It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liberty Turbo replacement cost?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:04 am 
LOST Newbie

This site has been an awesome source of information. I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD, purchased in late April, and it has been one repair after another. I did my noobie diligence (cleaned MAP sensor, changed air filter). Graduated to addressing a smoke and low power issue (crack in vacuum line elbow). Even reset the first injector that was leaking (washer and o-ring). Discovered an oil leak (dealer replaced the rear mail crank seal). Unfortunately, there still is an oil leak and the local dealer found oil in the turbo.

Here is my question: How much does it cost to replace the turbo on average for a Liberty CRD?

Was quoted that parts alone cost $4500, which is more than the car is worth at this point. Looking to sell it as it has become the proverbial money pit, but want to know how to discount it to reflect the cost of the turbo. Thanks in advance for the comments.

Matt in York

Post subject: Re: Liberty Turbo replacement cost?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:43 am 
LOST Member

There is always some oil in the turbo because the crank case breather vents into the intake side of the turbo. Turbo could still be bad but I would take it to someone with more knowledge. I sent my turbo to be rebuilt by a member here and iirc $850 with shipping covered the turbo. Installing a turbo is fairly straight forward. It cannot take more then 3 hours of labor to do so.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:29 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Oil in the turbo isn't necessarily a bad thing. We need more details. How much oil, and where. Pics would help.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:53 am 
LOST Addict

Some oil is normal around the turbo as the CCV vents into the intake of the turbo (see elephant hose mod or provent). Even with the CCV rerouted some oil is normal to get that slips past the turbo seals.

That said its hard to day how much oil is normal for you. What makes you think the turbo is bad?

If you remove the inlet air accordion tube you can see and feel the compressor wheel, if there is massive slop side to side, or chewed up metal, then its a bad turbo, if there is just a little side to side play, then its likely normal.

I bought a CRD a couple of years ago with a failed turbo, massive amounts of oil dumped into the exhaust making a huge smoke cloud when it got even a little warm(cat heating up). I think the shop also quoted 7K to repair, which included other items like a new exhaust manifold and intercooler, which I feel are unnecessary.

I bought this turbo for the jeep:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0 ... UTF8&psc=1

And installed it myself, overall I think it would be able 2-3-4 hours of work depending on your skill level. For me the worst part of it was the oil that entered the exhuast, it makes a MASSIVE thick cloud before it finishes burning off. I even removed the exhaust and let it drain out and rinsed it with gas, and got more out, but still made a huge cloud of smoke, I waiting untill nighttime and headed right for the country road with a totally cool engine, and kept the engine shutoff at lights, so I could keep it cool untill I was out of town.

Depending on how it blew out you might need to pull the intercooler to drain it of oil.

There are other turbo options, someone around here is offering a rebuilt upgraded turbo, and Sasquatch offers a new upgraded turbo as well, both are cost effective compared to OEM.

for what its worth I would likely skip the Stigan, its cost effective, and the quality seems fine overall, however I had an issue with the vacuum actuator sticking on it, and I think some others had issue with the adjustment of the vacuum actuator on it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:12 am 
LOST Addict

Also, if you are paying someone to replace it I would expect 2-3k for a replacement at a non dealer shop. Doing it yourself less than $1000 and some hours of frustration and greasyness.

Do you feel competent to replace it yourself? Where are you located?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks so much for the help.

Skills: I am a hobbyist, not a mechanic. I can turn a wrench and do maintenance. No lift available, so a garage floor is the limit of my access.
Why I think the turbo is bad: I believe the turbo is bad, honestly, because the mechanic at the dealer said so. There is a bit of noise, beyond the nice turbo spool-up sound, that I hear with the window open on the passenger side. I have not pulled the hose off to look in it yet myself.

Honestly, once the vacuum was fixed, MAP sensor was cleaned, and I did a little an Italian tune-up, my smoking issue all but disappeared. I have replaced boost hoses with SAMCO per the recommendations on this site as well. I will try and look at the turbo this week, based on your recommendations. I also have on order a new fuel filter as the glow plug sensor comes on intermittently and I was told by the dealer this can indicate there is water in the filter.

I do have an appointment to have another non-dealer shop look at it this week. Will see what they say.

One last question to the group - When my rear main crank seal was replaced, they mentioned the crank may be out of speck in terms of play. Apparently the repair kit has a shim that corrects for this, but it has concerned me since they mentioned it. (As you can see, I do not have a lot of confidence in my local dealers.) Would appreciate anyone with knowledge regarding this commenting.

Really appreciate all your thoughts and comments. I am in a bit over my head. Thanks for the assist.

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Beginning to sound like the next thing you need to change may be your mechanic.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:19 pm 
LOST Addict

No lift needed for the turbo, all can be done with the wheels on the ground.

I'd recommend you pull the intake boot and check for play on the turbo shaft and look at the compressor wheel, take pics and report back what you find.

This is a VERY bad turbo inlet:

If you see anything close to that, or have enough play for the compressor wheel to hit the sides, then its bad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Howie wrote:
Thanks so much for the help.

Skills: I am a hobbyist, not a mechanic. I can turn a wrench and do maintenance. No lift available, so a garage floor is the limit of my access.
Why I think the turbo is bad: I believe the turbo is bad, honestly, because the mechanic at the dealer said so. There is a bit of noise, beyond the nice turbo spool-up sound, that I hear with the window open on the passenger side. I have not pulled the hose off to look in it yet myself.

Honestly, once the vacuum was fixed, MAP sensor was cleaned, and I did a little an Italian tune-up, my smoking issue all but disappeared. I have replaced boost hoses with SAMCO per the recommendations on this site as well. I will try and look at the turbo this week, based on your recommendations. I also have on order a new fuel filter as the glow plug sensor comes on intermittently and I was told by the dealer this can indicate there is water in the filter.

I do have an appointment to have another non-dealer shop look at it this week. Will see what they say.

One last question to the group - When my rear main crank seal was replaced, they mentioned the crank may be out of speck in terms of play. Apparently the repair kit has a shim that corrects for this, but it has concerned me since they mentioned it. (As you can see, I do not have a lot of confidence in my local dealers.) Would appreciate anyone with knowledge regarding this commenting.

Really appreciate all your thoughts and comments. I am in a bit over my head. Thanks for the assist.

Matt

Matt:

If indeed your turbocharger is pooched, it may not be bad enough that you can not rebuild it with an upgrade compressor/turbine wheel.

"diesel_guy86" has developed such a product, and it clearly appears to be a high quality part. Send him your old turbo, and he will send it back with the upgraded parts already installed. I think the price is well under $1,000.00 USD.

Apparently there is a noticeable upgrade in performance as well.

PM him if you are interested.

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:14 pm 
LOST Addict

I have dieselguy86’s turbo in mine and it is doing great. Been beating the crap out of it for 3 months or so up here at 6500’, a lot harder than most others are on their turbos.

It won’t come with a huge bump in performance though, you would also need a performance tune to take full advantage of the turbo. To max the turbo out you would need honed injectors.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Many thanks to the group. I will likely get to the jeep this weekend, try and look at the turbo and see what the next steps are. This group is worthy of your supportive reputation. (and yes, I need a new mechanic for sure. :lol: )

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
Some oil is normal around the turbo as the CCV vents into the intake of the turbo (see elephant hose mod or provent). Even with the CCV rerouted some oil is normal to get that slips past the turbo seals.

That said its hard to day how much oil is normal for you. What makes you think the turbo is bad?

If you remove the inlet air accordion tube you can see and feel the compressor wheel, if there is massive slop side to side, or chewed up metal, then its a bad turbo, if there is just a little side to side play, then its likely normal.

I bought a CRD a couple of years ago with a failed turbo, massive amounts of oil dumped into the exhaust making a huge smoke cloud when it got even a little warm(cat heating up). I think the shop also quoted 7K to repair, which included other items like a new exhaust manifold and intercooler, which I feel are unnecessary.

I bought this turbo for the jeep:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0 ... UTF8&psc=1

And installed it myself, overall I think it would be able 2-3-4 hours of work depending on your skill level. For me the worst part of it was the oil that entered the exhuast, it makes a MASSIVE thick cloud before it finishes burning off. I even removed the exhaust and let it drain out and rinsed it with gas, and got more out, but still made a huge cloud of smoke, I waiting untill nighttime and headed right for the country road with a totally cool engine, and kept the engine shutoff at lights, so I could keep it cool untill I was out of town.

Depending on how it blew out you might need to pull the intercooler to drain it of oil.

There are other turbo options, someone around here is offering a rebuilt upgraded turbo, and Sasquatch offers a new upgraded turbo as well, both are cost effective compared to OEM.

for what its worth I would likely skip the Stigan, its cost effective, and the quality seems fine overall, however I had an issue with the vacuum actuator sticking on it, and I think some others had issue with the adjustment of the vacuum actuator on it.

Hey Sam, are you able to give a semi-long term report on the Stigan? (Isn't this the one your Dad is using?) Just interested in how they stand up long term (or what has failed) under what I assume is relatively light use, and regular maintenance.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set