It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coolant Leak
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've been trying to track this down for a while now. Posted about it before, but thought I had it fixed.

Very, very slow coolant loss, but increasing lately.

Checked for head gasket leak, but that does not seem to be the issue. No white smoke. No residual pressure.

I suppose it could still be a head gasket, but would anyone be able to help given the following? Thanks!

Underneath the Jeep, I can see where coolant has leaked onto the exhaust pipe and the oil filter:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9En8tj9GGvfH3cZA8

In this pic, I can see coolant stains up near the turbo, but under the heat shield:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EehpnehHWXwvmE138

Closer view of whatever the stains are on higher up:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HUNnFCAAFkvh7mMH8

Just a pic on the opposite side of the exhaust pipe from where the coolant stains are visible:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vQQV7XBCPHsHckfs8

2013 KTM 350 EXC
2003 KTM 200 EXC

Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:18 am 
LOST Member

Have you removed the plastic reservoir to see what is happening underneath?

The Coolant Level Sensor underneath is situated underneath and has a thin small black rubber grommet keeping it in place. This small grommet had a tiny tear on my 2002 Export 2.5 CRD which caused a very slow leak. Could not get another grommet so glued the sensor back with a good silicone compound.

The smaller pipes coming off the plastic reservoir could also be chaffing to chassis/engine somewhere.

Two day ago I suddenly got a Low Coolant message and the coolant was indeed low. Upon compressing the top radiator hose I saw a spurt of water from the 15 mm black hose coming from the coolant tank to the oil cooler. The hose had been chaffing on the engine just above the alternator pulley. I was able to cut off the last 9 inches of hose and with some minor re-routing of this hose I was able to attach it back in place neatly.

I opened up the flat black plastic plug on the top of the radiator and filled up with clean water until it flowed out and refitted the plug. I now need to by some Mopar HOAT anti-freeze to get the water-HOAT ratio better.......here in SA I have to pay the price for Mopar supplies as we do not have access to all the good alternative parts suppliers as USA owners have! :?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just get some UV dye for the coolant and a UV light (Amazon or local parts store) for like $25. Add dye to coolant; drive for a few days; park in a shady area (garage ideal or after dark); use UV light to look for leak.

Billybob has good suggestions but coolant can blow anywhere. Could be bad OEM spring clamp, on any coolant hose on that side of the engine. I once had a bad OEM clamp from factory (not CRD) cause a slow leak.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:21 pm 
LOST Member

I've had a long term leak that has been worsening as it gets colder. Due to the cold I was able to spot the steam and then the coolant drips going down a heat shield and dripping onto the oil cooler. Anyone have any idea where this is coming from before I start removing all the RH side engine accessories to get a better view?

EDIT 1: took the top cover off the engine and it appears the leak may be coming from the thermostat housing to block interface...is there a history of this gasket failing?

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mine started like that in July. Eventually it got worse to the point it was noticably being pushed out of the reservoir. It was the head gasket, just took awhile for it to get bad enough to locate. I've got a long thread on my trouble, hopefully I will get the Jeep back this week.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check all your hoes clamps. The stock type that you squeeze together to widen when installing become weak and will leak under pressure.

Run a pressure test and you will find a weak hose clamp if that is the problem.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:15 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
The stains you refer to as coolant look odd to me; not like coolant I'm familiar with.
To me they look more like rain/mud puddle splashing from the tire, then evaporating leaving the dirt behind, but I only have the pics to go by.
An evaporated coolant stain will leave the colored dye behind, that will color a white cloth coolant color when used to wipe it off with the damp cloth.
I can't see any trace of color in those stains at all. Looks just like dust/dirt and hard water minerals.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:16 pm 
LOST Member

I'm 99% sure my leak was from a bad thermostat gasket...I'm waiting for the new gasket to arrive to say for sure, but the front thermostat bolt took practically no torque at all to loosen. Also, the last time I had the thermostat changed they installed the gasket with black liquid gasket on the engine side of the gasket. Is that the correct thing to do, or no silicone at all when installing a fiber gasket on the thermostat?

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've done several tstat installs and always used a bit or RTV black on the block side of the gasket to help hold it in place while I get the tstat and bolts started. Comments:
1. the lower back bolt is a bit of a bear to install especially as there is a hump in the exhaust manifold that makes getting to the bolt head difficult with a 3/8" socket extension. A "wobble" 3/8" extension helps or just use a 1/4" one with adapters. IIRC I also installed that bolt first by holding it in place with the extension and socket while I maneuvered the tstat into place.
2. be careful not to cross thread the bolts as they are steel going into aluminum
3. get all 4 (3 in body and 1 on bracket) bolts started before snugging them down otherwise the last bolt you try to install won't line up right.

I never bothered with a torque wrench. Just run the bolts down until they bottom and give the wrench a bit more of a nudge will do.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:37 pm 
LOST Addict

I prefer the gasket to not stick to the head.
So I use a spray gasket adhesive on the thermostat side and a light wetting of oil on the head side. Sometimes they stick, sometimes they don’t, but they never leak.