It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2.8CRD 2008 jeep Cherokee (kk) possible fuel problems ?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi I'm new to the site and trying to find out why my jeep Cherokee 2.8crd (2008 kk) is having intermittent acceleration issues , just changed out the diesel filter but still feels like it's getting air in between 1,500 and 2,000 revs. Stutters and runs unevenly on acceleration ? Last week when it was colder it seemed to be fine but this week the stutter is back thought a filter Change may help so I have replaced it and bled thru to the outlet for the main pump the kk has a fuel delivery pump in the tank and tested the pressure by undoing the feed line to the filter head lots of pressure any ideas on possible cause would be very welcome there are no warning lights on dash or error codes coming up either thanks in advance Joe

Post subject: Re: 2.8CRD 2008 jeep Cherokee (kk) possible fuel problems ?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:15 pm 

Could be a boost issue. Are you getting black smoke out exhaust when it happens?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi ww thank for your reply. no black smoke that I can see , and it seems to be an intermittent problem I did find a few bits of debris in the filter and head unit when I took them off ( had to clean out the head unit by blowing thru. Is the main pump a self bleeding unit or is there a bleed screw in the system I wonder ? Starts really well and idles / accelerates under no load absolutely fine ..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:59 pm 

Jeep appy wrote:
Hi ww thank for your reply. no black smoke that I can see , and it seems to be an intermittent problem I did find a few bits of debris in the filter and head unit when I took them off ( had to clean out the head unit by blowing thru. Is the main pump a self bleeding unit or is there a bleed screw in the system I wonder ? Starts really well and idles / accelerates under no load absolutely fine ..

Yes, it is self bleeding as the CP3 has a return line back to the fuel tank.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks ww for clearing that concern up it feels like it's pulling air in from somewhere ( worked on my tractors for 35 years ) had a deutz tractor with a self bleeding pump and that ran similar when it was getting air in / fuel filter problems The Vm is a far more complex engine tho .....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:40 pm 

Jeep appy wrote:
Thanks ww for clearing that concern up it feels like it's pulling air in from somewhere ( worked on my tractors for 35 years ) had a deutz tractor with a self bleeding pump and that ran similar when it was getting air in / fuel filter problems The Vm is a far more complex engine tho .....

Being you stated it has an intank fuel lift pump, any leak in the system all the way to the back of the CP3 injection pump is under pressure and should be leaking fuel out, not air in.
With an intank lift pump it should be impossible for the CP3 to suck air in unless the fuel filter is almost completely stopped up which could put the section between the CP3 and the fuel filter outlet under vacuum and suck air if you have a leak in that area.
Why do you think its and air injection problem?
Have you checked, replaced, or cleaned your MAP sensor?
Have you ever replaced the CPS? (crank position sensor)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks ww it just feels like an air problem the tank pump is pushing plenty diesel thru and yes it should show a leak and not pull air in the pipe between the filter head and main pump is suspect tho ( bit damp ) and has a quick fit coupling that seems a little worn cps not checked but my jeep has only done 60,000 miles and no error codes / engine management light indications I will check and clean the map sensor and see if that may be the issue. Thanks for your advice Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi ww I took out the map sensor today and your guess was right ! it was very carboned up and looking in bad condition, I cleaned it up and reinstalled and my kk is running lots better with smoothe acceleration and no stuttering thanks to your experience and knowledge on the crd engine. Just one question my jeep is a very early KK (2008) and the Bosch map sensor is numbered 0281 002 845 when I've looked on various sites for a new part it says it's not compatible using this number but the sensor listed for the KK series has two mounting brackets not one like mine and different numbers .. wondering if my jeep used an older part used in the KJs ? I really appreciate your help in solving the problem Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:55 pm 

Jeep appy wrote:
Hi ww I took out the map sensor today and your guess was right ! it was very carboned up and looking in bad condition, I cleaned it up and reinstalled and my kk is running lots better with smoothe acceleration and no stuttering thanks to your experience and knowledge on the crd engine. Just one question my jeep is a very early KK (2008) and the Bosch map sensor is numbered 0281 002 845 when I've looked on various sites for a new part it says it's not compatible using this number but the sensor listed for the KK series has two mounting brackets not one like mine and different numbers .. wondering if my jeep used an older part used in the KJs ? I really appreciate your help in solving the problem Joe

Glad that fixed it!
the BOSCH 0 281 002 845 MAP sensor is a one hole mount that many of us state side are using by purchasing a GM (General Motors) part no. 55206797 which is much cheaper than the OEM Mopar sensor PN 68031593AA which is a Bosch PN 0 281 002 437 that is two to three times the cost of the GM sensor.
We are able to purchase them online around 20.00 US dollars at several vendors.

The 0 281 002 845 looks like this:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:57 am 
LOST Member

My 2002 Export 2.5 L CRD uses a Bosch Map Sensor that uses two small Allen bolts to keep it in place.
I wrote down the Bosch number somewhere when I last cleaned it.

Still working fine after all these years...I clean it carefully with Brake Cleaner spray. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:13 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks ww I have looked on the internet here in the UK and found the Bosch map sensor 0281 002 845 for £30 to£40 delivered will keep everyone posted on here how it works out many thanks for all your help Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:11 am 

Jeep appy wrote:
Thanks ww I have looked on the internet here in the UK and found the Bosch map sensor 0281 002 845 for £30 to£40 delivered will keep everyone posted on here how it works out many thanks for all your help Joe

Google the GM part no. 55206797 on your side of the pond, found it for £ 14,98 :google:
at:> https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oenumber/55206797.html
It is cheaper than the Mopar Part and will work just fine.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:26 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi ww ended up buying a same coded Bosch sensor on eBay £30 delivered the old map sensor worked fine for all of a day after cleaning then the same symptoms came back running poorly between 1,500/2000 revs. I fitted the new sensor yesterday which was a very simple job an easily accessible on the later CRD engine with it being in the middle of the air intake manifold and now seems to be running sweet after a 80 mile test run the motor parts factor that I used didn't have the map sensor listed for my KK jeep when I gave them the reg / year but I think that this is a common problem because not many KKs were sold over here thru 08/2010 mainly because jeep didn't fiddle the emissions figures unlike othe manufactures we know .... :2cents: thanks so much for your knowlagble advice Joe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:23 am 

Jeep appy wrote:
Hi ww ended up buying a same coded Bosch sensor on eBay £30 delivered the old map sensor worked fine for all of a day after cleaning then the same symptoms came back running poorly between 1,500/2000 revs. I fitted the new sensor yesterday which was a very simple job an easily accessible on the later CRD engine with it being in the middle of the air intake manifold and now seems to be running sweet after a 80 mile test run the motor parts factor that I used didn't have the map sensor listed for my KK jeep when I gave them the reg / year but I think that this is a common problem because not many KKs were sold over here thru 08/2010 mainly because jeep didn't fiddle the emissions figures unlike othe manufactures we know .... :2cents: thanks so much for your knowlagble advice Joe

:BINGO:
Glad that fixed it and you were able to get her running properly again!
Need any more help or advice just ask, lots of very knowledgeable and helpful members on this forum who own, drive, and wrench on these unique little diesels...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:07 am 
LOST Newbie

So after a few hundred trouble free miles the problem of stuttering from 1,500 to 2,000 revs came back .... Been studying the forum and wondered if it was the MAF sensor in conjunction with the electronic control valve ( baffle valve that is in the air intake that restricts air flow for exhaust gas as I understand it ) .. The ECV seems to be making an electrical noise on shutdown for a min or so I have checked it by removing the air inlet and it is in the open position when off but I'm thinking there is a fault and it's causing to much exhaust gas receculation ... So I have pulled off the cable on the air intake box (MAF I think )and it seems to be much improved so far ... I don't like the idea of EGR and looked at the ORM ( off road modification)advice of disconnecting the air intake sensor (MAF ) since I have done this the engine management light has come on but the engine seems less restricted Advice on the MAF unplugging and The ECV valve on the air intake would be much appreciated
On another note my mate Paul also said he has a Mitsubishi that gave him no end of trouble till he changed fuel to shell v power and gave his shogun a good run out. Maybe some of the diesel is of a poorer quality and burns bit dirtier for these newer particulate filters and EGR systems ..?

Last edited by Jeep appy on Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:58 am 

Totally get rid of / disable that EGR!
Simply make a block off plate out of a soup can lid or some other thin sheet metal using the dimensions below. It bolts in the exhaust feed line at the EGR valve.
Takes about 15 minutes to install and EGR is disabled forever. see this:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=76576

Or better yet remove the entire EGR system with the Weeks Elbow Kit from SasquatchParts.com. But this will require a reflashing of the ECM since the EGR and FCV will be unplugged and gone. https://shop.sasquatchparts.com/vehicle ... sion-kits/

Also, after blanking off the EGR feed tube, you can remove the flapper (butterfly) out of the FCV (flow control valve) very easily. It only has two small torx screws holding it in place.
This allows the FCV to think it is still functioning when it fact it cannot. (See picture below)
To remove the FCV flapper, all you have to do is remove the CAC hose off the FCV; remove just the front part of the FCV (4, 5mm allen bolts), then remove two torx screws that hold the butterfly to the pivot shaft; discard butterfly; then reattach FCV & CAC hose. Done! :wink:

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi WW totally agree that my jeep kk would be better off without the EGR system or at least disabled, but the problem is that it's got a later modified VM engine RA428 fitted to jeep KKs 2008/2010 and dodge nitros here in the UK the exhaust inlet is bit trickier to get at and feeds into a metal water cooler I think I will have to remove the skid plate and take a good look at the exhaust plumbing from underneath ... Not sure if it's fed from pipe from turbo or from the DPF ( diesel particulate filter ) looks bit more complex than on the earlier 2.8crd engine .. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks Joe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well thought I would give everyone a quick update after having intermittent acceleration problems between 1,500 and 2000 revs I noticed that it seemed to be ok below 10c (50f) ?? So I changed out the air intake temp/ pressure sensor in the air filter box but still no joy when running above 10c ..but luckily it then lit up the engine management light so I had it plugged in down at my local garage and it showed low boost code On close inspection the inter cooler pipe that feeds into the flow control valve had a 3 inch split in it on the underside ! I ordered the full set of inter cooler pipes ,replaced them and so far after 1,000 miles or so no problems even when air temp is at 15c I think the split must have been more able to loose boost pressure as it became more flexible at higher outside air temperatures .. I have fitted a provent to stop the oil attacking the new stock rubber inter cooler pipe work I fitted and now thinking of working on the EGR delete and flow control valve baffle removal. Touch wood my KK is running like a Swiss clock :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:34 pm 

Jeep appy wrote:
Well thought I would give everyone a quick update after having intermittent acceleration problems between 1,500 and 2000 revs I noticed that it seemed to be ok below 10c (50f) ?? So I changed out the air intake temp/ pressure sensor in the air filter box but still no joy when running above 10c ..but luckily it then lit up the engine management light so I had it plugged in down at my local garage and it showed low boost code On close inspection the inter cooler pipe that feeds into the flow control valve had a 3 inch split in it on the underside ! I ordered the full set of inter cooler pipes ,replaced them and so far after 1,000 miles or so no problems even when air temp is at 15c I think the split must have been more able to loose boost pressure as it became more flexible at higher outside air temperatures .. I have fitted a provent to stop the oil attacking the new stock rubber inter cooler pipe work I fitted and now thinking of working on the EGR delete and flow control valve baffle removal. Touch wood my KK is running like a Swiss clock :JEEPIN:

Glad you found the problem! Good for you on installing the ProVent, a wise move.... :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch