It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I wanna be a CRD owner & found one for sale.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:58 am 
LOST Newbie

Howdy. First time poster here. I recently discovered the diesel Liberty and I’ve been studying them. Ive read the noob section thoroughly. I found one for sale, went to look at it last night, and I drove it for a few miles.
I need some feedback.
The CRD in question is an 06 with a 2.8 in it with 117,000 miles on it.
It’s got hankook tires on it. Once I driove away in it the tire roar prevented me from hearing the engine or anything else for that matter. Once I got going the noise is steady and constant. As I slowed to a stop the noise stopped as well. The roar sounded like it comes more from the front and rolling the window down didn’t seem to change anything. I’m not used to driving with off road tires but is that level of noise normal? Sitting still the engine sounded normal for a diesel. It started stopped steered fine for a 4x4 as far as I could tell. It seemed to be in good running order. Looking under the hood it looks like it is bone stock with zero modifications.
It’s got a tow bar on the front and it obviously spent time being towed behind an RV. The current owner drives it daily. It’s clean underneath and zero signs of oil leaks. The owner Said it gets about 22mpg commuting to work and gets 30mpg on the highway. I live in the US so there’s not very many for sale and none I can find to compare this one to where I live.
I want a small 4x4 TD. In the US this is about my only chance to buy one without traveling to find another. If I go back for a second test drive what should I look for?
Thanks in advance. Reading the noob section makes me want to own a Jeep... especially a diesel one.
Matt

Last edited by InCumming on Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: I wanna be a CRD owner & found one for sale.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Welcome to lost!
I've seen those tires with cupping, I think they are garbage. It's also likely that there could be a bad wheel bearing or even both sides, but that's not worth avoiding a vehicle/normal.

Tell us where you are located and we might be able to point you towards other crd's for sale :JEEPIN:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

I’m in Atlanta, GA. I also asked about the noise in the drive line noise thread and a genius suggested I drive it on a dirt road...
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:03 pm 
LOST Addict

How much are they asking? I wouldn't pay more than $7k for a stock one at that mileage. Probably 8-8.5 for a limited if it was very clean. Those are TOP dollar prices for crd's without new rockers, ARP's, new timing set etc..

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the input. I wouldn’t give that CRD. Second glance if I hadn’t found this forum. I really want it. But I’ve got to figure out a few things before I take the plunge. I will keep reading and I will update when I go take a second look.
M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Sure thing. Plan on spending $3-$4k in parts to get it up to par. That includes timing set with water pump. If you have to pay for the work then buy one off of here with the upgrades or the labor costs will eat you alive

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:01 am 
LOST Newbie

How about THIS? Location not mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:10 am 
LOST Newbie

724 is PA. I’m still on the fence with this one but I’m going to take a second look at it soon and make a decision. I will update

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:26 pm 
LOST Addict

InCumming wrote:
724 is PA. I’m still on the fence with this one but I’m going to take a second look at it soon and make a decision. I will update

I'd skip rusty areas personally.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

I wouldn't buy one unless you are a mechanic.

ticking sound