It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost jeeps lost key
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:01 pm 
LOST Member

The only electric key for my liberty disappeared under mysterious circumstances and I hadn't touched it for 6 months.

The spare non chip keys had another even worse fate...

I don't want a locksmith at the cars curent location, I understand they can make me a couple keys without being at the car, has anyone been down this road?

Also, is it possible to reset the computer so it doesn't accept the original key?

Any recommendations in the Spokane area?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Lost jeeps lost key
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:43 pm 
LOST Member

That sucks, you will need the key cut as you stated and also you will need a locksmith or dealer to code the new key to the computer so the theft protection system is updated with the new key. Only a dealer or locksmith has the equipment to reset this part of the computer for obvious reasons.

It is possible for the owner with TWO functional keys to re-code the computer with a new cut un-coded key.

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Certified Professional Locksmith here. Retired effectively 2012

NapaBavarian wrote:
The only electric key for my liberty disappeared under mysterious circumstances and I hadn't touched it for 6 months.

I don't want a locksmith at the cars curent location, I understand they can make me a couple keys without being at the car, has anyone been down this road?
If nothing has changed since factory, Given the VIN a qualified locksmith can make you a key that physically fits the door lock and ignition, but it will only work to turn. (NOT TO START) Typical mopar will turn the key and crank the motor. Some will even start for a few seconds, then shut themselves down and flash the security light.
Whether it be locksmith or dealer, to program the car to accept the key and start, they have to be physically at the car to connect the programming device.

IF YOU HAVE A KEY THAT WORKS, AND IF THEY HAVE A CLONE DEVICE THEY CAN MAKE A KEY THAT the vehicle THINKS is the key that was cloned, but they have to have the physical key that works in order to read the chip.

Also, is it possible to reset the computer so it doesn't accept the original key?
Yes, a dealer or a locksmith with a good programming system can do either way. Either add to current key set if there is room, or delete all current keys, and program the new only. If the second is done, be aware that the old keys will physically fit, allowing them to unlock the door and turn the ignition to unlock the steering column, but they will not start it for more than a few seconds.

Try http://findalocksmith.com/ Look for one that has a physical store location of their own. Not just one that operates as part of a chain hardware store or something. They tend to have a much greater interest in properly solving the customer's issue. Mobile only locksmiths are hit and miss. There are good ones that are mobile only, but most idiots and scammers are mobile only as well, so it's a bit of a minefield.

Thanks in advance.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:18 pm 
LOST Addict

A good local locksmith will be able to cut and program a new key for your jeep onsite. You can make it a little easier on them by getting the mechanical key # and vehicle electronic PIN.

The PIN is needed to program new keys to your vehicle.

I could program them if you removed your ecu and SKIM and mailed them to be, but it’s sort of silly for all that trouble of shipping stuff when a local locksmith can program it in less than 15 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:23 am 
LOST Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:

NapaBavarian wrote:

If nothing has changed since factory, Given the VIN a qualified locksmith can make you a key that physically fits the door lock and ignition, but it will only work to turn. (NOT TO START) Typical mopar will turn the key and crank the motor. Some will even start for a few seconds, then shut themselves down and flash the security light.
Whether it be locksmith or dealer, to program the car to accept the key and start, they have to be physically at the car to connect the programming device.

IF YOU HAVE A KEY THAT WORKS, AND IF THEY HAVE A CLONE DEVICE THEY CAN MAKE A KEY THAT the vehicle THINKS is the key that was cloned, but they have to have the physical key that works in order to read the chip.

Yes, a dealer or a locksmith with a good programming system can do either way. Either add to current key set if there is room, or delete all current keys, and program the new only. If the second is done, be aware that the old keys will physically fit, allowing them to unlock the door and turn the ignition to unlock the steering column, but they will not start it for more than a few seconds.

Try http://findalocksmith.com/ Look for one that has a physical store location of their own. Not just one that operates as part of a chain hardware store or something. They tend to have a much greater interest in properly solving the customer's issue. Mobile only locksmiths are hit and miss. There are good ones that are mobile only, but most idiots and scammers are mobile only as well, so it's a bit of a minefield.

Thanks in advance.

@GornadoCRD...I am aware that you have worked a lot in this area of re-programming keys but are you sure that it is possible to delete the original key code and re-program the PCM/ECM/SKIM module to a new code for new chipped keys?
My understanding...and according to the Service Manuals...is that the SKIM module on top of the steering column that reads the code off the chipped key....can only be programmed once!
It would therefor be required that a brand new blank SKIM module would have to be purchased from the Dealers and the Dealers would have to program this module once for the new code as exists on the new chipped keys! :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Billybob wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

NapaBavarian wrote:

Thanks in advance.

@GornadoCRD...I am aware that you have worked a lot in this area of re-programming keys but are you sure that it is possible to delete the original key code and re-program the PCM/ECM/SKIM module to a new code for new chipped keys?
My understanding...and according to the Service Manuals...is that the SKIM module on top of the steering column that reads the code off the chipped key....can only be programmed once!
It would therefor be required that a brand new blank SKIM module would have to be purchased from the Dealers and the Dealers would have to program this module once for the new code as exists on the new chipped keys! :?

You cannot change the PIN without a lot of work.

Why would you want to? Goto the dealer with your VIN and proof of ownership and they will give it to you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:37 am 
LOST Member

The OP stated that he wanted the stolen/lost chipped key disabled.
Maybe a crazy girlfriend or jealous husband?
Or the Repo Man?

Best to just get new keys cut and programmed to the existing PCM/SKIM code and fit a hidden switch under the dash cutting off the ASD relay or the SKIM wires going to the PCM as an additional security feature. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:45 am 
LOST Addict

When you program new keys you can remove old keys.

Sure they will unlock the jeep, but they won’t start it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:07 am 
LOST Addict

Billybob wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

NapaBavarian wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I have done it myself. Whomever does it will need the 4 number security code to access that part of the ECM. To get this from a dealer, you need to have photo id, proof of ownership, and the VIN# With all this stuff, the dealer will provide you with Sec.PIN and original key code.FOR FREE. A good locksmith can do this, but at the time I retired I still had to be vetted and signed to a national service to provide that information. NASTF is the service I used. But since it causes me to pay for the service, that is added onto the bill. It's better and cheaper to have everything you need ahead of time, but it takes a lot of time gathering everything together.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:07 pm 
LOST Member

Sir Sam wrote:
A good local locksmith will be able to cut and program a new key for your jeep onsite. You can make it a little easier on them by getting the mechanical key # and vehicle electronic PIN.

I could program them if you removed your ecu and SKIM and mailed them to be, but it’s sort of silly for all that trouble of shipping stuff when a local locksmith can program it in less than 15 minutes.

Thanks, I'll try to get those next week

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:01 pm 
LOST Member

Sir Sam wrote:

Could a dealer oe well equipped locksmith do this without the car available? I'm taking off in a couple days, keys would be nice to have when I return

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:10 pm 
LOST Addict

NapaBavarian wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Could a dealer oe well equipped locksmith do this without the car available? I'm taking off in a couple days, keys would be nice to have when I return

No. No matter what you need the PIN and the vehicle(or the SKIM). The only way to program a key is to have the SKIM "Learn" a key. This way no one can remotely make a key, and then go steal it. You have to have the registered owner get the PIN, and have access to the vehicle to program it. Its what makes it a good security measure.

Now I can roll up with a SKIM deleted ECU, install it, and unplug the vehicle skim, and then drive it off, but if I'm smart enough to do that I'm smart enough not to steal a Jeep.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:29 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Billybob wrote:

I have done it myself. Whomever does it will need the 4 number security code to access that part of the ECM. To get this from a dealer, you need to have photo id, proof of ownership, and the VIN# With all this stuff, the dealer will provide you with Sec.PIN and original key code.FOR FREE. A good locksmith can do this, but at the time I retired I still had to be vetted and signed to a national service to provide that information. NASTF is the service I used. But since it causes me to pay for the service, that is added onto the bill. It's better and cheaper to have everything you need ahead of time, but it takes a lot of time gathering everything together.

Sorry I didn't catch your confusion the first time, Billybob.
In this case, the SKIM functions are the same with all keys. The component that is one-time-use-only is the transponder chip within the key, and is true for both transponder-only keys, and for the transponder portion of integrated keys (with remote functions) as well.
So if all keys are deleted from the SKIM, NEW keys of the proper type can be written in, (minimum of 2) but the old keys cannot be used to start the vehicle. Only the tumbler functions will work, unless they are changed as well. (Lock/Unlock doors, Lock/Unlock steering column and accessory power)

The SKIM programming that can only be done once, is the marriage of the ECM, PCM/BCM, and SKIM. Once those are burned in as a set, they need to stay with each other. I once had to help a salvage yard un-clusterflok 3 Dodge trucks they had built from parts and pieces of at least a dozen organ donors. Fortunately we only had to find 3 working sets and make keys or re-key where needed.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set