It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Radiator leak. Repair or replace? Removal help.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys, my Libby's radiator sprung a leak after it was hit by the fan. How should I go about repairing it?

Here's the leak: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fzCy2zEuX46tto3A6

I'm a little wary of JB welding it strictly because after everything else I've dealt with on this Jeep I'd rather not add more variables.

There are some radiator shops around me I'd go visit, do people do quick TIG repairs on radiators?

I'm also having trouble removing the radiator I've been following this guide

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=87722

Even with 2 people, no luck. Anyone have a better way?

Also, does anyone know if the Nissens 61026 radiator comes with new "support feet" on it? Those are a major obstacle with removal and if a new radiator came with them then I'd consider ripping the old ones off to ease removal.

Post subject: Re: Radiator leak. Repair or replace? Removal help.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

I’d go with a new radiator.

Once you get the bumper and headlight/grille support off there are only 2 bolts that hold the radiator on

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Jackkep wrote:
Hey guys, my Libby's radiator sprung a leak after it was hit by the fan. How should I go about repairing it?

I'm a little wary of JB welding it strictly because after everything else I've dealt with on this Jeep I'd rather not add more variables.

There are some radiator shops around me I'd go visit, do people do quick TIG repairs on radiators?

Also, does anyone know if the Nissens 61026 radiator comes with new "support feet" on it? Those are a major obstacle with removal and if a new radiator came with them then I'd consider ripping the old ones off to ease removal.

Any radiator repair shop worth going to wouldn't repair the tube from the outside. For radiators they do patch, it's done by soldering the ends of the affected tube closed at both ends, preventing the water from reaching the hole.
Since our radiators have plastic tanks, they can't be sweated off like brass or aluminum, and re-soldered on. You would have to find one capable of un-clamping the steel header tabs that hold the plastic tanks tight into the rubber gasket in the header groove. You're not likely to find any radiator shop with this kind of hardware though, at least, not for this small of an application. I'd bet pretty much any radiator shop you take it to would be pushing for replacement rather than repair.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

jws84_02 wrote:
I’d go with a new radiator.

Once you get the bumper and headlight/grille support off there are only 2 bolts that hold the radiator on

The radiator has those big rubber feet under the CAC and the retaining clips that it has to slide out of. I'm afraid to remove the supports and bumper because this car was once in a minor head on collision where the PO "repaired" the front end plastics. A lot of it is wedged together funny and I'm afraid that if I pull it apart it won't go back together again.

I've been following this guide

I just can't get enough travel out of the intercooler to get the radiator free and I'm not sure what I should do.

Also, I went ahead and ordered a new radiator. The Nissens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:04 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Jackkep wrote:

Any radiator repair shop worth going to wouldn't repair the tube from the outside. For radiators they do patch, it's done by soldering the ends of the affected tube closed at both ends, preventing the water from reaching the hole.
Since our radiators have plastic tanks, they can't be sweated off like brass or aluminum, and re-soldered on. You would have to find one capable of un-clamping the steel header tabs that hold the plastic tanks tight into the rubber gasket in the header groove. You're not likely to find any radiator shop with this kind of hardware though, at least, not for this small of an application. I'd bet pretty much any radiator shop you take it to would be pushing for replacement rather than repair.

I did this in my drive way with a pair of vice grips and a hammer. Put it back together too. Hasn’t leaked in 2 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

mass-hole wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:
Jackkep wrote:

I did this in my drive way with a pair of vice grips and a hammer. Put it back together too. Hasn’t leaked in 2 years.

I just went ahead and ordered a new one because I'd rather just spend the money and avoid any more issues than I've already had. If it was more of a side vehicle I'd be going at it with my buddy's MIG/TIG.

How'd you go about removing the radiator?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:57 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Mass Hole wrote:

If you know what you're doing and are careful, it can be done.
All I've done with this particular one, is tighten the header clamp in a couple spots that leaked, and it's been fine as well.
Without the proper equipment, even if you know what you're doing, you still run about a 1 out of 5 risk that one of the plastic ends or steel headers will break.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set