It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Found 2 CRDs in the local pick your own parts:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:42 am 
LOST Addict

The short of it is a very nice 05 limited that clearly belonged to a lost member at on point showed up, and a VERY clean 06 showed up on the same day.

Moved quickly and got some parts from both. the 05 was missing the head when it came in and the block was seized, turns out it had all sorts of water and oil sludge in the oil pan.

I paid a friend to pull the engine from the 06, complete, for me, I got to tearing it apart a bit a week later in the garage and see what is up with it, now I know why the jeep wound up in the junkyard.

I took some videos of my findings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0CBbEK ... Zfl81yBIIV

Post subject: Re: Found 2 CRDs in the local pick your own parts:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Sir Sam

on junkyard video 4 you mention test running crd out of frame?

have you done this previously?
what components are needed to allow start and run ?

thanks
pulsenpal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Great videos. Thanks for posting.

Looking forward to seeing the continuation of project.

Fumoto F102
ARB bumper
Bilsteins
Michelin Defender LTX 235/70/R16

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:22 am 
LOST Addict

pulsenpal wrote:
Sir Sam

thanks
pulsenpal

I have not done it yet, I have a few thoughts, either plug the spare ECU and harness in and splice in the APPS and give the whole then power and make it crank.

OR

Makeup an extension harness with the junkyard plugs that plug the body harness into the engine harness and then connect it up to my vehicle, use the rest of the vehicle electronics to run it just like it would in situ.

OR

I have the engine baywiring harness, dash, etc all still available from my parts car, I could have a whole dash and such sitting out for starting it.

I think most likely to work easily is the extension harness and use my vehicle as the master wiring source.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:22 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Aw that is just tragic, giving up on a clean CRD b/c of something so minor. :(

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:29 am 
LOST Newbie

Sir Sam wrote:
pulsenpal wrote:
Sir Sam

thanks
pulsenpal

I have not done it yet, I have a few thoughts, either plug the spare ECU and harness in and splice in the APPS and give the whole then power and make it crank.

OR

Makeup an extension harness with the junkyard plugs that plug the body harness into the engine harness and then connect it up to my vehicle, use the rest of the vehicle electronics to run it just like it would in situ.

OR

I have the engine baywiring harness, dash, etc all still available from my parts car, I could have a whole dash and such sitting out for starting it.

I think most likely to work easily is the extension harness and use my vehicle as the master wiring source.

thanks for this response Sir Sam

my crd for the first time --cranked and ran today
with many unplugged sensors---
pics and video soon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:41 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
Aw that is just tragic, giving up on a clean CRD b/c of something so minor. :(

type of thing you or I would have loved to fix and resell instead of it hitting the yards.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Yeah... I'm actually kinda surprised you didn't ask them for the whole truck, especially since it was such a fresh arrival.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
pulsenpal wrote:
Sir Sam

thanks
pulsenpal

OR

OR

I have most or all of the parts for an engine test bench, but I haven't had the time to study the schematics enough to know exactly what parts are absolutely required. BCM required? And thereby we need the harness that runs through the body?
If so I'll take one of my low dollar CRD's and use it as a test bench (remove front end and transmission).

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:44 am 
LOST Addict

Bcm not needed, really just the engine harness, ecu, APPS and some power in the 4 engine connectors.

Won’t run without codes and such, but it should run. Need bcm if you were going to swap into another vehicle.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:04 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
It'd almost be easier to get a CRD wrecked in the back or something, set in the corner to drop engines in for testing. Every known good component there to be hooked up, and OBD active for diagnostics. Cut away the inner fenders and whatever else is in the way for access.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:46 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
It'd almost be easier to get a CRD wrecked in the back or something, set in the corner to drop engines in for testing. Every known good component there to be hooked up, and OBD active for diagnostics. Cut away the inner fenders and whatever else is in the way for access.

Yeah, I'd do this option if I had the space available - A front cut-off would be perfect, you could strip everything not needed but keep all the wires right in sight. Lose the windshield and the A pillars, keep the dash right through the floor pan and just rig it on a stand. The exhaust could be made flexible and still have a muffler to reduce overall noise and vibrations.

Connecting up a block would just be plugging everything in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Wow, you guys are fast, and great as ever! I might work on these things all of the time, but I still have a ton to learn. I'm thinking of bolting my spare k-frame to a pair of 4x4's, and then bolt my spare transmission case on, and also secure it to the 4x4 runners with a crossmember (2 or 4x4) for stability. And, put the whole unit on some rubber mats if needed for vibration.
I have set aside:
-K-frame with motor mounts
-transmission case
- a matching ignition, dash unit, ignition switch with key, ecu, TCM.
-engine harness
-battery
-What is APPS?
Anything else I'm not thinking of that I might need?

I'm not worried about fault codes, I'm just making sure it doesn't knock. Maybe I should add a radiator/coolant setup to get it warm and test the bearings up to 2,500 rpm's or so? I've seen one jeep that only knocked under normal/ moderate acceleration, and it had a wiped rear main. I guess full rebuilds would really benefit from a good 30 minute test? Such a pain to r&r these engines, wouldn't want to do it 2x...

Thanks again for the advice!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I like the junkyard crd idea, but I've never seen one close to these parts except for the one that I foolishly parted years ago before I started restoring them :banghead:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:35 am 
LOST Addict

I also have a spare dash, and such I could just hookup. I’m not there quite yet but I’ll post some more videos as I get closer to test running it. And I’ll show the test setup I end up using, again there are a couple of ways this can be test run.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
I also have a spare dash, and such I could just hookup. I’m not there quite yet but I’ll post some more videos as I get closer to test running it. And I’ll show the test setup I end up using, again there are a couple of ways this can be test run.

Much appreciated! But what is APPS? The "gas peddle"? Nah, that's TPS right :dizzy:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Much appreciated! But what is APPS? The "gas peddle"? Nah, that's TPS right :dizzy:

We don’t have a TPS. The gas pedal is called the APPS accelerator pedal position sensor.

The gassers have a TPS, throttle position sensor on the throttle body.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

We don’t have a TPS. The gas pedal is called the APPS accelerator pedal position sensor.

The gassers have a TPS, throttle position sensor on the throttle body.

Thanks again! I do have a spare one of those, so I should be good. I'll set this up in the next month or two

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:52 pm 
LOST Addict

DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE DRY - It MUST have some form of a coolant loop even if it is only looped to the engine. With being a wet sleeve engine, if you run it dry even for a few seconds, there is a HIGH potential of overheating and cracking a sleeve.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:10 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE DRY - It MUST have some form of a coolant loop even if it is only looped to the engine. With being a wet sleeve engine, if you run it dry even for a few seconds, there is a HIGH potential of overheating and cracking a sleeve.

Hmm, that's a good caution. I've been test running a lot of them for about 5 seconds, but I think I'll start adding flush water as free insurance. You've got me thinking about how much heat can the sleeve o-rings handle!

Mech fan, VH & AC delete