It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 05 CRD stall then no start. Jumped time? Fuel issue?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

jws84_02 wrote:
Double male connector?

For the turbo, take the intake tube off and check for shaft play

Yes. The hard pipe comes off the fuel rail and connects to the injector. The hard pipe screws into a tiny insert that then screws into the fuel injector. That insert where it screws into the injector was leaking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got the leak to stop. Also, is it safe to drive with the compression leak through the injectors? I need a car and the new washers are coming in later this week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:29 pm 
LOST Member

Jackkep wrote:
Got the leak to stop. Also, is it safe to drive with the compression leak through the injectors? I need a car and the new washers are coming in later this week.

u said you put some water on the injectors and no bubbles. What makes you think you have a leak? Unless something changed since that last post;
No bubbles= no leak.
That 'clack' I hear, sounds more like a bad gasket at the exhaust manifold.
But that is my audio abilities 'hear' :roll:
Believe me, if that 'clack' was coming though the injector seal, it'd be BLOWING that water hard against the bottom of the hood.

What's your exhaust looking like when it's idling? Clean? how about when you roll onto the fuel?

Did you get all the rags out of the intake system when you put it back together?

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

Last edited by rancherman on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

rancherman wrote:
Jackkep wrote:

u said you put some water on the injectors and no bubbles. What makes you think you have a leak?
No bubbles= no leak.
Believe me, if that 'clack' was coming though the injector seal, it'd be BLOWING that water hard against the bottom of the hood.

It's definitely coming from the injectors. After working on the number four injector it won't stop blowing bubbles. Is that safe to drive? I can hear it clacking

Last edited by Jackkep on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:48 pm 
LOST Member

Jackkep wrote:
rancherman wrote:
Jackkep wrote:

u said you put some water on the injectors and no bubbles. What makes you think you have a leak?
No bubbles= no leak.

It's definitely coming from the injectors. After working on the number for injector it won't stop blowing bubbles. Is that safe to drive? I can hear it clacking

Try loosening the hold down, and re torqueing it again.. It can't hurt to try..

No, you don't want to run it until it's sealed up. You'll torch out the injector hole and seat.
An occasional bubble is ok for a short time.. until you get the new seals.
Why on this engine, when people talk about leaks, stuck tight, or other problems, it seems like it's always #4??? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Another issue! Yay! Now the temperature won't get up to operating spec. When I originally had the jeep running the temp had no issues. I tried bleeding through the bleeder valve and no air is coming out, just coolant. What else should I try?

Awesome. Just noticed there is coolant dripping from somewhere. When I put the car back this time, I didn't tighten the fan right. It spun off on a shutdown and made a hell of a noise. It could have cut something or broken something, but that was a while ago (well before any coolant was leaking. This is a pretty aggressive leak)

The dripping is very constant and it's quickly emptying my reservoir. I've inspected all the heater hoses and upper/lower rad hose and I can't see any clear source. It quickly fills the skid plate and is dripping from multiple places underneath. This was very quick onset. It wasn't happening earlier today or the other time I had the vehicle running.

It's important to note it's actively leaking with the car OFF. It's emptying the reservoir as I fill it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:01 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
As it won't get up to operating spec, only the thermostat can do that. Every other possible cooling system error results in overheating.

Since you already know you need to replace that, I suggest you start digging in that direction first. You might find your leak on the way. Or you might find it exposed further down , from oil cooler hoses, or one of the many at the rear of the water pump.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:25 am 
LOST Member

Jackkep wrote:
Another issue! Yay! Now the temperature won't get up to operating spec. When I originally had the jeep running the temp had no issues. I tried bleeding through the bleeder valve and no air is coming out, just coolant. What else should I try?

Awesome. Just noticed there is coolant dripping from somewhere. When I put the car back this time, I didn't tighten the fan right. It spun off on a shutdown and made a hell of a noise. It could have cut something or broken something, but that was a while ago (well before any coolant was leaking. This is a pretty aggressive leak)

The dripping is very constant and it's quickly emptying my reservoir. I've inspected all the heater hoses and upper/lower rad hose and I can't see any clear source. It quickly fills the skid plate and is dripping from multiple places underneath. This was very quick onset. It wasn't happening earlier today or the other time I had the vehicle running.

It's important to note it's actively leaking with the car OFF. It's emptying the reservoir as I fill it.

When you say not getting up to temp, is the needle moving at all? if so, is it around that lower 1/4- 1/3 of the sweep of the dial?

Your fan helicoptered off?? :shock: I'd be looking at the radiator real hard!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:50 am 
LOST Junkie

rancherman wrote:
Jackkep wrote:

X2

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:55 am 
LOST Newbie

rancherman wrote:
Jackkep wrote:

When you say not getting up to temp, is the needle moving at all? if so, is it around that lower 1/4- 1/3 of the sweep of the dial?

Radiator seems ok. The fan basically slammed into the shroud and stopped. The temperature was going halfway between 1/4 and 1/2. Why would my thermostat die all the sudden? It was working perfectly fine the original time I had the car running. The leak really doesn't seem to be coming from the radiator. It's daylight out now so I'm going to go look at all the hoses again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here are 2 videos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AR7mCTZuXbptHapW6

The first is just to showcase how much it's dripping on the ground and the second is showing something I think is really crazy.

It looks as if coolant is dripping off the radiator fan but I can't see how it's getting there. If you watch the video there's points where I zoom in and you can clearly see coolant dripping off one of the fan blades on to the fan shroud/power steering rack. The upper and lower radiator hoses seem fine. I can't see any way that coolant is getting onto the radiator fan in dripping down like that. I felt the nut that the radiator fan attaches to and it's dry all around so how is coolant getting there? Also as I pan around you'll see that there's a little bit of water on top of the thermostat but that is from me filling the radiator reservoir. There are no loose hoses around the thermostat and all of that was dry before I went to refill the reservoir.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:08 pm 
LOST Addict

The leak has to be from the radiator.
A stream of water is coming out of the radiator, hitting the fan blade, and dripping down from there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

Remove the fan and shroud so you can see. Chances are there is a hole in the radiator from the fan coming off

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

jws84_02 wrote:
Remove the fan and shroud so you can see. Chances are there is a hole in the radiator from the fan coming off

Will do. How would a hole in the radiator cause a constant stream of coolant off the fan? That's what is so confusing to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
A stream of water is coming out of the radiator, hitting the fan blade, and dripping down from there.

That definitely makes the most sense. Will know more later when I pull it apart.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:12 pm 
LOST Member

Jackkep wrote:
flash7210 wrote:

That definitely makes the most sense. Will know more later when I pull it apart.

keep your chin up!! the end zone is in sight!
Dang fans and shrouds; Coolant can get swept up by the fan, 'held' in place by pressure or vacuum of the fan... and when you shut down, drips out the weirdest places.. often totally off the reservation!!

As far as the thermostat 'suddenly' not working, as in 'ok' a week ago, and now not warming..
yeah, it may be pure coincidence that it gave up the ghost this week,
or when you had all the hoses off, a tiny blob of crap got in the system, and is holding the 'stat open..
If so, maybe running it, (bombing down the road), nice hot day, AC on, that it may get hot enough to really open up the stat and that blob (if that is what it is) could get flushed out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anyone know the cheapest place to get a radiator?
Any of y'all upgrade rads and want to sell your old one?

Definitely the radiator: https://photos.app.goo.gl/T4cAHsC3vLfkXAWx7

I like my liquid cooled crank pulley