It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: CRD Thermostat Replacement:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:52 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6088
Location: Colorado Baby!
Thermostat Part number:
05142601AA

Price:
$111.00 - List
$83.25 - Shop


Thermostat Gasket part number:
05066806AA

Price:
$2.35 - List
$1.90 - Shop

FSM Procedure:
http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/ ... 6_P546.pdf

Detailed pictures:
http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/ ... MOSTAT.pdf
http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/ ... OSTAT2.pdf

Partnumbers:
http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/ ... TAT_PN.pdf

Some pictures of the work:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Last edited by Sir Sam on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:48 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:25 pm
Posts: 1306
Location: Colorado USA
Oh man, and I thought my Mercedes was expensive at $30.

_________________
'05 Liberty CRD B100, SEGR - SOLD

'01 Beetle TDi B100, EGR delete
'83 Mercedes 240D B100, no EGR

--- SEGR Builder ---


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:50 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 5:39 pm
Posts: 392
Location: Allen, TX
:shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil:

_________________
05 CRD
3" Rough Country Lift
SAMCO SPORT Hoses
Magnaflow Muffler (12226)
CAT 2 Fuel Filter
Fumoto Drain Valve
EGR replaced at 50K
in service 8/31/04
Sold 7/21/10 125k miles
----------------------------------------------------------
Paved Roads, another form of unnecessary government spending...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6088
Location: Colorado Baby!
skywarn wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil:


3-5 days to order from dealer.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:49 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:38 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
sweet, doesnt look hard at all though. How did you know your thermostat is bad?

_________________
2005 CRD Sport
Mods: Glasspack, OME HD Struts & Springs, 2" Daystar lift,
255/70/16 General Grabber AT2's on MOAB's
ORM&EHM with great success!
TJM T17 Bumper, 50W KC HID's
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:56 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6088
Location: Colorado Baby!
Endurance wrote:
sweet, doesnt look hard at all though. How did you know your thermostat is bad?


Jeep never warms up.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CRD Thermostat Replacement:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:41 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:34 am
Posts: 1150
Location: East Tennessee
Sir Sam wrote:
Thermostat Part number:
05142601AA

Price:
$111.00 - List
$83.25 - Shop



I think I just got a nosebleed - at least I hope it's my nose. :shock:

_________________
Matt B.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CRD Thermostat Replacement:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6088
Location: Colorado Baby!
Goglio704 wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
Thermostat Part number:
05142601AA

Price:
$111.00 - List
$83.25 - Shop



I think I just got a nosebleed - at least I hope it's my nose. :shock:


When your vehicle never warms up $85 doesnt seem too bad.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:34 am
Posts: 1150
Location: East Tennessee
Is the viscous heater working overtime trying to get the engine warm?

_________________
Matt B.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6088
Location: Colorado Baby!
Goglio704 wrote:
Is the viscous heater working overtime trying to get the engine warm?


you mean the fuel heater?

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:13 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Nope go to page 24-126 or 6001 of the service manual and read all about the viscous/engine coolant heater

K

_________________
'06 Midnight Blue CRD Sport
Born 5-06
Mopar Skids and Tow Hooks
Deer Killer Mod
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:25 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6088
Location: Colorado Baby!
Kniggit wrote:
Nope go to page 24-126 or 6001 of the service manual and read all about the viscous/engine coolant heater

K


Quote:
The supplemental diesel engine coolant heater (viscous heater) uses an electro-mechanical clutch that receives a
signal from the diesel engine control module (ECM) via the A/C-heater control and the viscous heater controller, to
energize and engage the clutch. Once engaged, the clutch allows the viscous heater to increase the temperature of
the engine coolant flowing to the heater core to provide heat to the passenger compartment quicker than diesel
engines without the viscous heater.

The viscous heater uses friction to heat a special silicon oil within its housing. The generated heat is then trans-
ferred to the engine coolant when the coolant passes over the fins within the housing. When demand for passenger
compartment heat decreases the viscous heater receives an input from the heater controller to disengage the
clutch.
The supplemental diesel engine coolant heater cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, the entire heater
assembly must be replaced.


I suppose that would be working much harder if we were trying to run the heat. No need for heat when it's 70 degrees outside.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:58 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:34 am
Posts: 1150
Location: East Tennessee
Although that quote doesn't mention it, I thought it ran until a certain coolant temp was reached. Too warm here to check it out.

_________________
Matt B.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:32 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6088
Location: Colorado Baby!
Goglio704 wrote:
Although that quote doesn't mention it, I thought it ran until a certain coolant temp was reached. Too warm here to check it out.


well let me put it this way, if your CRD never warmed up around you, would you suspect the viscious heater?

seriously this thing is not warming up in 70 degree temps, classic signs of thermostat failure.

its too bad its an expensive part and one that needs to be order to check it though.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:17 pm
Posts: 382
I suspected the viscious heater too, but 90$ is uber cheaper than the viscious heater components would be, I suspect. I've spent far greater that 90$ in attempt to fix far less.

I'd try the thermostat first too.

_________________
2005 CRD Limited
added Mopar plates, snow, mud
Detours backbone (w/lp8500)
Skink super sliders


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:08 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6088
Location: Colorado Baby!
bbo wrote:
I suspected the viscious heater too, but 90$ is uber cheaper than the viscious heater components would be, I suspect. I've spent far greater that 90$ in attempt to fix far less.

I'd try the thermostat first too.


Well, the viscous heater only seems to be for the cabin heat according to the FSM, and you would figure if the viscous heater wasnt working but the thermostat was it would eventually warm up to normal operating temps, even in 70 degree weather, this one wont.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:17 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:17 pm
Posts: 382
Sir Sam wrote:
bbo wrote:
I suspected the viscious heater too, but 90$ is uber cheaper than the viscious heater components would be, I suspect. I've spent far greater that 90$ in attempt to fix far less.

I'd try the thermostat first too.


Well, the viscous heater only seems to be for the cabin heat according to the FSM, and you would figure if the viscous heater wasnt working but the thermostat was it would eventually warm up to normal operating temps, even in 70 degree weather, this one wont.


viscous does the coolant, if I am not mistaken .. no separation from the pass compartment and engine there ... also if the CRD is anything like a TDI .. it would never warm at idle in any temp without the viscous heater.

I'd still do the thermostat first unless I had a way to test either before purchase.

_________________
2005 CRD Limited
added Mopar plates, snow, mud
Detours backbone (w/lp8500)
Skink super sliders


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:23 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6088
Location: Colorado Baby!
bbo wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
bbo wrote:
I suspected the viscious heater too, but 90$ is uber cheaper than the viscious heater components would be, I suspect. I've spent far greater that 90$ in attempt to fix far less.

I'd try the thermostat first too.


Well, the viscous heater only seems to be for the cabin heat according to the FSM, and you would figure if the viscous heater wasnt working but the thermostat was it would eventually warm up to normal operating temps, even in 70 degree weather, this one wont.


viscous does the coolant, if I am not mistaken .. no separation from the pass compartment and engine there ... also if the CRD is anything like a TDI .. it would never warm at idle in any temp without the viscous heater.

I'd still do the thermostat first unless I had a way to test either before purchase.


yes it does the coolant,but:

Quote:
The 2.8L diesel engine uses a supplemental engine
coolant heater (1) to help heat the engine coolant prior
to it entering the heater core
(4). This mechanical
device is commonly called a viscous heater. The sup-
plemental engine coolant heater is driven by the
engine accessory drive belt (3) and has an electro-
mechanical clutch (2) which is controlled by the
engine control module (ECM).


So if I am reading the FSM correctly, the viscous heater only heats coolant that goes into the heater core, and only runs when there is a demand for cabin heat. The FSM gives NO indication that the viscous heater runs to help warm the engine up.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:34 am
Posts: 1150
Location: East Tennessee
Sir Sam wrote:
Goglio704 wrote:
Although that quote doesn't mention it, I thought it ran until a certain coolant temp was reached. Too warm here to check it out.


well let me put it this way, if your CRD never warmed up around you, would you suspect the viscious heater?

seriously this thing is not warming up in 70 degree temps, classic signs of thermostat failure.

its too bad its an expensive part and one that needs to be order to check it though.


Once again, the written word has failed me. I never doubted your diagnosis of a failed thermostat, I was just curious whether the viscous heater was trying to compensate. I have seen the viscous heater on mine run in the winter, but I have no idea where the cabin heater was set. It would be easy to test in cold weather, but I can wait. I've been cold before, it is overrated. :wink:

_________________
Matt B.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:50 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6088
Location: Colorado Baby!
Goglio704 wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
Goglio704 wrote:
Although that quote doesn't mention it, I thought it ran until a certain coolant temp was reached. Too warm here to check it out.


well let me put it this way, if your CRD never warmed up around you, would you suspect the viscious heater?

seriously this thing is not warming up in 70 degree temps, classic signs of thermostat failure.

its too bad its an expensive part and one that needs to be order to check it though.


Once again, the written word has failed me. I never doubted your diagnosis of a failed thermostat, I was just curious whether the viscous heater was trying to compensate. I have seen the viscous heater on mine run in the winter, but I have no idea where the cabin heater was set. It would be easy to test in cold weather, but I can wait. I've been cold before, it is overrated. :wink:


Ah gotcha, but no, it doesnt seem to be running at all.

As far as the FSM shows the viscous heater only seems to come on when you want cabin heat.

Maybe MrMopar can elaborate a little more, such as if the viscous heater runs at any other times besides when the cabin requests heat, and then, when the cabin does request heat does the heater only run when the engine is cold?

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: diesel_guy86, Jeeper03 and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com