It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No start, thinking key switch
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:29 am 
LOST Newbie

Jeep wouldnt start the other day. Key turns to the on position fine but turning to start it doesnt seem to turn all the way. I removed the key cylinder. Everything seems fine there. Inspected everything else and cant seem to find a definite problem.

Anyone ever had an issue like this?

If so what fixed it?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: No start, thinking key switch
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:58 am 

cody.vandieren wrote:
Jeep wouldnt start the other day. Key turns to the on position fine but turning to start it doesnt seem to turn all the way. I removed the key cylinder. Everything seems fine there. Inspected everything else and cant seem to find a definite problem.
If so what fixed it?
Thank you

Ignition Switch Actuator Pin or Rod as some call it, most likely is broken.
It is a weak plastic part! :roll:

:POPCORN:
see this youtube video on how to replace:> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5m31g0-3wI
Ignition Switch Actuator Pin Repair Installation Video demonstrated on a PT Cruiser. The procedure is very similar on Wrangler, Liberty and Neon for this part.

Autozone:
Ignition Actuator; #295435 924-704 DORMAN
Ignition Starter Switch; #293143 LS1027

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:25 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
cody.vandieren wrote:
If so what fixed it?
Thank you

Ignition Switch Actuator Pin or Rod as some call it, most likely is broken.
It is a weak plastic part! :roll:

:POPCORN:
see this youtube video on how to replace:> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5m31g0-3wI
Ignition Switch Actuator Pin Repair Installation Video demonstrated on a PT Cruiser. The procedure is very similar on Wrangler, Liberty and Neon for this part.

Autozone:
Ignition Actuator; #295435 924-704 DORMAN
Ignition Starter Switch; #293143 LS1027

Lets say we are 'holding' the steering wheel a little to the left or right during shut down.. 'click'... the engine is off, and column is 'locked'. Now that the power steering is also 'off'... the little preload is now all on that locking mechanism. Turning the key on next start-up can be difficult, unless we counter act the steering wheel a little. Is this what is causing this part to break or bend?

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:01 pm 
LOST Member

cody.vandieren wrote:

If so what fixed it?

Thank you

WWDiesel has posted a neat picture of the Actuator Pin Assembly that probably needs replacing.

The tip of the assembly is a hollow rectangular tube with a hole down its center with a sliver of plastic protruding from it. The end of this rectangular hollow tube is what rotates the ignition switch to turn ignition On at first and then to rotate a bit more to move the ignition switch to the "Start" position. This Start position is spring loaded within the ignition switch itself so this is the "resistance" you expect to feel when moving to the Start position. What tends to happen is that the tip of the actuator pin starts to bend under this final pressure. Initially it will let you proceed to Ignition but eventually it breaks off.

So normally you would see small bits of plastic falling down as you pull the ignition switch off from the actuator pin...maybe you did not notice that.
What you need to do is once again remove the ignition switch off from the actuator pin and check for damage. Then with the ignition key in its normal position to enable SKIS anti theft and unlock the steering wheel lock.....take a small flat screwdriver and rotate the ignition switch...the engine should turn over and run.

There is a chance that the rotational position of the ignition switch with respect to the actuator pin has moved...I had this with my Export 2002 CRD..so the hole that the single small Security Torx screw goes through to fix the assembly to the steering column needs to be elongated so as to be able to rotate the switch slightly.

If the actuator pin and ignition switch are OK, try starting in Park instead of Neutral.
Then remove the Starter Relay from the fuse/relay box under the hood. Identify female pins 30 and 87 inside the empty socket. With the Jeep in Park or Neutral briefly jumper these pins 30 and 87 together....if ignition is ON and Fuse #8 40 Amps is OK the Jeep should turn over and run. This bypasses the ignition switch, actuator pin, Park and Neutral interlocks and enable you to drive until you get the correct parts. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:08 pm 

rancherman wrote:
Lets say we are 'holding' the steering wheel a little to the left or right during shut down.. 'click'... the engine is off, and column is 'locked'. Now that the power steering is also 'off'... the little preload is now all on that locking mechanism. Turning the key on next start-up can be difficult, unless we counter act the steering wheel a little. Is this what is causing this part to break or bend?

One should never leave the lock/key cylinder under tension when cutting the engine off if at all possible... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:54 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
rancherman wrote:

One should never leave the lock/key cylinder under tension when cutting the engine off if at all possible... :wink:

I'm guilty too! In a fast egress, I'll slam the vehicle into park, turn the key off, and have one foot out the door before the engine is done spinning down.. at which point the power steering 'hold' collapses, and puts a fair amount of pressure on the now-locked cylinder/column..
Very common in my 2000 cummins with manual trans.. Lots of time I'll have to wrestle the steering wheel just to get the key to 'unlock' position.. But I do a lot of 'still rolling' shut offs, and have bailed out of the truck just as it comes to a stop. (not too fussy how we park around 'here') :SOMBRERO:
I think some of that trucks problem is it's so high up, that my 'shorter' drivers use the steering wheel as a help handle to exit, that they are torqueing the steering over until it clicks.. making the next key turning event much harder.

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:15 pm 
LOST Addict

cody.vandieren wrote:

If so what fixed it?

Thank you

Decent chance its the pin as already mentioned, I made a video on how to replace it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mo3OADUnA

I also made a video showing how to test and bypass it to check the rest of your starting system, do this and see if the vehicle still starts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EauvjE5VUU0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:08 pm 

Sir Sam wrote:
cody.vandieren wrote:
If so what fixed it?
Thank you

Decent chance its the pin as already mentioned, I made a video on how to replace it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mo3OADUnA
I also made a video showing how to test and bypass it to check the rest of your starting system, do this and see if the vehicle still starts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EauvjE5VUU0

Good videos! :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys the actuator is what I was thinking also.

I did try starting in neutral and still nothing. Ended up jumping starter to get it home.

:JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:57 am 
LOST Junkie

I ordered the dorman part as a precautionary measure last week since turning the key feels a little sloppy lately. The day it arrived, I put it in the jeeps glove box. That same afternoon, Jeep won't start. Ignition actuator failed. Lol. Talk about timing. Also, the wife had literally just got home from a 400 mile trip.

Thanks sir Sam for the video. It made this fix a breeze.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:46 pm 
LOST Addict

ebbnflow wrote:
I ordered the dorman part as a precautionary measure last week since turning the key feels a little sloppy lately. The day it arrived, I put it in the jeeps glove box. That same afternoon, Jeep won't start. Ignition actuator failed. Lol. Talk about timing. Also, the wife had literally just got home from a 400 mile trip.

Thanks sir Sam for the video. It made this fix a breeze.

Glad to help!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:19 pm 
LOST Addict

I had one with this problem about 4 years ago wish both videos had been available then. Thanks Sir Sam for all your great videos! No telling how many people you helped with the Timing Belt video.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden