It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mechanical Fan replacement bracket completed. Interest?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm 
LOST Member

Here's pics of the (finally) finished 2nd half of the Mechanical Fan replacement bracket:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5uht945u9ahyj ... 1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/662nn6rfpblqx ... 8.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21q6ztq5g994z ... 9.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/utcvi6i2jmunm ... 2.jpg?dl=0

(AC pulley restored just in time for North American Winter!)

I'm using a tbelt pulley instead of an accessory belt pulley.
I see only good reasons to use a wider flangeless pulley. On either side of this pulley the crank pulley & AC pulley both have guiding flanges so there seems to be no danger of the belt shifting off this intermediate smooth idler. And, it's one less pair of flanges to abuse the belt's edges.

I'm very pleased with the quality of the fab shop's work.
They're going to give me a quote for a single integrated dual-pulley bracket within a week.
Aluminum will be an option, but obviously at higher cost.

If there was enough interest, I'd consider approaching this as a complete "Mechanical Fan & Viscous Heater Elimination Kit".
Including:
- Integrated Dual-Pulley Mechanical Fan Replacement Bracket w/pulleys/bolts/spacers.
- Direct-Mount High CFM/Low Amp Electric Fan (=/>Taurus CFM) w/CRD-fit Fan Shroud & OEM MOPAR plug to utilize existing [gasser] electric fan circuit [and/or an independent thermo-probe & relay setup].

Or, JUST THE DUAL-PULLEY INTEGRATED BRACKET, and you guys can source your own pulleys, bolts & spacers, as well as fan/shroud/wiring, etc.

Thoughts & Interest, if any?

Cheers

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

Post subject: Re: Mechanical Fan replacement bracket completed. Interest?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:33 pm 
LOST Member

I'm interested in a kit.

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:59 pm 
LOST Member

I appreciate your reply, vwroad. However, given that you have been the only person in a week to reply, I have to conclude that there's not enough interest to even justify a dual-pulley bracket fabrication run, let alone a complete VH/MF Elimination Kit.

I'm somewhat surprised that virtually nobody is interested in a dual-pulley mechanical fan replacement bracket. Although my installed prototype is two-pieces, I'm thrilled with the reduction in drag and increased HP. VERY noticeable difference off the line.

Caveat Emptor; follow this suggestion at your own peril (and pleasure):
If anybody is curious what it feels like, try this:
- On a well-charged battery, full coolant reservoir and on a sub-70f DAY (=no lights!), remove your accessory belt and go for a ten minute joyride. Be prepared for no power-steering, and WATCH YOUR TEMP; avoid major hill-climbs which overheat (sans fan). Jet off-the-line a few times & enjoy the difference without the drag of the mech fan & its weighty pulley. Same goes for the torque-curve through every gear.
Fun!

Obviously, even with the revised belt routing over the PS/ALT/AC & substitute idler pulleys there is still resistance, but the net gain in "apparent" power is far closer to the "no-belt" experience than with the bulky stock mech-fan setup.

Note: I have my substitute (Taurus) electric fan on a manual switch & only kick it on when the temp gauge climbs past 12 o'clock. It is kinda' stunning how rare any fan is even necessary. Essentially, these are the only conditions which push it past 12:
- Outside temps over 80f
- Heavily-loaded jeep
- Driving like a maniac for extended periods
- Major hill climbs
- Towing
- A/C in combination with any of the above.

However, in typical daily driving very rarely does the gauge push past 12 (including regular green-light vaulting). I seriously doubt that the 3.7 gas motor is as thermally stable & tolerant as the CRD under the Libby's basic curb weight.

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:49 pm 
LOST Addict

I agree the power difference is noticeable without the fan on there but I just cannot get my Jeep to stay cool with Efans I have tried. Granted, I’m running a pretty hot tune at high elevation.

And an FYI, the Efan temperature can be adjusted in the tune, so you can forego a relay/sending unit.