It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2004 2.8L head from UK, alternate temp sender option
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:18 pm 
LOST Addict

I gambled and bought a 2004 head from the UK.
Looks identical except there is only 1 water port on the intake side, and it had an identical to ours temp sender housed theirin.

Useful:
1. Puts to rest any worries about eliminating the egr cooling circuit as this head doesn't even have the port and the head is stamped with the exact same part #.
2. Gives us another option for temp sender home. Insulated from exhaust/ turbo heat, and directly inside the head. Maybe worse/archaic design/location?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Last edited by Mountainman on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 2004 2.8L head from UK, alternate temp sender option
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
My new one from IDParts also only had one water port on the intake side, but with the Weeks kits, it was unneeded and blocked off.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
Looks identical except there is only 1 water port on the intake side, and it had an identical to ours temp sender.

Useful:
1. Puts to rest any worries about eliminating the egr cooling circuit as this head doesn't even have the port and the head is stamped with the exact same part #.
2. Gives us another option for temp sender home. Insulated from exhaust/ turbo heat, and directly inside the head. Maybe worse/archaic design/location?

This blue sensor is the coolant temp sensor on my 2.5 in the MJ, is this the same location you are thinking of?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 pm 

I was always of the opinion that this center outlet from the head to the EGR cooler and then back to the suction of the water pump could be detrimental to the head and the engine as it allows coolant to totally bypass the thermostat and the radiator cooling circuit. This could allow coolant temperatures in the head due to this circular environment to rise to undesirable levels. A very poor design to say the least! :roll:

That is why it is best to totally remove the EGR system and all it's plumbing...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Looks identical except there is only 1 water port on the intake side, and it had an identical to ours temp sender.

Useful:

This blue sensor is the coolant temp sensor on my 2.5 in the MJ, is this the same location you are thinking of?

Yup, exactly the same spot. I knew someone was going to burst my bubble.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:17 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
I was always of the opinion that this center outlet from the head to the EGR cooler and then back to the suction of the water pump could be detrimental to the head and the engine as it allows coolant to totally bypass the thermostat and the radiator cooling circuit. This could allow coolant temperatures in the head due to this circular environment to rise to undesirable levels. A very poor design to say the least! :roll:

That is why it is best to totally remove the EGR system and all it's plumbing...

I wonder if that is another feature for faster warm-up to further reduce emissions?
Meh, I'm with you. I also really like eliminating SEVERAL coolant hose connections that will leak eventually.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:30 am 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

I wonder if that is another feature for faster warm-up to further reduce emissions?
Meh, I'm with you. I also really like eliminating SEVERAL coolant hose connections that will leak eventually.

Instead of completely blocking off the EGR cooler port on the side of the head, I routed it to the heater core. I did this because I broke one of the plastic fittings on the thermostat housing.
It functions exactly the same as the stock heater hose routing.

The rear coolant port on the side of the head is where I attached a temperature sensor.
The sensor doesn't actually go into the water jacket. Its just attached to the threaded plug.
I had a theory that the rear cylinders were running hotter than the front. Now I know that is not the case. But it does allow me to compare cylinder head temp to coolant temp and how well the cooling system is removing heat from the head.
For example, when stopped and idling, cylinder head and coolant temp are almost equal. But as rpm and coolant flow increases, head temp starts to drop while coolant temp stays about the same.