It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Window regulator won't stay clipped
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:03 pm 
LOST Member

I had two broken regulators on the rear windows of two different Libertys. I installed the china made metal repair kit from Ebay (I've done this before, but the other fixes were done on the clipless design). These two have the metal spring clip that you install to fasten the window to the regulator.

When I roll the window up, the ball snaps out of the clip about half way up. I removed the rubber to see if I could get it to snap together farther, but it doesn't seem to go in far enough.

Am I doing something wrong or are these china repairs defective? Go ahead and tell me I should have bought the Steigers :)

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

Post subject: Re: Window regulator won't stay clipped
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeh you should have bought made in the USA - go cheap get cheap. That said if you have the 05 and early 06 ball studs that mention of the spring clip implies there are some critical steps you need to take to make sure the clip does not pop off the ball.

1. the posts the ball studs mount to must be absolutely perpendicular to the plate they go thru. Gently bend the posts if necessary.
2. the clips must be exactly centered on the side of the balls. If not gently bend the posts as needed.
3. once repair parts are installed but BEFORE putting the water dam and door panel back in place run the window full up/down at least 6 full cycles to be sure the clips don't pop off.
4. if they pop off either a) steps 1 and 2 were not done properly of b) the cheap parts you got are defective.

FYI my son and I installed 2 full sets of Steigers (fr and rr) on my 05 and his 06 (same style regulators and window attachment) and only had 1 pop off right after assembly (no problem for years after). In that case it was obvious, in hindsight, that steps 1 and 2 were not done properly.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:38 pm 
LOST Member

Update:

Yes, one ball was slightly bent,,, not perpendicular to the bracket. So I straightened it, but it still would not snap.

So I pushed from the backside and used a very small screw driver to force the wire clip behind the ball. Needed to push in on the wire clip and force it at the same time. A little tricky but it is totally secure now.

The other ball appeared to be straight as far as I could see. Same trick as above with screwdriver.

Thanks papaindigo.

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:07 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
I ought to look into fixing this with new parts one of these days. I've avoided even touching those buttons since I got the jeep.

'Steigers'?

Link?
Google wasn't my friend.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Link below. FYI there are 2 styles of window regulator attachments 05 and early 06 and then late 06. To add to the entertainment if DCJ repaired a window then you might have gotten a late 06 regulator on an 05 or early 06. Moral pay attention to a) regulator styles and b) L vs R and FR vs RR.

http://www.steigerperformance.com/

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:13 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
papaindigo wrote:
Link below. FYI there are 2 styles of window regulator attachments 05 and early 06 and then late 06. To add to the entertainment if DCJ repaired a window then you might have gotten a late 06 regulator on an 05 or early 06. Moral pay attention to a) regulator styles and b) L vs R and FR vs RR.

Thank you, Sir.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:

I have one of these. The left rear was replaced with the new part. The dealer helpfully put a sticker on the door indicating such. I of course didn't notice the sticker on the good door when I bought a pair of the old style when the other side went out... :roll:

2006 GMC Sierra Duramax/Allison - the toy
RIP - 1995 Tahoe 6.5 TD
1990 JD 332, yep, the mower is a diesel too