It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '06 CRD blowing smoke + vibration + rhythmic knocking
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey everyone. This is my first post on this forum, and I've found the website to be very helpful in the past, and I'm still learning about vehicles in general so please forgive me if I'm a bit ignorant.

I'm the second owner of my 2006 Liberty CRD. Bought it at 40k miles a couple of years ago, put 35k on it since. I've done the basic maintenance myself (though I'm due for the maintenance required as per the manual at 70k or 75k).

The problem(s): The vehicle has suddenly changed its idling to a consistent RPM ever-so-slightly off from what it once was (before, the rpm rate varied every 5 or so seconds by about 100RPMs).

Accompanied by this change of idle is a noticeable and consistent vibration (most noticeale by holding the stearing wheel), a rhythmic knocking/ticking/awful sound which increases along with the RPMs (this was not present before), and I'm blowing smoke out of the exhaust (so bad that someone pointed it out to me on the road).

I promptly dropped the vehicle off at a shop since this is my only mode of transportation and I need it fixed ASAP. Uber is getting expensive very fast.

Is anyone familiar with these symptoms? I don't want to get robbed by this shop, so I'm hoping you all can help me identify the problem before the shop finds a way to rob me (though I have no reason to believe that the mechs are unqualified or dishonest).

Thank you for your help!

Post subject: Re: '06 CRD blowing smoke + vibration + rhythmic knocking
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:15 pm 
LOST Member

Do not start the vehicle anymore until you figure out what this is. It could be relatively minor or it could be a catastrophic failure of your motor if you keep running it. We need a LOT more information to diagnose this.

First and foremost...have you read the noob guide at the top of the forum?

Has the timing belt ever been replaced on the vehicle, and if so, by who?
Is the EGR (Exhaust Gas Re-circulation) system still installed and active?
Do you have the Gen2 fuel filter head (one blue electrical plug) installed?
Do you have an aftermarket lift-pump installed?
Have you inspected the turbo impeller shaft for play? The result?

Now, there are a few things worth mentioning here that can play into what you might be feeling. The AC compressor is designed to turn on and off in almost every mode except for off and maybe duel-mode? I don't remember exactly. In any case, you will hear and feel the difference when it does this, so make sure the selector is in the off or "O" position. Don't start it up just to test this, but when you do get around to starting it up again, does this change what you're feeling at all?

This could be something as simple as air in fuel or as drastic as a failing rocker/valve assembly or possibly a turbo issue.. If it is the former, it can be dealt with routinely and without too much trouble. If it is the latter, then some serious work needs to be done to ensure that no damage has been done and no more damage IS done.

Regarding your shop. You'll find very little enthusiasm for dealerships and even established shops from users here. We are mostly people who like to turn our own wrenches because these CRD's are a rare breed and are not understood by most mechanics. Even those with significant experience. Most people who rely on a mechanic to perform the labor for them on these rigs find themselves in a new vehicle and a lighter wallet fairly quickly. CRD's need a LOT of TLC and paying $90+ per hour is out of the question for most of us. I say this so that you can enter the relationship with this shop with eyes wide open. Any mechanical troubles are likely going to be very expensive for them to fix for you.

Do some digging and get back to us ASAP with the answers to the questions above. If you need anything else explained better, just ask!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

send them fuel injectors to BOSCH for testing .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:24 pm 
LOST Member

MrSmee360 wrote:
Hey everyone. This is my first post on this forum, and I've found the website to be very helpful in the past, and I'm still learning about vehicles in general so please forgive me if I'm a bit ignorant.

I'm the second owner of my 2006 Liberty CRD. Bought it at 40k miles a couple of years ago, put 35k on it since. I've done the basic maintenance myself (though I'm due for the maintenance required as per the manual at 70k or 75k).

The problem(s): The vehicle has suddenly changed its idling to a consistent RPM ever-so-slightly off from what it once was (before, the rpm rate varied every 5 or so seconds by about 100RPMs).

Accompanied by this change of idle is a noticeable and consistent vibration (most noticeale by holding the stearing wheel), a rhythmic knocking/ticking/awful sound which increases along with the RPMs (this was not present before), and I'm blowing smoke out of the exhaust (so bad that someone pointed it out to me on the road).

I promptly dropped the vehicle off at a shop since this is my only mode of transportation and I need it fixed ASAP. Uber is getting expensive very fast.

Is anyone familiar with these symptoms? I don't want to get robbed by this shop, so I'm hoping you all can help me identify the problem before the shop finds a way to rob me (though I have no reason to believe that the mechs are unqualified or dishonest).

Thank you for your help!

If you are still rocking the original timing belt for a 2006 model year you are asking for major problems. Mine gave way at 96K miles about a year ago, was a very expensive lesson. Your belt has almost 13 years on it, time for replacement no matter what the other issues are.

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:17 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Knowing what country, possibly, what part of said country, you are from, can be helpful as well, as far as what resources you may have nearby.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:17 am 
LOST Member

When was it blowing 'smoke'; was it during light acceleration, heavy acceleration... just idling, all the time?
And what color was it?
Any 'change' in the way it starts.. extended crank, or still rips right to life?
Does the AC still work as good as it could?

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys. Turns out it was two bad injectors. No catastrophe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 pm 
LOST Member

MrSmee360 wrote:

Great news! Now change the timing belt ASAP, it's not the mileage it's the almost 13 years in the ozone on planet earth that is the issue. :grim:

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:41 pm 
LOST Member

vwroad87 wrote:
MrSmee360 wrote:

Great news! Now change the timing belt ASAP, it's not the mileage it's the almost 13 years in the ozone on planet earth that is the issue. :grim:

Running inside an enclosed 'box'... it's gotta be a hot MOTHER inside that timing cover.. I wonder if putting some sort of 'vent' to let it breathe? :frankie: Have to ensure no water, bugs, dirt gets in there.

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

vwroad87 wrote:
MrSmee360 wrote:

Understood. Doing that as well. Also changing out the OEM ceramic glow plugs. Thanks again for the help!