It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:46 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:53 am
Posts: 38
dropped in recon 2.8 engine today

a few observations--

shop manual is correct--you must remove engine mounts in order to properly connect auto trans and bell housing

removal of crankcase vent apparatus also necessary

gently turning crank during install has remarkable results--torque converter boss engages crank alignment hub bore

motor mounts must be re-installed before final torque of tranny-bell housing fasteners

loose insulation is peeled and discarded

pics

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2rfvzf1co/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:19 pm
Posts: 177
Location: Shelton, WA
I guess you are referring what needs to be done for an engine install into the jeep with a transmission in place.

I R&R'd my transmission and didn't remove the motor mounts.

Hum, curious. Don't forget the HOAT coolant .

_________________
Purchased 2006 LIberty CRD 82K 01/16
SS Cat Back Exhaust, Full EGR Delete,Provent, Michelin 245/70 R16 AT/2
Stock Tune, Serpentine Belt Service,160 Amp Alternator
10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:47 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6158
Location: Colorado Baby!
I usually do the engine and trans with transfercase all together. Much easier to get everything bolted and wiring harnesses in place out of the vehicle, and then slip em all in together.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:47 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:53 am
Posts: 38
vwroad87 wrote:
I guess you are referring what needs to be done for an engine install into the jeep with a transmission in place.

I R&R'd my transmission and didn't remove the motor mounts.

Hum, curious. Don't forget the HOAT coolant .


---finding Zerex more difficult than expected


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:48 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:53 am
Posts: 38
Sir Sam wrote:
I usually do the engine and trans with transfercase all together. Much easier to get everything bolted and wiring harnesses in place out of the vehicle, and then slip em all in together.



any pics or video of your method?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:19 pm
Posts: 177
Location: Shelton, WA
Sir Sam wrote:
I usually do the engine and trans with transfercase all together. Much easier to get everything bolted and wiring harnesses in place out of the vehicle, and then slip em all in together.


You are not saying to R&R the transmission I should have removed the motor as well I hope?

_________________
Purchased 2006 LIberty CRD 82K 01/16
SS Cat Back Exhaust, Full EGR Delete,Provent, Michelin 245/70 R16 AT/2
Stock Tune, Serpentine Belt Service,160 Amp Alternator
10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:25 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6158
Location: Colorado Baby!
vwroad87 wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
I usually do the engine and trans with transfercase all together. Much easier to get everything bolted and wiring harnesses in place out of the vehicle, and then slip em all in together.


You are not saying to R&R the transmission I should have removed the motor as well I hope?


If you just need to pull the trans and not the motor do just the trans from underneath, if you need to pull the motor pull it with the trans and transfer case attached. This saves on efoort because you spend less time undoing stuff underneath that’s hard to see, and can instead do out out on the floor where it’s easy to see.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:12 pm
Posts: 2254
Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
pulsenpal wrote:
vwroad87 wrote:
I guess you are referring what needs to be done for an engine install into the jeep with a transmission in place.

I R&R'd my transmission and didn't remove the motor mounts.

Hum, curious. Don't forget the HOAT coolant .


---finding Zerex more difficult than expected

Amazon

_________________
'06 Lbrty Sprt CRD 150K

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:30 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:41 am
Posts: 29
GordnadoCRD wrote:
pulsenpal wrote:
vwroad87 wrote:
I guess you are referring what needs to be done for an engine install into the jeep with a transmission in place.

I R&R'd my transmission and didn't remove the motor mounts.

Hum, curious. Don't forget the HOAT coolant .


---finding Zerex more difficult than expected

Amazon



Napa. $12.99 a gallon right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:53 am
Posts: 38
Napa. $12.99 a gallon right now.[/quote]


appreciate heads up-- Drifter--full strength --great price!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:03 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:55 am
Posts: 43
Quote:
I usually do the engine and trans with transfer case all together. Much easier to get everything bolted and wiring harnesses in place out of the vehicle, and then slip em all in together.


SirSam? When you pull the motor with transmission and Transfer case, how many accessories (AC, PS and such) do you take off? All of them or just enough, and what is just enough?

I will be trying to make two motors into one, one as you know has a top end problem and another I bought thinking I might get a good deal at an insurance action turns out I can not find TDC on cylinder number four with a screwdriver :x :cry: ... So I am taking a good bottom and putting a good top on it and then putting it in the bad bottom jeep. Just so happens that the bad bottom is in the jeep I want/need to keep. So that means I need to pull two motors... Yea what fun this winter is going to be...with no future Ice fishing to be done because I will up to my elbows in CRDs...

Thanks
Clint

_________________
'05 Limited CRD Blue, just bought in Jan '12 with 145,000 miles.
Did the Maf, Orm, Inline thermostat.

Ok one wasnt enough now we have his and hers. Hers is above mine is a

'05 Sport CRD Light Khaki, just bought Mar '12 with 53,000 miles.
Maf, Inline thermostat, GDE Hot tune.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:10 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6158
Location: Colorado Baby!
rescue.tech wrote:
Quote:
I usually do the engine and trans with transfer case all together. Much easier to get everything bolted and wiring harnesses in place out of the vehicle, and then slip em all in together.


SirSam? When you pull the motor with transmission and Transfer case, how many accessories (AC, PS and such) do you take off? All of them or just enough, and what is just enough?

I will be trying to make two motors into one, one as you know has a top end problem and another I bought thinking I might get a good deal at an insurance action turns out I can not find TDC on cylinder number four with a screwdriver :x :cry: ... So I am taking a good bottom and putting a good top on it and then putting it in the bad bottom jeep. Just so happens that the bad bottom is in the jeep I want/need to keep. So that means I need to pull two motors... Yea what fun this winter is going to be...with no future Ice fishing to be done because I will up to my elbows in CRDs...

Thanks
Clint


You can pull off as much as you like before, but why? discharge the AC system unbolt the lines from the compressor and remove the AC condensor and it will be much easier to pull the engine out.

I leave as much stuff as I can attached to the engine, its much easier to deal with everything when the engine is on the floor.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:43 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:46 pm
Posts: 106
Location: Pinedale, Wyoming
I managed to pull the motor and reinstall with the motor mounts on the engine, I had a tough time getting the oil pan sump to drop into place however lol. By that time it was around 4 am and was delirious :dizzy:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2,8 crd motor install
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:32 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:05 pm
Posts: 74
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Ive pulled my engine out twice now without the transmission and never removed the engine mounts, definately would be more room without them but removal of mounts is not required.

_________________
2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 Ecotec LTZ Z71 4x4
2012 Ford F-150 XLT EcoBoost 4x4
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD D-Max 4x4
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (just about dead)
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 38 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com