It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 CRD Shudder Help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Fellows,

I need some input/help...

I have a 2005 Liberty CRD Sport with 108K miles with transmission/torque converter shudder. The shudder has been present since I got the Jeep running (purchased with a broken timing belt/fractured rockers and the front end partially disassembled).

The following transmission work has been completed (in order of work completed):
-Trans fluid & filter change (Castrol Transmax ATF+4 and CarQuest filters)
-New driveshaft U-Joints
-Reman'd torque converter (Florida Torque Converter, stock stall, blueprinted w/plastic parts replaced/upgraded)
-Dr. Tranny Shudder Fix (1 tube)
-LubeGard ATF Protectant (10oz)
-New front propeller shaft CV Joint (rear joint only)
-Reman'd 545RFE front pump w/Sonnax updates (TCC spring & TCC limit valve) by trans rebuilder w/25-yrs experience
-Transgo SK 45RFE shift kit (valve body/accumulator components only)

Shudder is still present but has lessened in intensity and seems to be getting slightly better. Several hundred miles have been put on the Jeep since the front pump and shift kit were installed. The shudder seemed to be most noticeable after the front pump replacement, but lessened after shift kit installation. Shudder is most noticeable in overdrive in the 50-60 mph range and very slight at 70+ mph.

I do have Nick's Stage 1 Tune installed, but the shudder was present even when rolled back to the stock tune w/EGR/FCV delete. Other mods include complete EGR delete, in-tank lift pump installed and 3.7L air box intake.

The trans rebuilder that I purchased the pump from recommended that I have the TCM reprogrammed after discussing the 545RFE symptoms (and 'fixes' prior to the shift kit install) with him. He thought that the problem lies in 1) the TCM programming or 2) a faulty sensor that may be giving the ECM/TCM a faulty load range from the engine.

Everything that I have seen of the trans (with the TC/front pump and valve body removed) looks to be in excellent/near new condition.

I have a CDJR dealer 60 miles away that has the equipment still available to reprogram the TCM and stated that it is about a 2-hr process.

The price of a SunCoast or billeted, low-stall TC is just to far out of the budget. I did a good bit of research before replacing the TC, but probably should have opted for a reman'd Hemi TC (for about the same price as the stock TC) as discussed in several threads on here. I'm not opposed to dropping the trans a 3rd time (TC and pump were done separately), but would go w/the TCM reprogram if that is the best/most likely path to be successful in eliminating the shudder.

What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: 2005 CRD Shudder Help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:10 pm 
LOST Addict

1. TCM reprogramming won’t help. The dealer will only program in exactly what is meant for the CRD which is what you’ve already got.
If you want different TCM programming, get a TCM from a 2005 Dodge Ram hemi. I got one off eBay for $35. I rarely get shudder but the shift points are different and it’s more likely to downshift instead of shuddering. So in some ways it’s better and some ways it’s not.
You can also try getting a Sonnax line pressure booster which is a simple plug in thingy.

2. You probably should have gotten a torque converter for a Dodge Ram hemi. Also available from Florida TC. Naturally they won’t recommend it to you because yours is not the correct application. But several here have had success with it.

3. It seems that the ECM tune has more influence over shudder than the TCM tune. The TCM only controls the shifting while the ECM controls actual engine power.
I’m currently running the GDE Eco tune in my ECM. Shudder is nearly impossible because engine power is reduced at the speeds where the TC clutch is applied.
So maybe try a different tune.
For me, shudder was really bad with Nick’s 811 stage 1 tune.
But the Yeti 811 stage 4 was a lot smoother.

Under what conditions are you getting shudder?
Towing a trailer?
Accelerating up a mountain?
The easiest way to control shudder is with your right foot.
And sometimes, under the right conditions, turning OD-off helps too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 pm 

You have two choices!
Go back to your stock tune and hope and pray it does not shudder,
or
install a better upgraded torque converter and a Transgo Kit to increase the line pressure to help hold the increased torque of a performance tune.
Suncoast is the best, but as others have stated, many good reviews on the Hemi TC and a few others out there.

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the replies so far.

Shudder is really only apparent in overdrive with slight acceleration or going up a slight grade (not enough to downshift in either condition). I don't tow much with the Jeep and only noticed shudder one time while towing a 16' utility trailer, and that was before all of the mentioned work was completed.

I'll plan to flash in another tune tomorrow and give it a test.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:10 pm 

BatesBunch wrote:
Shudder is really only apparent in overdrive with slight acceleration or going up a slight grade

If you depress the button on the side of the gear shifter when you first feel shudder, it should stop it.
If you learn to baby it on grades and / or when accelerating, you can live with it for a while using the button on the side of the gear shifter.

But you will have to learn how to be cognisant of the shudder in 5th gear overdrive when TC is locked up.
What you are feeling, shudder, is the clutches in the TC slipping and chattering while in the locked up condition.
Continuing to allow it to shudder will very soon wear the clutches out in the TC to where you will have no choice but to replace the TC. :roll:
It can also cause overheating of the transmission fluid and turn it dark which can cause problems to other parts inside the tranny....

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:30 pm 
LOST Member

I would not recommend using any additive to the ATF+4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:49 pm 
LOST Addict

PZKW108 wrote:
I would not recommend using any additive to the ATF+4

X2. And I agree that the line booster is worth a try. I have a similar story, only I'm using the gde eco tune and a suncoast. I thought my new transmission had the upgraded parts, but it's a 2012 or 13, so next I need to upgrade with the sonax valve.
My shudder is worse with my 245/75 duratracs, and I'm lifted.
What size tires are you running?
Oh, the sonax line booster didn't help my shuddder...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Stock tires. No lift.

I personally do not care for additives, but was looking to sell and the buyer was willing to try the LubeGard. I could live with the shudder, but it definitely hinders prospective buyers.

I really like the little Jeep, but it is a case of having too many vehicles and my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD is just the more practical vehicle to keep.

Going to load some other tunes to see what it does, seeing that there has been addt'l work completed since my last try with different tunes.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:34 pm 
LOST Member

Do you have the F37 service bulletin for the 2005 trans tune? I have a 2005 CRD with GDE Eco tune and have the original trans shift points. Mine shifts to 5th at 57mph and sit at 1700rpm's. If I have the cruise on going up a hill it will definitely shudder. I have to kick off cruise and use the foot sparingly to avoid shudder. My brother has a 2006 everything equal but with the F37 so it won't shift until 62mph and he doesn't get any shudder at 55 - 60mph.