It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: struggling with my jeep
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:54 am 
LOST Newbie

hi guys
For some time now i struggle with my jeep :/. Right now im on crank no start level. It started with typical camshaft sensor sympthons which in some time ago i didnt know anything about and i knew i had problems with fuel filter head and air going tru pumping handle. So i bought new racor r245/122 fuel head and change it and nothing crank but no start. checking error and comes up p1130 (have that for 4 yrs but jeep worked fine) and p0340. Camshaft position sensor. Got new camshaft position sensor and crankshaft sensor changed and still nothin. Ok So i checked cables for camshaft sensor till ecu everything seems fine. Got one mechanic who had little bit of time to do little checking and what he did was looking into injectors if fuel goes tru looks fine. he was susspecting timeing belt b/c i changed it in march but he said it should be fine b/c engine runs on gasstarter propperly. So now i plan to make inline fuel pump, already ordered one. Wanted to already prepare cable with 12v for it but in my pin connector under seat i dont have this cable with 15 sec 12v in my connector? is it possible that in 2002 jeep 2,5 crd it wasnt there? i have only constant 11-12v and 5-6v cable. Can i just connect this fuel pump to 12v so it works all the time?

Maybe you have some ideas whats the problem?

Post subject: Re: struggling with my jeep
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:23 pm 
LOST Member

mundri wrote:
hi guys
For some time now i struggle with my jeep :/. Right now im on crank no start level. It started with typical camshaft sensor sympthons which in some time ago i didnt know anything about and i knew i had problems with fuel filter head and air going tru pumping handle. So i bought new racor r245/122 fuel head and change it and nothing crank but no start. checking error and comes up p1130 (have that for 4 yrs but jeep worked fine) and p0340. Camshaft position sensor. Got new camshaft position sensor and crankshaft sensor changed and still nothin. Ok So i checked cables for camshaft sensor till ecu everything seems fine. Got one mechanic who had little bit of time to do little checking and what he did was looking into injectors if fuel goes tru looks fine. he was susspecting timeing belt b/c i changed it in march but he said it should be fine b/c engine runs on gasstarter propperly. So now i plan to make inline fuel pump, already ordered one. Wanted to already prepare cable with 12v for it but in my pin connector under seat i dont have this cable with 15 sec 12v in my connector? is it possible that in 2002 jeep 2,5 crd it wasnt there? i have only constant 11-12v and 5-6v cable. Can i just connect this fuel pump to 12v so it works all the time?

Maybe you have some ideas whats the problem?

The checklist:

1. a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
Trace the harness very very well, a chaffing wire will give intermittent results and pass continuity :grim:

2. the camshaft position sensor may have failed
Need a scope to see the wave form coming out of the sensor during cranking, make sure you see the signal very close to the ECU (PCM)

3. the PCM may have failed
These are pretty tough electronics but being able to read and clear codes is a sign that it has not suffered a severe failure. If you blew the ASD fuse in the engine compartment fuse box you would have many more codes, 13 as I recall recently.

4. there exists an open circuit
See 1.

5. If you bought Dorman sensors get your money back and buy OEM, don't know if Dorman makes these but the speed sensors I bought from Dorman didn't have a large enough magnetic core to drive the Hall Effect signal to the transmission PCM, i.e. junk.

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:31 am 
LOST Member

You obviously have a 2002 Export2.5 CRD same as I have. Where are you located?

I do not know if the cabling for a fuel pump was installed in these models...generally not needed on these early KJs, I have not had any problems.

There was no real need to replace the Fuel Filter Head as these Export models came out with a very good Raycor Head from the factory.

Most scanners cannot work on these early KJs with the PCI Bus....use the "Key" method to get codes.

Without starting the engine... rapidly turn the ignition ON/OFF four times.
After the 4th ON action leave the ignition ON and you should see the Odometer display showing codes in sequence from the oldest...which no longer be relevant...to the latest code.

Write these codes down and post up the last one here.
This method definitely works...I use it often...you just have to get the speed of the 4 ON/OFF actions right.

The problems with this method are:

Codes are not erased using this method.
Some codes can have the last two digits transposed ie. a code of P0123 could come out as P0132.
Any code is only recorded once even if you are getting multiple instances of the same code.

Some faults such as fuel errors do not get displayed.
Make sure your fuel filter is clean and the fuel head is well primed.

Do you have the Amber "Key" icon displayed on the cluster either solidly ON or flashing at you?
This is for the SKIS anti-theft system....newer KJs use a Red LED instead of the Key icon.
When you switch the ignition ON this Key Icon should light up for a few seconds and then go out if SKIS is OK. If it flashes you can normally start the Jeep but it cuts out after a few seconds. If the Key icon stays ON then the engine will turn over but never fire.

Download the 2002 KJ Service Manual Diagrams here....includes the Wiring diagrams.
What you need to download here as well is the section "2.5_2.8 export diesel" which covers the engine on our Export CRDS very well....some differences to the later USA models.

If you PM me your e-mail address I can send you another document for these early Export CRDs....shows the CEL codes and what to do about them!

So once you have some codes we can try resolve your issues.

I would also advise you to join the Australian Jeep forum http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com where there are lots of owners of these early Export CRDs who can advise you.

Download Manuals: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:43 am 
LOST Newbie

So my car started i am not sure why but it works now. i didnt try to start it like for 4 days i was prepering to install inline fuel pump(didnt do it yet) i even opened my tank from my trunk (curiosity and was bored). So i go on holidays like in 3 days so started to close everything and watched some youtube movie to take out camshaft leave it connected and check voltage while touching it with somthing metal so voltage should be cut off or somthin like that. i did put everything back. pumped fuel and bleed it and try last time before holidays and wtf it started. But sometimes it crank like 2sec befire start so definitely still air in the system and inline pump will be a must. Still have codes

P1130 (this one have like forever)
P1685 (This one have like forever)
P0110 (this one got recently it is air temp sensor in place where everyone have MAP, 2002 model dosnt have MAP.)
P0340 (still there camshaft sensor)
P1511 (thisone have like forever)
P0460 (fuel lvl seems fine so i dont know)

i will try to drive around 50km so maybe some codes will vanish

This alarm system with key was always fine.

Problem is i dont know why it started. I suspect somthin with new camshaft sensor its not oem. Before i did chack voltage and if cables wasnt broken to pcm i wasnt startin :/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:28 am 
LOST Member

mundri wrote:
So my car started i am not sure why but it works now. i didnt try to start it like for 4 days i was prepering to install inline fuel pump(didnt do it yet) i even opened my tank from my trunk (curiosity and was bored). So i go on holidays like in 3 days so started to close everything and watched some youtube movie to take out camshaft leave it connected and check voltage while touching it with somthing metal so voltage should be cut off or somthin like that. i did put everything back. pumped fuel and bleed it and try last time before holidays and wtf it started. But sometimes it crank like 2sec befire start so definitely still air in the system and inline pump will be a must. Still have codes

P1130 (this one have like forever)
P1685 (This one have like forever)
P0110 (this one got recently it is air temp sensor in place where everyone have MAP, 2002 model dosnt have MAP.)
P0340 (still there camshaft sensor)
P1511 (thisone have like forever)
P0460 (fuel lvl seems fine so i dont know)

i will try to drive around 50km so maybe some codes will vanish

This alarm system with key was always fine.

Problem is i dont know why it started. I suspect somthin with new camshaft sensor its not oem. Before i did chack voltage and if cables wasnt broken to pcm i wasnt startin :/

The 2002 Export 2.5 CRD does have a MAP sensor/air temp sensor similar to the 2005/6 models....just a bit of confusion with the naming. The early Export MAP sensors have two small bolts holding it in place where the USA models use a single larger bolt.

The P460 code you may have caused when you had the top of the tank opened....nice to be able to not have to drop the whole tank as is done in the later models :wink:

Likewise the MAP sensor error may be from disturbed wiring in that area.....you ideally need to get all the codes cleared by a Dealer unless you can find someone with a scanner able to handle the PCI Bus that our early CRDS have. With cleared codes you are starting with a clean slate and any new code can be traced down!

I once took my 2.5 CRD to the local Bosch shop to see if they could read/reset my stored codes.
The Expert there took one look at the Bosch ECM installed on my Jeep and shook his head....said no way he can get his scanners to read my system! :?