It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No WORKING Cruise When I bought Liberty CRD
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:21 am 
LOST Member

When I bought the Jeep used, it had cruise buttons on the steering wheel but they didn't seem to do anything. The on/off button made no action occur nor caused any light to illuminate. When I installed the brush guard I noted the previous owner, I later learned who lied about a bunch of stuff, hit something and bent the front bumper a little. :roll: This week I tried the “merlin” reset action to no avail and broke down and took it to the dealer to have it reset. Turns out they got no prompt in the DRB3 to allow them to reset it. Today it hit me, I think he blew the front airbag and replaced the wheel with the cruise buttoned wheel I see now. :( I went to the Jeep site and entered the VIN to get a build sheet; no cruise is listed.

I also had to put my VIN in a parts website to try and learn the correct EVIC module. When I did, I noticed that there are parts listed for a cruise control. I had thought the cruise was all electronic and just the switches and software were needed. I guess not. The part number is listed as 4669979. The parts are listed here:

https://www.directmoparpart.com/v-2005- ... rol-system

Where should I look for these? Is this a mistake?

Post subject: Re: No WORKING Cruise When I bought Liberty CRD
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:36 am 
LOST Member

I just found this LOST post about adding cruise to a CRD:
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=37173&start=0

I think the parts website just gave me bad info. No servo is needed for the CRD (maybe that was a generic option listing for any KJ Lbierty). Any ways, I will need to pull the steering wheel cover and see if the wiring harness is there and see if it is connected. I am guessing it is not there and that is why the cruise doesn't work and why no reset option was available for the Jeep stealership. The previous owner POS probably just got the wheel from a junk yard.

Hope this info helps someone one day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Even if the wiring is all there for the cruise switches they have been known to lose the cruise set status. You will need a DRBIII to tell the ECU to relearn the cruise, then the next key cycle it should pickup the cruise control if all wiring and switches are good.

I made a couple of videos on this:
https://youtu.be/rLIqALEaN4I?t=1271

And:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwpe7uDPmaE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9wzadqCvfI&t=4s

Verify your switches and wiring is intact to ECU, I would do a continuity test to the pins on the ECU and then press the different cruise buttons, you should see the resistance readings change with each button press.

Knowing that the wiring and buttons are good you could then return to the dealer, show them my youtube video, and get them to use their DRBIII to finish up the install.

And yes, mechanical servo is for gasser KJs, diesel is completely drive by wire.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:46 pm 
LOST Member

Well the wires are already there and installed. Maybe it is original or maybe he also added the wires. I am hoping the switches and wires are correct.

I will go to a different dealer. The last one's tech said he also couldn't find were you would program the injectors so I don't think he really new what he was doing. I said the option was next to that under misc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:09 am 
LOST Addict

Science and Energy wrote:
Well the wires are already there and installed. Maybe it is original or maybe he also added the wires. I am hoping the switches and wires are correct.

I will go to a different dealer. The last one's tech said he also couldn't find were you would program the injectors so I don't think he really new what he was doing. I said the option was next to that under misc.

Its free to do a continuity check to the ECU, mostly just a sanity check. Go armed with the video as well.

Where are you located, there are a few members here with DRBIIIs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:24 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
When I bought the Jeep used, it had cruise buttons on the steering wheel but they didn't seem to do anything. The on/off button made no action occur nor caused any light to illuminate. When I installed the brush guard I noted the previous owner, I later learned who lied about a bunch of stuff, hit something and bent the front bumper a little. :roll: This week I tried the “merlin” reset action to no avail and broke down and took it to the dealer to have it reset. Turns out they got no prompt in the DRB3 to allow them to reset it. Today it hit me, I think he blew the front airbag and replaced the wheel with the cruise buttoned wheel I see now. :( I went to the Jeep site and entered the VIN to get a build sheet; no cruise is listed.

I also had to put my VIN in a parts website to try and learn the correct EVIC module. When I did, I noticed that there are parts listed for a cruise control. I had thought the cruise was all electronic and just the switches and software were needed. I guess not. The part number is listed as 4669979. The parts are listed here:

https://www.directmoparpart.com/v-2005- ... rol-system

Where should I look for these? Is this a mistake?

Those are for a gasser model.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:37 am 
LOST Member

"Those are for a gasser model."

Your right and I it makes sense. On a related note, I will never just trust one of those parts websites that say enter your VIN and you will only get the right parts!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:12 pm 
LOST Member

So I went to a different dealer hoping for a better experience. They said they would have been happy to do it but their DRB3 died a couple months ago and no replacements are available! I went to a guy with a top of the line Snap-on after (per their recommendation) and it couldn't do it.

DRBIII are going to be dying out soon!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:47 am 
LOST Addict

So I went to a different dealer hoping for a better experience. They said they would have been happy to do it but their DRB3 died a couple months ago and no replacements are available! I went to a guy with a top of the line Snap-on after (per their recommendation) and it couldn't do it.

DRBIII are going to be dying out soon!

Looks like I need to get on my DRBIII emulator loaner program, this would be the perfect thing for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:32 am 
LOST Member

Please let me know if such a thing ever happens. I wish I could rent this tool.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:50 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
I just found this LOST post about adding cruise to a CRD:
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=37173&start=0

I think the parts website just gave me bad info. No servo is needed for the CRD (maybe that was a generic option listing for any KJ Lbierty). Any ways, I will need to pull the steering wheel cover and see if the wiring harness is there and see if it is connected. I am guessing it is not there and that is why the cruise doesn't work and why no reset option was available for the Jeep stealership. The previous owner POS probably just got the wheel from a junk yard.

Hope this info helps someone one day.

'Slightly' off topic, but have you verified that you have functional airbag(s).

I have no clue how to verify, or what codes would be thrown, or even whether the vehicle would be functional if they were gutted, but it's a point I wanted to mention.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:20 pm 
LOST Member

I am unsure of my original theory that the airbags deployed. I can say there are no lights or codes indicating a problem with the SRS. The SRS has a self-check system. I suppose I could speed into a tree and find out though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:16 am 
LOST Addict

Please let me know if such a thing ever happens. I wish I could rent this tool.

There are rentals available for it, however they are expensive. I will get the exchange laptop setup, getting married in 2 days so other projects have been on hold recently.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:31 pm 
LOST Member

I hope the ceremony (if your having one) goes well. People like to complain about marriage but I am happy I got married.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Congratulations!

Just remember if you are working on or around batteries, to take the ring off and keep it safe until you are done. I watched my dad learn that the hard way. It's not something one forgets.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:42 pm 
LOST Member

I am unsure of my original theory that the airbags deployed. I can say there are no lights or codes indicating a problem with the SRS. The SRS has a self-check system. I suppose I could speed into a tree and find out though.

:( :) :D :-)r :ROTFL:

That's the funniest thing I've read all day! You have no idea how many times I've wanted to do that...hahaha!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:26 pm 
LOST Member

:jester:

APC9199 wrote:

:( :) :D :-)r :ROTFL:

That's the funniest thing I've read all day! You have no idea how many times I've wanted to do that...hahaha!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:35 am 
LOST Member

Ok, so I finally have new development on this. I recently went to a new dealer to have the cruise control reset. The first didn’t have a working DRBIII tool and the second couldn’t find the reset option (they didn’t seem competent). The third dealer found the reset function but said the ECM would not accept a reset. They interpreted this as meaning the cruise control system was not functioning. Does this sound right?

Where should I begin trouble shooting? I have confirmed there are wires connected to the switches. Is there a fuse I should check? Clock spring or something?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:13 am 
LOST Member

I was driving in to work today wishing I had cruise. What needs to be done when cruise is installed for the first time on a 2005 CRD? Maybe that is were I will find a solution.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

This looks like the closest thread to my issue so I thought I would post on here:

My cruise control light comes on, but it won't set. This happened about six months ago, and when I stopped and started the vehicle, it worked again. It happened over the weekend again, and this time it isn't coming back.

Vehicle Info:
2006 Liberty CRD, one owner vehicle in good condition
296,000 miles
Reman Trans 266,000 miles
Remain Tcase 289,000 miles
GDE Tune
Lift pump mod