It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Special tools 6828 and 9663
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:39 am 
LOST Newbie

I posted this question on the JeepKJ forum and I thought I would try it here.

I need special special tools 6828 and 9663 in order to diagnose fuel problems on my Liberty CRD. I've tried Mopar Essential tools, Amazon and Ebay as well as other sites and can't find them. Does anyone have any idea where I can find these tools or know appropriate substitutes? Special tool 6828 is a fuel pressure gauge and special tool 9663 is an adaptor needed to connect the pressure gauge to the fuel filter fuel head.

I would appreciate any help. I don't like replacing sensors or, God forbid, a fuel pump without doing some diagnosis.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Special tools 6828 and 9663
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:57 am 
LOST Junkie

Did you ask GDE if he rents those ones?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:27 pm 

Nmichiganjeep1 wrote:
I posted this question on the JeepKJ forum and I thought I would try it here.
I need special special tools 6828 and 9663 in order to diagnose fuel problems on my Liberty CRD. I've tried Mopar Essential tools, Amazon and Ebay as well as other sites and can't find them. Does anyone have any idea where I can find these tools or know appropriate substitutes? Special tool 6828 is a fuel pressure gauge and special tool 9663 is an adaptor needed to connect the pressure gauge to the fuel filter fuel head.
I would appreciate any help. I don't like replacing sensors or, God forbid, a fuel pump without doing some diagnosis.
Thanks

What is your Jeep's symptoms or problem?
If you post issues here, there are several highly qualified members who may be able to offer you some sound advice and solutions without the need for any special tools and / or the adaptor. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would concur with WWDiesel; we need a bit of information on your problem. Just to belabor the obvious the KJ CRD does not have an in tank fuel pump rather it has a CP3 belt driven injection pump on the front of the engine. The CP3 "pulls" (just like an old style engine mounted gasser fuel pump) fuel from the tank thru the fuel filter AND then passes fuel under pressure to the fuel rail on top of the engine. Between the fuel tank and the CP3 there is very little "pressure" on the system; in fact that's known to result in air in the fuel issues and air is sucked into the system as fuel is pulled from the tank. Sources of air include quick disconnect fittings at the tank; leaks in the filter head (bad seal at the bleeder; bad seal on the primer pump shaft; burnt seal at the plug for the fuel heater element; etc). The common fix for air in the fuel problems, other than replacing the 1st gen filter head, is an in tank or in line fuel pump.

Bottom line is we need hints as to whether the fuel problem you think you have is between the tank and the CP3 or internal to the CP3 or between the CP3 and the fuel rail.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:54 pm 

pap, his statement "special tool 9663 is an adaptor needed to connect the pressure gauge to the fuel filter fuel head" leads one to believe his problem is on the suction side of the CP3, but certainly more info is surely needed to offer sound advice.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Could be but I cannot find a link to a Miller tool #9663 and I would not expect issues on that side of the CP3 unless related to air in fuel. An easy check for that is a bit of clear vinyl tube spliced in between the filter outlet and the rubber outlet hose (cost maybe $4 for vinyl and a simple hose fitting.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wow, thanks for the attention.
Here is the background to my problem. I have a 2005 Liberty CRD. It left me stranded at the grocery store. I came back the next day and got it started but it started very hard with a lot of smoke and coughing but it evened out and by the time I got home it was running fine with good power. A couple days later I started it up and drove it to school and back but it started hard and ran with low power. I thought I got a bad tank of fuel so I replaced the fuel filter. I bled the fuel system and was able to start it and drive it but with the same problems. The next time I tried starting it it just would not start. I checked codes and got a P0093 code. Oregon Fuel Injection says this means it is not getting fuel and gave several remedies including replacing the filter but most remedies require the special tools to diagnose the problem. The problem could be anything from a bad crankshaft or camshaft position sensor or a bad continuous rail fuel pressure solenoid among other things including, God forbid the CP3 fuel pump.

I don't want to replace 3 or 4 good sensors before finding the one that is the problem. The Jeep has the updated fuel filter head. When I have time I will bleed the system again just to make sure. I personally think it is the fuel rail pressure solenoid but would like more information before I start buying parts.

Also I removed the EGR and reflashed the engine with a Green Diesel Eco-tune.

Thanks again everyone for your help, I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:22 pm 
LOST Addict

You will need a way of reading fuel rail pressure.
To do that I recommend getting a ELM 327 OBD Bluetooth adapter and the TorquePro app for android.

I suspect your problem is the fuel rail pressure sensor or it’s connector. It’s about midway in the rail.
When the fault happens again, unplug the sensor.
It will have reduced power but should run smoother.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Guys, I bought a Blue Driver scan tool and it basically says anything that can possibly go wrong with the fuel system might be the problem. It is nice in that it lists the problems in order of likelihood. I've already changed the filter. This weekend I will install a clear hose from the fuel filter to the CP3 pump and see what I get there. Then I'll work on getting the fuel out of the tank because I still think I may have gotten some bad fuel.

I'm still trying to find a fuel pressure / vacuum meter to help with diagnosis.
I'll keep you advised as things progress.

Any more ideas are welcome. Thanks everyone. Have a great evening.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

maybe you should check injectors. Just a thought...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

If the fuel is bad I'll have to check the injectors too. I have to get the bad fuel out first.
Thanks rankom.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

yes , if fuel is bad you need to get it out, injectors dont like bad fuel, so yes need to check them , i do have old jumper tube with capped welded end so that is my home made tool to cap injectors one at the time to see which one is sticking open , so let as know how is going with your diagnoses so we can give you more ideas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:18 am 
LOST Newbie

FWIW: If you have not dropped the tank before (like me), remember to unscrew the three screws that mounts the filler cap unit to the body before you start lowering the tank. This will enable you to drop the tank a couple of inches in order to unscrew the pipe clamp of the feed pipe to the tank and pop the pipe of BEFORE you drop the tank completely. I did not realize that the breather pipe got trapped below the feed pipe and I nearly severed it due to the weight of the fuel in the tank. The breather pipe (that needs to come out with the tank) is clipped to the feeder pipe with a plastic clamp that you can see and undo from the bottom. There is also a black earth wire clipped to the body inside the feeder tunnel that needs to be disconnected should you want to remove the feeder pipe.

With reference to your P0093 (fuel system large leak detected) fault code, when I replaced the injectors that was also the code displayed after I opened up the high pressure side. I trust that you will get the problem sorted out soon.

Susp:Ironman Coils, Shocks new bushes and ball joints
Therm: Replaced
EGR: Cleaned, re-installed
CCV Catch Can
MAP sensor: Cleaned
Injectors: Repl
Alt pulley: Repl
Serp Belt: Repl
Crank Pos Sens: Replaced
T/B & W/P: Repl @ 200k Km
Repl Cer GP with Etechno 7V GP 212k Km
Repl CCV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys. It is on my list of things to do to drop the tank this week and drain the fuel. I needed a break from working on cars for a while partly because I needed a break from mental frustration as well as get other stuff done. And thank you, Ludi, for the caution on dropping the tank. I didn't think of that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well guys, I replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor and no luck. I will try replacing the fuel rail pressure solenoid next. This isn't so easy because it requires special torquing specifications and you have to use an open end wrench. I have a crows foot socket wrench for my torque wrench on order so when that gets here I'll give that a try.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:05 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm sorry I disappeared for a while. I got extremely busy and had a bad time involving a hospital. I'm fine, no more problem there. I just wanted to let you know how things shook out with the Liberty.

I took the Jeep to a new diesel repair shop nearby. It's embarrassing but I had mistakenly put gasoline in the tank. They emptied the tank and flushed the system and all is good. I guess it is common here because green is the universal color for diesel on fuel pump handles but at the BP where I fill up the diesel handle is black and all the rest are green.

I owned the Jeep for 14 years and never did that.

Anyway thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:26 am 
LOST Member

Good to hear that you and your jeep are back on the road. In my local area, we have green, black or even yellow diesel handles. Gasoline is blended with ethanol here in various percentages and we see black, red, blue and yellow handles for that. Always a mistake waiting to happen.

I like to pour a little into a cup and give it a taste before filling up. :jester: So far, so good.

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:34 am 
LOST Addict

Thanks for filling us in on the ultimate conclusion. I am sure that it was somewhat embarrassing to share that. Along those lines I once put a gallon or so of diesel in a gas Ford Sportrac but recognized what I was doing. Since the tank was very close to empty and I knew it wouldn't run long with high percentage of diesel in fuel I went ahead and filled up with gas and luckily the engine ran on that mixture without harm.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:55 pm 

Thanks for the update! At least your story had a happy ending, glad it did not harm anything. :BANANA:
And let this serve as a warning to all of us when filling up our little diesels, especially if you are at a strange filling station that you are not familiar with!
It could happen to anyone!
I bet you will be much more attentive at the future when you fill up at the fuel filler pumps going forward.... :lol:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch