It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unknown Timing Belt
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, Jeep ownership, and CRDs but very excited to have just purchased a 2005 Liberty CRD with 125K on it. 2 owner car, second owner had it from about 20K (practically new). The car appears exceptionally well maintained and clean. I bought a car fax report and through there are dozens of service records over the years many from the stealership i do not see the timing belt service.

The only thing I see it that the original hoses were changed out for the samco silicone style hoses. I don't know the condition of the EGR, or timing belt. It seems surprising to me that a car that was frequently dealer serviced would go 20k miles over a timing belt service. Does anyone have advise on how to confirm if the belt was serviced?

There is one suspicious tid-bit on the carfax, the "serpentine" belt was replaced at 109k then the tensioner was done at 114K and then the serpentine belt was done again at 120K. I thought maybe the service tech incorrectly indicated the serpentine belt being replaced instead of the timing belt. Just seems strange that the dealership would have allowed such an important maintenance item to go un-serviced.

Thanks guys for your help. Loving the support of this new forum/owner's group.

Post subject: Re: Unknown Timing Belt
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Welcome. I'm quite a noob myself here, even Jeepin' since 2012. If you know the place where services with those belt changes were done, contact them. They should have in their archives done jobs and parts used.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:09 pm 
LOST Member

That would be the best way to know for sure if it was done, or ask the person who sold it to you if they can contact the previous owner. Even statements from the P.O. don't mean much without a receipt of parts purchased, etc.

Most of us here recommend that if you don't have solid proof of the T.B. being done, do it (and the water pump).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:07 pm 

APC9199 wrote:
That would be the best way to know for sure if it was done, or ask the person who sold it to you if they can contact the previous owner. Even statements from the P.O. don't mean much without a receipt of parts purchased, etc.
Most of us here recommend that if you don't have solid proof of the T.B. being done, do it (and the water pump).

Excellent advice! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got a quote for $1400 for the timing belt job and over $2k if i do the water pump too. Figure I'll probably do it myself for that price. Found this kit on eBay. Does this have everything I'd need to do the job and should I have any concerns about quality of the parts being supplied? Does anyone on here have first hand experience with this particular kit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Liberty-C ... SwT4lWRisL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:01 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
ooy that place is really proud of themselves, and they'll probably screw you by putting in crown parts or other chinese stuff.

The kit you show is an IDParts.com kit. You might could save a bit by going direct.

https://www.idparts.com/timing-belt-kit-liberty-crd-p-2721.html

Plus doing a timing belt change without changing the front of the water pump is absurd.
The belt's life is 6 years or 100k miles, and the water pump pulley is a necessary part of the timing belt path. (same for tensioner and roller bearings)
If you don't change the w-pump when you change your timing belt, you are likely to have the pump bushing or seals fail at 50k miles or less through the life of the belt, and you will have to put on another new belt all over again, because you can't re-use the belt.
You set them up, tension them properly, and the whole set is designed to wear together for the life of the belt, and must be changed again at it's known life expectancy. If it fails first, you really are talking thousands in repairs.

IDParts.com sells good products at a good price, and has extraordinary service. You won't go wrong with them.

I agree with you that the dealer shouldn't have left and item like that undone, but then people here in many cases have problems with dealers trying to cut corners. The T-belt is an involved change, and if they felt it would pass beyond warranty without failing, they may have made the decision to let it go.

One thing I know for sure is you need to get a definite start clock on the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and rollers. It's an absolute necessity that you know, so you can get full life out of them, and get them changed BEFORE something in there fails.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set