It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Found 2 CRDs in the local pick your own parts:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:15 am 
LOST Member

When I redid my TB I test ran it to make sure the tensioner was correct per some of the threads but I don't recall any cautions about over heating. It only ran for a few seconds but still, you have me worried now!

Thanks for the videos Sir Sam, they will help with my head R&R. At least now I have an idea of what things look like and are, plus the tips.

Did either of those junkyard KJs have the owners manual in them by chance?

Thanks,

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:21 pm 
LOST Addict

krb wrote:
When I redid my TB I test ran it to make sure the tensioner was correct per some of the threads but I don't recall any cautions about over heating. It only ran for a few seconds but still, you have me worried now!

Thanks for the videos Sir Sam, they will help with my head R&R. At least now I have an idea of what things look like and are, plus the tips.

Did either of those junkyard KJs have the owners manual in them by chance?

Thanks,

I think a short while, up to 30-60 seconds on a dead cold engine, is fine.

I would not run it an extended amount of time though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 am 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE DRY - It MUST have some form of a coolant loop even if it is only looped to the engine. With being a wet sleeve engine, if you run it dry even for a few seconds, there is a HIGH potential of overheating and cracking a sleeve.

You are correct to a point. if the block is cold, a few revolutions should not hurt but this can be done by hand without firing the rig anyways. Being a heavy equipment mechanic and operator, one thing I learned a long time ago on starting a sub zero diesel engine is to turn it over for 20-30 seconds then let it sit for a few minutes. The diesel will continue to burn and heat up the cylinders while you wait. Works every time. As for doing this when the ambient temps are warm and there is no coolant, you are very correct in not taking the chance!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Minor update for the junkyard engine. Turns out it was really good timing, in December my dads CRD dropped a valve, luckily I had this low mileage engine to drop in.

It still took a bunch of time to get everything swapped over, but its running and back in CA with him.

Video of the valve carnage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW8i7nKSsX8