It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MPG article with CRD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

The best way to get more MPG out of the 2.8 CRD is to get a manual gearbox, preferably the six speed manual box that is fitted to the UK spec Cherokee (Liberty) KJ.
My 2005 KJ 2.8 CRD Sport is stock, expect for the wheels and tyres. I'm using lightweight ZJ Limited Edition 16" x 8.5" Ultrastar five spoke alloys fitted with low rolling resistance, road-going SUV tyres, which have good wet grip too They are Alfamotors DK365 SUV 235/70R16 106H tyres. (Euro B rating for both economy and wet grip and with an impressive treadware of 440!)
They cost just £118 for four (£29.50 each) on ebay, with free next day delivery by courier.
Total weight of each wheel and a DK365 is only 24kg.
Handling and ride are far better and it's quieter to drive too.
On average, I'm getting 32-34mpg and my best average is 36mpg. :D

Last edited by jeepsterkj on Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:46 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
mrhemi wrote:
They missed the fuel line magnetometer that magnetizes the fuel flowing through it for better power and economy. Pure snake oil.

And injecting methanol mixed with H2O into the intake, Propane injection, and CAC (intercooler) misting systems, etc...
And there are a few more. :roll:

I know the Propane injection works for power, not sure it helps any economy wise. I have driven a Dodge Cummins truck with the Propane injection system installed and the power gains were quite impressive. :shock:

Me too, Most of the posts on 'improvement' in economy hardly ever include the amount of propane being burnt..
When diesel got really high priced for off road use a couple years ago, we added a couple of propane injectors on a couple of my Cummins power units. (5.9 mechanicals) I was told to bring the engine up to operating speed and load, then turn on the propane. Then dial back on the diesel until it was running at my original rpm.

THAT summer, I replaced 'some' $4 dollar diesel with 0.84 cent propane I'd say it took about 1.5 gallons of propane to eliminate 1 gallon of diesel. Another way I looked at it; instead of burning 5.5 gallons of diesel an hour, ( $22.00) I was burning about 4 gallons of diesel, plus 2 gallons of propane) so bout $17.75 per hour. Hey, it saved me about 90 bucks a day on each unit. :) Last year, my off road diesel was running about 1.25 a gallon, and propane was 1.10... It was cheaper to run pure diesel; never opened the valve!

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jeepsterkj is that mpg based on US gallons or Imperial gallons?

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
jeepsterkj is that mpg based on US gallons or Imperial gallons?

Good question...That is what my KJ's overhead trip computer says...So it's probably in US gallons but I can't be sure. The second time I filled up I did not brim the tank but I still got 300 miles on half a tank:
Image300milesnotbrimmed by Alf Beharie

The last time I filled up I brimmed it and got 100 miles with fuel level gauge still reading full!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:34 am 
LOST Newbie

I have driven with fuel gauge on zero and overhead computer telling "0 km to empty" over hundred kms. Well, I had 5 liter spare can in the trunk (or boot) just in case and when I finally refueled after almost 800km in tripmeter, it took 72 l. Dutch owners manual says fuel tank is 74, so there wasn't pretty much left. On that time I was driving 235/70-16, now 255/60-17. Never really accurate measured, how thirsty my 2.8 with a/t really is, but it seems to drink everything I put in its tank.
:5SHOTS:

What overhead computer or tripmeter tells is based on odometer which is never really 100% accurate. Its reading depends on tires as well, bigger ones give shorter distances. Also, when refueling, the vehicle should be always in exactly same position. Few degrees inclined may make several liter difference what fits in the tank.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Grotsoldaat wrote:
I have driven with fuel gauge on zero and overhead computer telling "0 km to empty" over hundred kms. Well, I had 5 liter spare can in the trunk (or boot) just in case and when I finally refueled after almost 800km in tripmeter, it took 72 l. Dutch owners manual says fuel tank is 74, so there wasn't pretty much left. On that time I was driving 235/70-16, now 255/60-17. Never really accurate measured, how thirsty my 2.8 with a/t really is, but it seems to drink everything I put in its tank.
:5SHOTS:

What overhead computer or tripmeter tells is based on odometer which is never really 100% accurate. Its reading depends on tires as well, bigger ones give shorter distances. Also, when refueling, the vehicle should be always in exactly same position. Few degrees inclined may make several liter difference what fits in the tank.

I can only assume that the mpg reading on my trip counter is in US gallons because the temperature display is in 'F, not in 'C as we use here, and there is no option to change it. That being the case, converting from US mpg to UK mpg means I am actually getting an average of 45mpg out of my KJ!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Horribly written "article" as the products don't even have headers to tell you what they are. One of them even after reading "what it is" I only knew 2 company names, not what it is or does at all.

The only trolling in the prius video was the music.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:38 pm 
LOST Member

It is a junky article and most of the product reviews from other sources are un-savory. I had hoped that at least one product had gained support by members of the forum (who had tested it).

I have 8% larger wheels and with the technics I learned on my 1st gen Honda Insight, my EVIC says I can get as high as 32 on the highway. This requires I am careful (driving 65-70) and throttle/brake right. The wheels have not been accounted for in that estimation so that little bit of conservative bias I had hoped made it more realistic. Still haven't had a good chance to do some long distance driving on the highway so that I can check it with a fill up to fill up check.