It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: turbo replacement source
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:55 pm 
LOST Member

about a month a go my wife Jeep's turbo was making a strange noise..
a grind/buzz saw like noise..
checked a few things..
then remove the air hose to the turbo inlet..
tried to move the impeller.. OH SH**.. this isn't supposed to move an 1/8inch..
found a place online Turochargerpro.com
per their look up..the $380 ish turbo was perfect..online lookups are perfect!!!
well.. it gave me a low boost code..which didn't exist before.\
back and forth..try this..try that..not good..
in their first response was 1. exchange( parts to cross in transit). 2. put it out and return then they'll send a replacement..
just being honest..and fair..phone suport..ok.. but if you use the chat on their website...its great..
after trying for 2 days to get phone support.. I tried the chat...in 20min.. I had a new turbo shipped overnight air.
got the part..it didn't include the oil line..so I asked about the warranty and was it an issue? I'd be happy to leave the old oil line..but they sent me one next day air..no charge..WOW..service

it all boils down to..if you want GREAT costumer service..I think these people are AWESOME!!!
if the make a difference, the 2nd turbo..kicks...
not sure the top boost is 20psi..but the low end is enough to think it might squeak the tires..

so what causes the P0299 code...low boost?
low boost at low rpm or low boost at high rpm?
with limited testing I didn't see much more than 16psi as reported over OBII.
so far the new turbo..so great..much more punch at the low end...than the first turbo replacement
kinda make me wonder what the p0299 code is looking at? a mapping..or min and max?
-dkenny

all Biodiesel powered when its warm enough

Post subject: Re: turbo replacement source
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:41 pm 
LOST Addict

~19.4 psi should be the peak sustained boost(not including spikes) at ~2000 rpm, but it will taper down as RPM's increase.

Low boost would most likely be from an improperly adjusted VNT actuator arm. There is a threaded portion of the arm that can be adjusted to extend/reduce the arm to put the VNT vanes at the appropriate angle throughout the throw. it sounds like that arm may have been a bit to long and wasnt allowing the vanes to close far enough to hit the desired boost. The ECU is programmed to put the Actuator in a certain position based on RPM and throttle to hit the desired boost, but it has no way of knowing where the VNT vanes are actually positioned. If the vanes are positioned in a way that the ECU cannot provide enough angle to power the turbine, then there is nothing it can do to fix the situation.

This is the beauty of the newer electronically actuated VNT turbos. No more inaccurate vacuum systems or such nonsense.

The code is thrown anytime the boost doesnt hit its target for several seconds. I don't think it necessarily matters the RPM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:47 pm 

First thing most question is the MAP sensor accuracy. If it is bad or out of calibration, ECM may not be seeing true boost pressures.
Have you tried a new MAP sensor? If not you may want to try one and see if it makes a difference before starting down the path of adjusting turbo vane linkage.... :idea:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:12 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
First thing most question is the MAP sensor accuracy. If it is bad or out of calibration, ECM may not be seeing true boost pressures.
Have you tried a new MAP sensor? If not you may want to try one and see if it makes a difference before starting down the path of adjusting turbo vane linkage.... :idea:

If the OP has torque pro, just turn the key on and see if the MAP sensor is reading the correct ambient pressure. My original map sensor was reading 880 mbar when it should have been 800. Thats how I knew it needed replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:43 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
My experience with P0299 ended up being do to the vacuum solenoid for the VNT system.

In my case, every time, and I mean EVERY time (30+ trips) it happened immediately off-idle. Usually as soon as my foot touched the go pedal, but a handful of times when I let off after accelerating, and put my foot back on the pedal (barely).

What parameter was tripping it, I don't know, but when I replaced both of the vacuum doohickeys, the problem went away for good.

BTW I had to re-set the code with a scanner every time it tripped.

I'm sure there are other things that present themselves through this code, but this was my experience.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:35 pm 
LOST Member

the old turbo didn't have any codes..
the first replacement one did..
the 2nd replacement doesn't.

all other parts are the same...

the old turbo was loosing the bearings..enough that it was scraping the inlet..

-dkenny

all Biodiesel powered when its warm enough

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:00 pm 
LOST Member

dkenny wrote:
the old turbo didn't have any codes..
the first replacement one did..
the 2nd replacement doesn't.

all other parts are the same...

the old turbo was loosing the bearings..enough that it was scraping the inlet..

-dkenny

Please update this thread every so often and let us know if you are still satisfied. The website address you posted requires an s at the end of the name fyi anyone else.

At this prices I can get one and have my working core rebuilt. Got 105K on my original.

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:54 am 
LOST Junkie

I can rebuild/upgrade these, a rebuild with an upgraded wheel and heavier duty bearings is $550.

Some have had success with the chinese knockoffs, but 8 out of 10 times ive seen them fail. Theres probably a few on here with that experience.

Only a true garrett turbo will have GARRETT cast into the aluminum compressor housing.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:22 am 
LOST Member

Diesel_guy: Please PM me. I need a turb pronto, very interested in details & availability.
Thanks!

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:57 am 
LOST Addict

JUST FOLLOWING ALONG...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:41 am 
LOST Member

I put a cheap chinese turbo in my wife's CRD in 2012. It failed a couple days ago. I think I paid about $500 for the turbo back then. Here is the original thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72312&p=758934&hilit=turbo#p758934

Absolutely no indication that it was going to fail. Wife said it started making noise and shut it down about 1/4 mile later. I pulled the hose and the turbo shaft is sloppy as heck. Lost about 2 quarts of oil. I'm going to put a used one on it today.

I put an InMotion hot tune in this CRD right after I bought it at 60k miles. First turbo went at 90k miles. Chinese turbo fails 30k miles later. I don't remember much about the InMotion tune, but its suspicious that both turbos only lasted 30k miles with that tune. Anyone else see turbo problems with the HOT Inmotion tune?

I have the InMotion eco tune in my green CRD with no problems. Is InMotion out of business?

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

The #1 killer of these turbos is heat. Maybe the tune produces excessive exhaust temps, maybe the cat or muffler is partially blocked, causing excessive backpressure which raises egt's. Another factor could be driving style, these should really idle for maybe a minute to allow egts to settle, the lower the better.

I've been on the hunt for a water cooled center housing to help post shut down heat soak.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:49 pm 
LOST Member

Isspro makes a nice shutdown timer that monitors the post turbo temp to determine the proper time to shut down using the turbo temp. I have used them before and they work great, better than the timers that don't have a temp input. I have one for mine but haven't got it on yet, the exhaust I am working on with diamond eye has a bung in the down pipe for this function. I have used them on many builds and it rocks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:03 am 
LOST Addict

My66dodge wrote:
Isspro makes a nice shutdown timer that monitors the post turbo temp to determine the proper time to shut down using the turbo temp. I have used them before and they work great, better than the timers that don't have a temp input. I have one for mine but haven't got it on yet, the exhaust I am working on with diamond eye has a bung in the down pipe for this function. I have used them on many builds and it rocks.

I have indeed heard good things about ISSPRO. It is nice to know where I can get a good shutdown timer that actually works off of turbocharger temperatures.

Can you elaborate a little more about "diamond eye"?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:16 am 
LOST Member

They are located about an hour away and in my very first post I told everyone that I am working with them to come to market with a 3in turbo back exhaust and a set of steel boost tubes to replace the damned silicone ones. I like the stainless tubes so I can mount the water methanol injection, I like the snow mpg max system, then I get a pyro and boost gauge built in and it is small and discrete. Right now the only thing we are waiting on is I need to bring them another jeep to mock up with but I need to get a head back on so I have one to bring them so they can finish the boost tubes and do another exhaust. The one system they made me is a 3 in stainless turbo back mandrel bent with a glass pack and it sounds awesome, I had them flare the end to 3.5 so I could fit a 4 in tip and it is awesome, when it comes to market it will be around the 250 mark. If it were easier to do pics I would post some

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:00 pm 
LOST Addict

My66dodge wrote:
They are located about an hour away and in my very first post I told everyone that I am working with them to come to market with a 3in turbo back exhaust and a set of steel boost tubes to replace the damned silicone ones. I like the stainless tubes so I can mount the water methanol injection, I like the snow mpg max system, then I get a pyro and boost gauge built in and it is small and discrete. Right now the only thing we are waiting on is I need to bring them another jeep to mock up with but I need to get a head back on so I have one to bring them so they can finish the boost tubes and do another exhaust. The one system they made me is a 3 in stainless turbo back mandrel bent with a glass pack and it sounds awesome, I had them flare the end to 3.5 so I could fit a 4 in tip and it is awesome, when it comes to market it will be around the 250 mark. If it were easier to do pics I would post some

Please contact me about this. PM or e-mail me and we will talk... very interested in this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:55 pm 
LOST Addict

diesel_guy86 wrote:
The #1 killer of these turbos is heat. Maybe the tune produces excessive exhaust temps, maybe the cat or muffler is partially blocked, causing excessive backpressure which raises egt's. Another factor could be driving style, these should really idle for maybe a minute to allow egts to settle, the lower the better.

I've been on the hunt for a water cooled center housing to help post shut down heat soak.

I’ve got over 220K miles on my factory original turbo.
Muffler delete was one of the first mods I did.
Cat delete came many years later.
Turbo cool down time has been a ritual ever since the beginning. I don’t even think about it anymore.
No fancy timer needed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:35 am 
LOST Member

Wife's Jeep is up and running again. Only had one issue to deal with when replacing the turbo. One bottom stud broke off and another stripped the threads at the very end. I was able to clean up the threads on both and reuse with new nuts. About 4 hour job from start to finish.

I will admit that I made a mistake in my earlier post. The turbo that failed was a rebuilt Garrett that I bought off of Ebay,,,, not a chinese knockoff. But the rebuild kit was probably made in China. I have another CRD that is running a rebuilt turbo that I did myself. The cartridge was $138. I'll rebuild this bad turbo with the same cartridge so that I have a spare on hand.

Does anyone have any info on InMotion? I think the guy I dealt with was named James (I think he was the US distributor). What happened to InMotion?

2006 Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat
2006 Midnight Blue Pearlcoat
2006 Gold Limited
2015 Black Ecodiesel
2015 Black Ecodiesel 2

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:13 am 
LOST Newbie

My66dodge wrote:
I'm wondering what the make and model is of the turbo that green diesel engineering sells is? Any idea? Also where does the engine in my diesel Jeep come from? Manufacturer? Other vehicles it's used in.. so I can find parts.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Stock turbo is Garrett
GDE iirc is Garrett as well but to be certain they tell about it on their site. Just a different model that spools higher and faster.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set