It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intermittent ETC light, and MAP sensor check engine light
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:08 am 
LOST Newbie

Aloha LostJeeps community!
My apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, failed to find another post which might answer my question, or step on any other forum etiquette / expectations.

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD with the diesel engine, and have been having a problem with a sticky throttle pedal, intermittent ETC light, and recently, an intermittent MAP sensor check engine light coming on. The first two problems I have had for over a year now. The nature of the drive does not seem to effect the condition, and I live on a one mile very rough road, so suspect that rules out an electrical short. I let others use my vehicle for 2 years, so I do not know the initial progression of the problems I'm encountering.
I took the Jeep to two shops; the non-dealer shop said it had to be handled by the dealer because it was throwing so many codes (think they said 13), and the dealer continually gave me blatant misdiagnosis which leave me seriously doubting their credibility. After spending a couple thousand dollars with them, the replacement throttle pedal also sticks, and I get more check engine lights after going to the dealer than I had before.

Item by item:
The throttle pedal sticking seems like it has to be a mechanical/hydrolic issue within the pedal itself. I believe it mounts with a single bolt, and there's a magnet on the jeep end to read the pedal position. That being the case, and as the floor mat is interfearing, the only thing I can figure is that the pedal is in need of lubrication / cleaning? The pedal physically sticks.. if the pedal was drive by wire, I would think this was related to the throttle body valve or whatever being sticky causing the ETC codes.. but that doesn't make sense to me as it just reads the position via magnet.

The ETC errors are not directly connected to when the throttle and break are both being applied at the same time. I make sure to pull the pedal back with my toe to ensure correct pedal position when I'm breaking, and have had the error occur enough times to say with a certainty that the throttle pedal position vs. brakes is not triggering the symptom.
The ETC error on the dash is not effecting engine performance in any recognizable manner. I have not had the condition occur where I can't exceed a certain speed or any regular rough engine performance. I did encounter an unexplained lack of power many months ago when driving up a mild slope.. I revved the engine out a couple times in neutral, and it returned to the expected power curve. (It sounded like a typical obstruction issue.. gas or air) I should have, but have not changed either air filter or fuel filter since then. Visual inspection of air filter looked reasonable to me.

The check engine light came on and my code reader said it was complaining about the MAP sensor only recently. It's come on a couple times over several weeks since then. (I don't drive often, so that's like 10 drivings hours maybe) This has also not resulted in any noticeable change in engine performance.

That's what I know.
I'm fairly split as to what I should do about it.. and most of the solutions seem a bit pricey to do on a gambit. If I'm not noticing a change in engine performance/behavior which correlates to the ETC light coming on, should I suspect a bad sensor or computer? If I need to replace the throttle body, would it make sense that that would cause these symptoms in this manner? Would a loss of vacuum likely cause all of this? (I replaced one hose.. that was NOT fun! Way to place the hose before you cast the engine Jeep!)
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Intermittent ETC light, and MAP sensor check engine ligh
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:28 am 
LOST Member

Welcome to Lost.....you are posting in the correct forum ie. Love That Torque.
Where are you located?

First thing is to read Sams Noob Guide at the top of this Forum....covers lots of issues.

The MAP sensor possibly needs cleaning...the Noob Guide covers this.

I will let other members chip in here regarding your throttle problem and ETC problem...my 2002 Export 2.5 CRD is a bit out of date compare to your Jeep :wink: