It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red Oil in Coolant Tank
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not as simple as the subject suggests. I have a 2005 Liberty CRD. I have a bright red oil in the Coolant Tank. I sipped 1/2 cup of ATF out of the dip stick tube with a hose 3" longer than the dipstick and it was clean red. I disconnected the ATF Cooler line and it was clean red.

I had the trans rebuilt 4 months ago. They bypassed the AC/Trans Condenser and put in a stand alone ATF Cooler. I cannot find or see any lines going into the Radiator Tanks (Like normal Auto Trans) and I cannot find any ports for lines.

Engine oil is black (normal for my CRD) and there is no foam or froth. Normal levels.

Is there any other areas where ATF and Engine Coolant come close enough to mix? Could it be power steering fluid (It has ATF in it)? I cannot find that option for a mixing. I am head scratching and I want answers before I go back to the Trans Shop.

RJ

Post subject: Re: Red Oil in Coolant Tank
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:09 pm 
LOST Addict

there is no place where the coolant and trans fluid cross paths.
I think someone accidentally filled trans fluid in the wrong hole.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Obviously I was not suggesting that the fluid mixed and then went their separate ways to do their job. When I used the term "close enough to mix", i was suggesting that somewhere a gasket, or thin walled tube or pipe could have ruptured and that was all that separated the ATF from the Coolant.

For the uninformed, almost every Auto Trans I have ever dealt with has a coolant line that is hooked up to the Radiator Tank. Inside the tank is a small coolant bath that cools ATF. A failure of this internal pipe system is the classic cause for an ATF Transfer to or from the coolant (Anti-freeze). This does not seem to be the case in this vehicle as I cannot find any lines to the coolant tank. Perhaps I am missing something as there is not a lot of space here. I have spent approximately 4 hours tracing every line and hose to try and determine where the cause could be. I have even taken part of the front end off.

Since no one else adds fluid, it is highly unlikely that anyone else snuck under my hood and added ATF to that tank. There are many other ways someone could cause me grief. Since I flushed the system twice, and new fluid showed up. This also suggests that mistaken fluid is not a likely cause.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:31 pm 
LOST Addict

RJV wrote:
For the uninformed, almost every Auto Trans I have ever dealt with has a coolant line that is hooked up to the Radiator Tank. Inside the tank is a small coolant bath that cools ATF.

A factory stock CRD radiator does not have a transmission cooler inside the radiator.
The only transmission cooler was build into the bottom half of the AC condenser.

Power steering fluid is red too. But there again, there is no place where power steering fluid passes through the radiator or any other part of the cooling system.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Now, maybe its actually engine oil that when mixed with the coolant looks reddish.
IDK if that actually could happen. Usually engine oil and coolant mix into a grey sludge.
But its far more likely for engine oil to get into your cooling system then it is for transmission fluid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:37 pm 

As Flash stated: there is no place on this vehicle where the two fluids, ATF & engine coolant, come in close contact with each other. No gaskets, no seals, etc...
And as you stated, there is NO transmission fluid cooler in the radiator on a Jeep CRD. It has a stand alone air to fluid cooler.
Red ATF fluid in the coolant tank would of have to have been poured into it by someone! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Very unusual! :dizzy:

A thought. What antifreeze coolant is in this vehicle? :idea:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the comments, I am open to all sound theories. This is the first time I have ever posted on an automotive forum. I usually find someone else has the same problem as I do.

1. After the flushings, I used lime/yellow generic coolant. After 5 minutes of moving the car in my driveway, the red oil floated to the top of the tank.
2. I believe, based upon the comments, I can rule out the rupture of an ATF line in the coolant tank. It is not stock and I did not add it.
3. While my daughter drove the car for a short while, It is not reasonable to assume that someone added oil to the coolant.
4. Given that, the likelyhood is that it is another oil. Since the AC is now separate from the ATF, then I must assume that it is not Refrigerant that has bubbled up and caused this mess.
5. The only piece if info I have not given you is that the oil turns yellow and looks like thin mustard as the vehicle heats up. New oil is red, bubbling oil is yellow. My engine oil is very black, so I initially ruled out engine oil. I have never seen a red color like this.

Based on this, what is the likelyhood that this is engine oil and that it has somehow turned red in the yellow coolant, then turns mustard yellow? Does not seem likely, but I am still scratching my head. Engine oil = Head Gasket? Cracked block/head? Turbocharger (I know there is some coolant fluid there, but I am not an expert in this area)?

I am open to any reasonable suggestion.

RJV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Not sure what you mean by generic lime yellow coolant.
The proper coolant is called HOAT and is most commonly found on the store shelves as Zerex G-05.
There are other companies that make HOAT and the colors vary slightly.
The Zerex G-05 that I buy is mostly clear with a slightly yellow tint.

HOAT only mixes with HOAT.
If you mixed any other type of coolant with HOAT, even the universal stuff, it will create a sludge that will eventually clog your radiator.

Now, I know you just flushed your cooling system but if you refilled with anything other than HOAT and there was even the slightest amount of HOAT remaining in the system, you might end up with a odd sludgy coolant mixture.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:04 pm 
LOST Member

My guess; When the trans shop bypassed the oem cooler, they first drained off a little coolant.. and caught it in one of their sanitary :roll: catch pans.. Which was returned to your bottle when the job was done, complete with the residual ATF (which is now floating on top of the coolant, and pours out first)

Whenever I get contamination of oil in my coolant.. (blown oil cooler etc) it's Cascade dish washer power time, and a couple of rinses.

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
IMO the only likely possibility is someone, somehow, put it there.
They don't belong together, and the vehicle offers no occasion for them to blend.

If you feel the need, clamp the hose that runs from the bottom of the bubbler tank, remove it from the tank, and drain it out the bottom. Reconnect the hose, and re-fill with proper coolant. In my opinion this really isn't necessary, as the oil will stay on top and not hurt anything.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I can't find them, but somewhere in here were pictures of the goo that happens when other antifreeze is mixed with the proper HOAT. Someone actually cut open and sectioned his radiator to show the plugging, as well as some he was able to free up from hoses and his water pump.

If someone knows where or how to find those pics, it would be helpful to compare, but if I remember correctly, it was more of a tannish color.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set