It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2.5 CRD Lift Pump
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello Everyone,

I've recently bought a 2002 2.5 CRD KJ and been reading the forums for some good info. Problem is most of info is for 2.8CRD 2005-2006.
In this particular case I just want to confirm: from what I understand 2.5CRD already has a fuel pump inside the tank? If not will the guide for 2.8 work for me, because the pump look quite different on the bottom part.

Also, does anyone have some nice summaries for 2.5CRD for stuff which is different from 2.8?

Post subject: Re: 2.5 CRD Lift Pump
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:48 pm 

smikiz wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I've recently bought a 2002 2.5 CRD KJ and been reading the forums for some good info. Problem is most of info is for 2.8CRD 2005-2006.
In this particular case I just want to confirm: from what I understand 2.5CRD already has a fuel pump inside the tank? If not will the guide for 2.8 work for me, because the pump look quite different on the bottom part.

Also, does anyone have some nice summaries for 2.5CRD for stuff which is different from 2.8?

Can you post pictures of the current pump so we can compare? :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have not started any disassembly yet. Trying to figure out if it would help me. I've only found a picture in the manual:
It seems like it would be same as in the 3.7 Gasser? https://youtu.be/9BXV8iDs3hw?t=585

and in the guide here it looks different. http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/lift_pump/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:58 am 
LOST Member

Neither the Export 2.5 CRD or the 2.8 L models have a fuel pump in the tank.

The Export CRD usually does not need this pump...came fitted with a good Racor Fuel Filter head fitted which was the envy of the USA 2.8l models. Lots of CRD owners have fitted a pump in the tank or an inline pump...I have never had and issue with my 2.5 CRD other than a blocked fuel filter.

If you are having a fuel delivery issue then most likely air in the system or a clogged fuel filter...neither of these will trigger a CEL code.

Download the 2002 KJ Service manual here but very important is to at the same time download the section "2.5_2.8 export diesel" which specifically covers our Export engines.
This second download gives you a description of how to purge air out of the system by pumping the plunger on the fuel head but they omit to mention that as you pump and the plunger gets hard you need to loosen the brass 10mm screw on the filter head to let the air escape and then close the brass nut and repeat the process.

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

A good site for our export CRDs is the Aussie site at: http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com where you will find lots of 2.5L Export CRD owners. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:13 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for the info. I will try to purge the air out and the fuel filter was changed 10K km ago I was planning to do it after 10K more or you think I should do it now?

There is no real issues with the car except that the throttle seems quite sluggish in the low RPM range. Especialy on steep uphills it's almost imposible to start driving without getting the RPM's upto around 1800 then starting to release the clutch. Maybe that's the way the JEEP is. I've only read that lift pump might help so I'm investigating my options.
The picture in post above is from the 2.5CRD.pdf manual.
In the picture below you can see there is even a part number referring to the pump for 2.5CRD. I guess the only option is to disassemble and check it. Strange thing is I can't hear it in operation after turning ignition (priming) or while driving.
EDIT: I've also found something for sale in Netherlands: Link

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:53 am 
LOST Member

The part manual may show the fuel pump and I believe that Jeep intended fitting one in the KJs but changed their minds...probably for cost reasons. They fitted some of the wiring harness for a pump which was never used...also documentation on the KJs is full of errors!

The reason you cannot hear the pump running is probably because it does not exist.
A very senior member on this forum...you will still see his name around...was TonyCRD from Spain and he initially stated that his 2002 2.5 Export CRD had a pump fitted as standard while the USA 2.8 L models had no pump. Later in discussions between myself and Tony he investigated deeper into the matter and came back to state that his 2.5 L CRD did not have a pump! We could not work out how come the 2.5 CRD had less problems than the USA 2.8 CRDs but decided that it was probably because of the superior Racor fuel filter fitted on the Export models.

You can drain your fuel tank and on the early KJs like yours there is no need to drop the tank.
In the cargo bay you will see that the carpet is held own...at the plastic cargo hooks...by means of pop-rivets. Drill these rivets out and you get to the access panel on top of the tank.
I am pretty sure that all you will find in the "fuel pump module" is the mechanism to sense fuel level in the tank. You can at least give everything there a good cleanup while you are there.

Once you have taken it all apart you can see if your mechanism looks anything like the link to the part for sale in Holland! If there is a fuel pump in your CRD then it perhaps was fitted by a previous owner.

I have another document on the Export CRDs that I do not have a link for. It is a small file of about 1 Mb so if you PM me your e-mail address I can send it to you....very nice document with all our error codes listed and what to do about them! :wink: