All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ECU Swap Necessary?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey All,

Here's the situation.

Gold Jeep - Good Engine
White Jeep - Blown Motor

The Good Engine in the Gold Jeep previous had both and EGR Delete AND GDE Tune (I think the first level).

Engine Swap went fine, engine runs fine, but is severely under powered. Also have a check engine lite for the EGR.

Question 1: Can I just swap the ECU from the Gold Jeep to the White Jeep?
if not
Question 2: Would it be possible (asking if someone knows the guys that sell the GDE tune) to contact them and get a "replacement" tune if it's impossible to move the ECU?

Question 3: What is the first thing you would check regarding the severe lack of power in the new Combo Jeep?

Question 4: Is this most likely related to the ECU on the white Jeep not having the GDE Tune - or something entirely different?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Post subject: Re: ECU Swap Necessary?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:51 pm 
LOST Member

Your ECU has the VIN encoded into it, so NO, you cannot just swap it. Contact Kieth at Green Diesel Engineering to get this resolved. He will recommend the best course of action to get you back up and running. The lack of the GDE tune is not enough by itself to account for the loss of power.

Regarding the power issue, we need a lot more info. Do you have more codes that are not listed here? It is probably in limp mode for some reason, but it is hard to say exactly why. It could also be something as simple as air in the fuel rail from the swap. The common method for clearing it is to crack the #4 injector nut on the rail-side, leave it loose enough to leak under pressure, but not enough to quickly let air in. Crank the engine for 5 to 10 seconds then run around and tighten the nut. This is easier with a buddy, but make sure that no one is anywhere NEAR the injector when you crank it. Diesel fuel at 22,000psi will kill in a hurry!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

2 EGR related codes, one about a mismatch(?) - sorry, that's all I got out of the room-mate.

We cleaned the MAF but broke the nipple off the line next to it. Working on repairing it now. Will let you know.

Thank you about the hint with limp mode and the air in the fuel rail tip. Will check that as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:06 am 
LOST Addict

ECU has to be reprogrammed to the new vehicle.

I cover it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLIqALEaN4I&t=17s

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey Bud, thanks for the info.

Need a little clarification.

The only thing that moved is the engine. Do I have to reprogram the ECU to get it out of limp mode, even though I didn't move the ECU?

Re: ECU being VIN assigned?

How the heck does the ECU know the VIN of the Vehicle it's sitting in?
Is the ECU assigned to the motor or the car (frame)?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:25 am 
LOST Member

What years are these two CRDs?

I cannot see what a different chunk of metal bolted into a chassis has anything to do with the ECM other than the fine tuning of the individual injector values.

There must be something wrong with the fuel/electrical connections.

You will not be able to swap over the ECMs without programming in the correct SKIS code but if you swapped over the donor Jeeps ECM and SKIM module that sits on top of the steering column then the SKIM module and ECM should recognise the donor chipped key.
This would mean swapping over the ignition key tumblers though so you can get the donor key into the ignition slot to activate SKIS and unlock the steering lock.
Maybe the VIN is also stored somewhere else such as the BCM or Cluster so that could be a showstopper though...Sir Sam is the Expert on this....I have never worked in this area! :?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Muskrat37 wrote:

The only thing that moved is the engine. Do I have to reprogram the ECU to get it out of limp mode, even though I didn't move the ECU?

Thanks in advance.

The only thing the existing ECU wont have are the injector codes programmed correctly. For a stock Jeep, if everything is connected correctly and working you should not have a limp or codes for just the injectors not being programmed.

I am throughly confused about what options and deletes you have from different vehicles and what installed in the new jeep now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:22 am 
LOST Member

I have swapped over ECM and the key reader on the ignition lock, from another Jeep. Nothing else from what I remember. Had a key cut for the ignition lock but not programmed. Used dead key in ignition and held the key that matched the reader and ECU near the ignition lock and the car started and drove ok. Good security system for taking prospective purchasers for a drive. Once switched off, need to repeat proceedure to start engine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:27 am 
LOST Member

I think the key talks to the reader via a code, but the reader sends a standard signal to the ECU. Bit hazy on that at present. Did this about three years ago. Ask me a few questions if this is not clear.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:44 pm 
LOST Addict

senatorjohn wrote:
I think the key talks to the reader via a code, but the reader sends a standard signal to the ECU. Bit hazy on that at present. Did this about three years ago. Ask me a few questions if this is not clear.

Key has to be matched to SKIM(Sentry Key/Halo module) that sits around the mechanical tumbler.

This has to be matched to the ECU.

To get a vehicle to start and run you need a programmed matching ECU, SKIM, and key. All three need the vehicle PIN to do any progamming.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sir Sam wrote:
Muskrat37 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

The only thing the existing ECU wont have are the injector codes programmed correctly. For a stock Jeep, if everything is connected correctly and working you should not have a limp or codes for just the injectors not being programmed.

I am throughly confused about what options and deletes you have from different vehicles and what installed in the new jeep now.

Re Confusion: Sorry about that. All we swapped was the motor. I was asking about the ECU swap because the motor had a GDE tune done on it. I figured if it was just a matter of swapping, would do that just for the tune. Sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 pm 

It should come out of limp mode on its own after a restart if the ECM no longer receives a parameter that is out of limits from one of the sensors.
As to tunes; there are some do-it-yourself free tunes available on this forum at:> viewtopic.php?p=824347#p824347
:D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Update 12/18/2018 -

We solved it.

The 0090 Error code was due to a connector on the Higher Pressure Fuel Pump that had come unplugged and was hanging in a spot it could be seen easily. Totally missed it upon inspection.
The 0403 Error code was due to another connector that was not plugged in. Not sure exactly what sensor it was, but it was probably either the oil pressure or water temp.

Plugged in both connectors - I'm left with the 0610 error code but after reading about it, it doesn't seem to be a threat to the vehicle, just more of a permanent nuisance check engine light. Please correct me if I'm wrong about the 0610.

Wanted to thank everyone and provide an update for anyone else with these error codes or symptoms.
I know it was a good reminder to myself to start with the basics before jumping on to more time consuming and costly trouble shooting steps! :)
Learned my lesson. LOL

Jeeps running perfect now. Thanks for the help. I do have a question about cruise control, but will research first and post in a new thread if it hasn't already been covered.