It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine Life Expectancy
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:25 am 
LOST Junkie

I'm curious as to how long I can reasonably expect my engine to last before a major malfunction. By now there must be enough history to get some idea of what to look forward to.

This is a 2006 sport with 77,000 which we bought new and is my wife's' driver. I occasionally do full power runs just 'cause I like the way it feels but other than that just normal driving at 85 or so on the hwy. It's never been over 100.

I installed a GDE hot tune at ~38,000 miles and had the timing belt replaced (parts from IDE) and water separator replaced last year. All normal maintenance done on the factory schedule. Aside from that, it's been super reliable with great fuel economy.

Since my wife just loves this little jeep she would like to keep it until the end of days. I, however, am concerned that engine failure could be a significant problem trying to get repaired so sorta thinking ahead as to whether or not to dump it in favor of something less exotic.

Thanks for any advice.

Richard

Post subject: Re: Engine Life Expectancy
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:49 pm 

litton wrote:
I'm curious as to how long I can reasonably expect my engine to last before a major malfunction. By now there must be enough history to get some idea of what to look forward to.
This is a 2006 sport with 77,000 which we bought new and is my wife's' driver. I occasionally do full power runs just 'cause I like the way it feels but other than that just normal driving at 85 or so on the hwy. It's never been over 100.
I installed a GDE hot tune at ~38,000 miles and had the timing belt replaced (parts from IDE) and water separator replaced last year. All normal maintenance done on the factory schedule. Aside from that, it's been super reliable with great fuel economy.
Since my wife just loves this little jeep she would like to keep it until the end of days. I, however, am concerned that engine failure could be a significant problem trying to get repaired so sorta thinking ahead as to whether or not to dump it in favor of something less exotic.
Thanks for any advice.
Richard

general thoughts on engine longevity:
First and foremost: Disable or totally remove the EGR system, it is an engine killer on this vehicle and will certainly shorten the engine's life and can cause other problems and issues as well!
Second, install an intank or at least an inline fuel lift pump to keep all air out of the fuel system. After you do this, you can also install a secondary 2 micron fuel filter to further protect the very expensive and vulnerable CP3 injection pump and the injectors.
(air in fuel causes lots of issues and can get much worse as vehicle ages)
Third, install a ProVent coalescing filter on the CCV system to help keep oil out of the turbo intake boot, boost hoses, and from contamination and collecting in the bottom of the CCA (intercooler) .

A MUST: Every 100k miles or ~ 6 years, replace the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, timing belt idler pulleys (2 of them), and replace the water pump with a new Graf metal unit like the OEM pump (IDParts.com).
Somewhere just past the 150k miles mark, it is advisable to pull the head and replace all the exhaust *valves and all the valve rocker arms/dampers if they show ANY evidence of wear.
When doing this it is also highly recommended to install ARP Head Studs instead of using the OEM type head bolts when reinstalling the head.
(*these engines have a history of some of them breaking off an exhaust valve usually somewhere above the 150k mileage and when that happens, it causes all kinds of catastrophic damage and in some cases can totally destroy an engine and make it totally unusable. Exact root cause of the valve failures is not known therefore predicting exactly when it will happen is impossible, so replacement is totally a preemptive move for prevention. )

Keeping the oil & filter changed using the correct rated diesel oil and flushing the cooling system good when doing the timing belt changes and using the correct G-05 Hoat antifreeze are also PM musts.

If you do the above, your engine should last a lifetime.... :JEEPIN: :BANANA:

Others on here may have some additional thoughts :idea:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:56 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
litton wrote:

Thanks for any advice.

Richard

What WWDiesel said...
Also
Opinions vary, so all I can offer you is my own :2cents: in dealing with the VM Motori CRD in the Jeep Liberty, based on my own personal experiences of the last couple years.

CRD guide, (short version)

Not required, but should be. (for reliability)
1) Lift pump (In Tank is best) Completely and permanently eliminates easily over half the drivability issues, common with this rig.
2) Provent (or similar, as long as it works)
3) Weeks kits (Passes sniffer and opacity tests on healthy engines. Visual too, IMO, depends on how much you flaunt it.)

Recommended (Things that lean towards optimization and a bit of diminishing returns for your dollar, rather than fixing problems that should never have made it to the market.)
1) Good Thermostat, Healthy cooling system, Especially if you are leaning towards power-ups. Stock is good. HDS001.. Expensive, but, There is nothing better at any price.
2) good thermal protection for sensors, wiring looms, etc edit - also check wiring looms everywhere they go behind something (fuel filter bracket) around something, or through something (behind alternator, above starter, etc) check for worn insulation, bare wires, etc and fix anything you find (pre-emptive strike) Or you could just wait till something happens and hunt it down then.
3) Fuel filter upgrade (< 5 micrometer) See WWDiesel's bracket system.
4) ARP Studs (best installed BEFORE head gasket fails) I recommend target this to do with new exhaust valves on your next timing belt replacement.
5) Silicone CAC hoses turbo inlet hose, (Sasquatch Parts) and T-bolt clamps

Optional (power-ups and Fun-ups Things to do as time and money budget allows, depending on how you intend to use your CRD.)
1) Exhaust (On my list this was actually in highly recommended. Kind of depends on local statutes, or whether one licenses in CA)
2) ECM / TCM Tune see #3
3) Torque converter (kind of goes along with #2) transmission front pump, and any shifting mods desired.
4) Suspension / lift
5) Tires
6) Gearing / diff locks if needed / wanted.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:05 pm 
LOST Addict

I also agree with above . So most likely to 150,000 to 180,000 miles if you don't do whats suggested hopefully 400k or more if you do them

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:16 pm 
LOST Member

I have 5 CRD's with anywhere from 125k to 215k miles. The weak points on this engine:

#1 Rockers: I've seen them worn out at 120k due to a) oil change interval too long b) wrong oil used c) EGR putting too much soot into the oil. You can easily control A and B, but need to eliminate the EGR with either a tune or a delete to prevent C.

#2 Dropped valve: These seem to break off around 200k. Reason is still unknown, but many suspect a) glow plug breaks off and gets crushed between the piston and valve. b) valve is directly hit by piston because of high rpms, weak spring (I've never heard of a spring breaking), or gets stuck in guide. c) manufacturing defect (heat treatment, metal contamination, ect).

#3 Turbo: I've had a couple fail prior to 100k. One might have been due to oil starvation. Other one may have been due to chinese parts on a rebuilt turbo. Or both could have been caused by a hot tune (not GDE).

#4 Glowplugs: the original ceramic glow plug tips can break off and cause engine damage. If you want to be pro-active, you can change to steel.

Bottom line: If you disable the EGR (delete, tune or both), change oil with correct oil, and do the timing belt/waterpump, the engine should easily make it to 200k.

Others have mentioned the fuel system as it can be problematic due to the lack of a tank pump, but it really shouldn't affect the life of the engine. My 5 CRD's are still all running without a tank pump, but if I start to have fuel issues, that is where I would start.

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

My 06 is at 202K, just changed the timing belt, water pump etc. for the second time. EGR deleted at about 130K. Cold start issues around 150k, glow plugs and Fuel Rail Pressure Solenoid were replaced due to long crank times (Not good in the cold north). Not much else aside from maintenance for the engine. Clean the MAP sensor on the manifold and fuel filter per interval before it starts running rough.

Replaced the 06 recently with an 05 with 58K. Working on converting it to be mine. Selling the 06 to a friend with no reservations about longevity for the motor. The body is dying a slow cancerous death.

GDE Hot tune and Trans Tune
Euro TC RL037142AA
Rebuilt Trans w/Transgo 68RFE
Air Box Mod
BMW oil Sep
MRBP exhaust
F-104 Fumoto valve
Hayden fan clutch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:44 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks for all the encouraging information.

I've had the GDR hot tune for quite a few years so that should take care of the EGR issue. If I hold to the 10-year max on timeing belt change that the next one will be in 2028 at about 125,000 miles. I figure that would be a good time have the head pulled and exhaust valves and studs replaced. I fully expect the normal aging issues that are associated with any vehicle such as injectors, drive train and etc. Perfectly OK with that. I am thinking that the thermostat should have been replaced when I did the timing belt last year and might just go ahead and schedule that in when I do the meat major service.

We really enjoy the Liberty and it's been a perfect daily driver for my wife. It's still hilarious when she is refueling and some well-meaning gentleman runs over to tell here she's putting diesel fuel in the tank.

Thanks again for the responses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:42 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The manufacturer's timeline on the timing belt is SIX YEARS not 10. I don't know where that idea came from, I have never seen it mentioned anywhere other than this thread.

Gates manufactures the belts - even the ones that say Goodyear on them - and their limit is 100k miles or SIX years. Every single CRD out there that has not had a replacement, has a belt that is massively overdue for it.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:26 pm 

geordi wrote:
The manufacturer's timeline on the timing belt is SIX YEARS not 10. I don't know where that idea came from, I have never seen it mentioned anywhere other than this thread.
Gates manufactures the belts - even the ones that say Goodyear on them - and their limit is 100k miles or SIX years. Every single CRD out there that has not had a replacement, has a belt that is massively overdue for it.

Updated to ~ 6 years. The FSM does not specify a limit in time that I could find, only mileage recommendations.
But I certainly agree, sooner is better than later before it slips or breaks that can cause major engine damage.
Looking online at manufacturer's recommendations, they are all over the place. Some say 5, 6, 7, 8, and Toyota even recommends as high as 9 years.
Unfortunately I suspect there are some CRD's out there with original belts (OEM) still on them even though the millage may be less than 100k but would still put them well over any time limits.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve