached to the airbox to turbo hose then if it's not plugged its not keeping any significant oil out of the turbo/intercooler/intake and if it is plugged you are likely to blow a rear main seal. If on the other hand the CCV line simply goes to atmosphere they you are polluting the ground and atmosphere with oily mist and if the CCV hose freezes shut goodby rear main seal.

As mrhemi notes "bad idea". IMHO get rid of it now.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:08 pm 

Jackkep wrote:
What's this: A REAL BAD IDEA!
https://imgur.com/a/Vajbb2a
When I bought this jeep the previous owner said it was for "better fuel economy"

Get a ProVent....
To read the full discussion on CCV and ProVent install, see this thread:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80491

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:42 pm 
LOST Member

https://www.idparts.com/ccv-breather-tu ... -3800.html

Just in case you want to go back to stock...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:44 pm 
LOST Member

As far as the 'better economy', it may over time, slow down the asphalting of the intake system, which includes the map sensor. I'd say it's more of a preventive measure to maintain the efficiency of a good, clean system.
EGR removal should be done as the first part of 'keeping the intake clean'. Then, a little oil without the carbon from the exhaust IMO isn't that detrimental... But remember the air intake hose does not appreciate this oil.. and will rot, crack... allowing dirt to be sucked directly into the turbo.
I'm going to stay with the factory pcv plumbing, for now.

These engines seem to have a large amount of suspended oil mist.
You have oil squirters on the bottom of the pistons spraying oil, counter balance shafts whipping around, then you have the cams and rockers slinging oil just below the outlet for the pcv.. It's got to be a heck of a fog.
That 'puck' must be a heck of separator/reclaimer, the short time mine was running it hardly used any oil. I think I only added a quart in the whole 10,000 miles; 2 oil changes.

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'