It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 02 KJ Diesel - Engine running poorly - Timing Issue? HE
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks again Billybob. I will check the CAC hose as you suggested. I've suspected from the beginning that the timing was out but I've been ruling out everything else before getting into that. Do you think an improperly fitted timing belt could cause these issues?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:53 am 
LOST Member

Rob.Fer07 wrote:
Thanks again Billybob. I will check the CAC hose as you suggested. I've suspected from the beginning that the timing was out but I've been ruling out everything else before getting into that. Do you think an improperly fitted timing belt could cause these issues?

Yes I think an improperly fitted belt could cause these problems.

I think you need to concentrate on your fuel injector fault codes as it seems to be complaining about injectors 1 and 2. Check the wiring for those two injectors ie. check that with connector C2 pulled off of the ECM and the leads pulled off the injectors that the leads show good continuity from end to end but show no shorting to engine/chassis.

I had a look at my layout for the injector wiring and it looks pretty much to me that it would be very difficult to cross-wire the injectors but you never know!

Page 8Wa-30-36 has the wiring for the injectors which shows the wiring colors for each injector and where they go to on connector C1 at the ECM. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks again Billybob. Here's a link to my post on Aussie Jeep off-road

HTTPS://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

02 KJ CRD 2.5L running poorly and no acceleration or power.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:20 am 
LOST Newbie

I disconnected the CAC hose which goes from the intercooler to the turbo and there's no suction but instead blowing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lb9SqUNvkHA2J3pf9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:43 am 
LOST Member

Rob.Fer07 wrote:
I disconnected the CAC hose which goes from the intercooler to the turbo and there's no suction but instead blowing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lb9SqUNvkHA2J3pf9

Yes you can expect blowing there.
Also disconnect the CAC hose from the Intercooler to the inlet manifold.
You expect to get pressure from the Intercooler side if the Intercooler is not clogged up and there should be no blow-back on the inlet manifold input which would indicate bad cam timing or damaged inlet valves! :?

I have just been to the Aussie site and have seen your posting there....you should get some good assistance there from hopefully a nearby CRD owner. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:43 am 
LOST Newbie

It's been a while now since my last post. I started work again so haven't had time. Anyway, I've also been posting on the Aussie offroad forum which has been really helpful.

I decided to finally rip into it and take off the timing cover following Corobotchicken's youtube video which was good to follow despite there being a few differences in the cars we're working on. First thing I noticed was the tensioner pulley alignment is way off I've attached a photo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zd1pU4jyFgv21yMq7

I have a question. If I use the alignment pins in the intake and exhaust cams and get them in place does that mean that the camshaft hole will also be aligned to 90 degrees past TDC.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:02 pm 

Rob.Fer07 wrote:
It's been a while now since my last post. I started work again so haven't had time. Anyway, I've also been posting on the Aussie offroad forum which has been really helpful.

I decided to finally rip into it and take off the timing cover following Corobotchicken's youtube video which was good to follow despite there being a few differences in the cars we're working on. First thing I noticed was the tensioner pulley alignment is way off I've attached a photo. Does not look that bad for a used timing belt. Does the belt appear to be loose?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zd1pU4jyFgv21yMq7

I have a question. If I use the alignment pins in the intake and exhaust cams and get them in place does that mean that the camshaft hole will also be aligned to 90 degrees past TDC. It should be if everything is timed correctly. But most people put the crank mark at 3:00 and then insert the flywheel pin or a 6mm allen wrench in the hole, and then insert the cam pins.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

It felt as though the belt is tighter from the fuel pump to the crank shaft pulley than from the tensioner pulley to the water pump pulley.. I'll perform the re-timing today and report back.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm trying to access the intake side cam alignment pin. But it appears to me that I need to take out the EGR, it's in the way. I looked on the manual and it says to take it the training bolts like it was easy, but as you can see the EGR staff diafram housing is in the way. Any ideas. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:47 pm 
LOST Junkie

Welcome to working on VM engines. Probably a 1/4" drive socket with a uni joint or you may get an open ended spanner in there & do 1/2 a flat at a time. This highlights the importance of using anti-seize on nuts like this one. Once you have the pin in, best mark the pulley.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:02 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
If that were mine, I'd try using needle-nose vice grips on the timing plug and leave the EGR in place, if I had no plans to remove it entirely.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:07 am 
LOST Junkie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
If that were mine, I'd try using needle-nose vice grips on the timing plug and leave the EGR in place, if I had no plans to remove it entirely.

GordnadoCRD
Please read the description of the EGR in the post back a couple.
It explains that the introduction of exhaust gas reduces peak combustion temperature.
This is why I have previously said that making the mixture richer lowers EGT. There are 2 ways of richening a mix, 1/ add more fuel. 2/ add less oxygen. When you add exhaust gas you reduce the amount of oxygen present in the charge gas. This richens the mix as you have less oxygen for the given amount of fuel. By lowering the flame temperature, you lower the EGT. I have seen this on other diesels, typically lowers by 100 F. With an EGR delete this no longer happens & there will be higher EGT's & so hotter exhaust valves. & you know what happens then!

Sorry to hijack thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:25 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I fail to see what your theory of EGR operation has to do with removing the cam timing plug.

Regarding the other matter, I've done my part to explain what really goes on in that sequence of events, and can see that it was in vain.

Carry on.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

did you end up solving this issue? reason being i watched the video again and thats the way my engine was acting back in 2014. in my case it was a bad injector #1. but i see you were chasing the electrical system and timing issue, did that fix the problem ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
layback40 wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:

GordnadoCRD
Please read the description of the EGR in the post back a couple.
It explains that the introduction of exhaust gas reduces peak combustion temperature.
This is why I have previously said that making the mixture richer lowers EGT. There are 2 ways of richening a mix, 1/ add more fuel. 2/ add less oxygen. When you add exhaust gas you reduce the amount of oxygen present in the charge gas. This richens the mix as you have less oxygen for the given amount of fuel. By lowering the flame temperature, you lower the EGT. I have seen this on other diesels, typically lowers by 100 F. With an EGR delete this no longer happens & there will be higher EGT's & so hotter exhaust valves. & you know what happens then!

Sorry to hijack thread.

Rich mix on a diesel is HOTTER EGT not colder. It is exactly the opposite from a gas engine. Running a diesel hot and working hard, if you reduce the amount of oxygen in the cylinder it melts pistons. It does NOT COOL THE ENGINE.

Diesels are a lean-burn engine. At idle they can be as much as 250:1 air/fuel. But the EPA thinks that lean burning makes too much (or any) NOX, so they want everything to be running RICH to try and counter this. On a gasoline engine this does cool off the cylinders, and a gas engine running lean will melt pistons. So rich mix protects the GASOLINE engine but damages a diesel engine.

To cool off a diesel, ADD MORE AIR or reduce fuel. Usually the answer is a combination of both, making the mix more lean.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.