It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WTB: TCM
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:48 am 
LOST Member

I need to buy a transmission control unit. I am swapping everything trying to chase down a PO706 code. Let me know if you have one for sale.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

Post subject: Re: WTB: TCM
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:08 am 
LOST Member

Any 45/545rfe controller will run the transmission. Just not with our shift points and strategy. Some have had good luck with the dodge ram controller. Just make sure you don't over speed with its knockdown programming.

I bought a second controller from an 02 gas liberty it ran in 4 gears when I tested it. I then brought it to GDE for their eco trans tune. They didn't guarantee the tune would load but it works perfect. Had it in for over 2 years now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:24 am 
LOST Member

Dent wrote:
I need to buy a transmission control unit. I am swapping everything trying to chase down a PO706 code. Let me know if you have one for sale.

Check your harness very very VERY well. I spent almost nine months chasing a P0714 tranmission code. Found the transmission harness chaffing on the A/C canister clamp on the passenger side firewall. PITA. The PCMs are tough, I did the same thing, bought one thinking it was the cause of the error, replaced the transmission module twice....

Did you do any maintenance lately? Been 4-wheeling? Check the connector on the transmission as well.

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:26 am 
LOST Member

vwroad87 wrote:
Dent wrote:

Check your harness very very VERY well. I spent almost nine months chasing a P0714 tranmission code. Found the transmission harness chaffing on the A/C canister clamp on the passenger side firewall. PITA. The PCMs are tough, I did the same thing, bought one thinking it was the cause of the error, replaced the transmission module twice....

Did you do any maintenance lately? Been 4-wheeling? Check the connector on the transmission as well.

I'll continue to hunt and look near where you found your problem. thanks for the tip. I replaced the solenoid pack. Problem went away for a day or two. I was having a lot of wheel speed sensor problems, and I changed right front hub and right rear sensor. Still had issues with the PO706 code and going in and out of limp. PO706 doesn't throw CEL. Then, about a month ago, no more limp mode for a month. I thought I was done with this problem, but it's back this weekend. The PO706 code is shifter position signal which is located in the valve body solenoid pack. I hate to drop another $250 on another solenoid pack, which is probably not defective, but I'm running out of ideas. I was hoping to get a spare TCM to try, and I could always use as a core for a GDE tune.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:02 am 
LOST Member

dennyb wrote:
Any 45/545rfe controller will run the transmission. Just not with our shift points and strategy. Some have had good luck with the dodge ram controller. Just make sure you don't over speed with its knockdown programming.

I bought a second controller from an 02 gas liberty it ran in 4 gears when I tested it. I then brought it to GDE for their eco trans tune. They didn't guarantee the tune would load but it works perfect. Had it in for over 2 years now.

I didn't realize the gasser used the 545rfe too. Just spent $150 on a CRD TCM. I should have waited a few hours for your info and I could have saved the cash to put towards the GDE tune. Ah well. Price of knowledge and patience.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:06 pm 

Dent wrote:
dennyb wrote:

I didn't realize the gasser used the 545rfe too. Just spent $150 on a CRD TCM. I should have waited a few hours for your info and I could have saved the cash to put towards the GDE tune. Ah well. Price of knowledge and patience.

From another post:
Any TCM you get needs to be out of a vehicle that has a 545RFE transmission & has a separate standalone TCM. :roll:
Not sure if the 45RFE TCM's are fully compatible?
Probably should contact GDE and ask them for a list of compatible TCM PN's just to be on the safe side? :juggle:
From Wikipedia wrote:
*Applications of the 545RFE transmission:
2001–2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (4.7L, 4.7L H.O., 6.4L Hemi)
2005–2006 Jeep Liberty (Diesel applications)
2003–2011 Dodge Ram (3.7L, 4.7L, 5.7L Hemi)
2005–2011 Dodge Power Wagon
2003–2011 Dodge Dakota (4.7L, 4.7L H.O.)
2003–2011 Dodge Durango (4.7L, 5.7L)
2006–2010 Jeep Commander (4.7L, 5.7L Hemi)
2007–2010 Jeep Wrangler (2.8 L CRD)
2007–present LTI/London Taxi Company TX4
2007-2009 Chrysler Aspen (4.7L, 5.7L Hemi)
*According to Wikipedia > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_RFE_transmission <

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:13 am 
LOST Addict

A older 45rfe TCM will work with the 545rfe but it lacks the programming for 5th gear.
So you would only have 4 forward gears.

I use a TCM from a 2005 Ram Hemi. Other than the shift points being different, it works great.
Just takes some getting used to the different shift characteristics.
In some ways its better. In some ways its not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:36 pm 
LOST Member

Dent wrote:
vwroad87 wrote:
Dent wrote:

I'll continue to hunt and look near where you found your problem. thanks for the tip. I replaced the solenoid pack. Problem went away for a day or two. I was having a lot of wheel speed sensor problems, and I changed right front hub and right rear sensor. Still had issues with the PO706 code and going in and out of limp. PO706 doesn't throw CEL. Then, about a month ago, no more limp mode for a month. I thought I was done with this problem, but it's back this weekend. The PO706 code is shifter position signal which is located in the valve body solenoid pack. I hate to drop another $250 on another solenoid pack, which is probably not defective, but I'm running out of ideas. I was hoping to get a spare TCM to try, and I could always use as a core for a GDE tune.

I replaced the solenoid pack twice before I found the wiring harness fault. The harness passed continuity checks so I thought it must have been good.

I posted this image a few other places but here it is again, spent soooooo long troubleshooting this issue.

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 am 
LOST Member

Where was this photo taken?

vwroad87 wrote:

I replaced the solenoid pack twice before I found the wiring harness fault. The harness passed continuity checks so I thought it must have been good.

I posted this image a few other places but here it is again, spent soooooo long troubleshooting this issue.