It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Figuring out what I have.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

New owner couple weeks in with a 06 Liberty Limited CRD. 100,000 miles. I have done lots of reading and am learning a lot. Timing belt et al top of to do list. Also feeling a little overwhelmed. Great forum BTW.

I am trying to figure what I have. Included in the glove box was a GDE OBD flash scan tool. No paperwork. The car is originally from Minnesota and now registered in Ca. How would I tell if and what tune it might have? With the OBD do I have options on the tune? Does it pass Ca smog with a GDE tune or does it have to be removed for smog testing?
How do I tell what TC it has? If I understand correctly a lot of the TC's have been upgraded.

I don't want anyone to explain for the umpteenth time simple noobie questions. Perhaps just point me to the right place. So far these couple question elude me.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Figuring out what I have.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:59 pm 

Reidsjeep wrote:
New owner couple weeks in with a 06 Liberty Limited CRD. 100,000 miles. I have done lots of reading and am learning a lot. Timing belt et al top of to do list. Also feeling a little overwhelmed. Great forum BTW.
I am trying to figure what I have. Included in the glove box was a GDE OBD flash scan tool. No paperwork. The car is originally from Minnesota and now registered in Ca. How would I tell if and what tune it might have? With the OBD do I have options on the tune? Does it pass Ca smog with a GDE tune or does it have to be removed for smog testing?
How do I tell what TC it has? If I understand correctly a lot of the TC's have been upgraded.
I don't want anyone to explain for the umpteenth time simple noobie questions. Perhaps just point me to the right place. So far these couple question elude me.
Thanks

Best option; call Keith at GDE, (248) 977-9531), he should be able to answer your questions concerning the tune and passability in CA.
http://www.greendieselengineering.com/ContactUs.action

As to TC's. If it shudders (TC clutch slippage) when in lockup in 4th or 5th gears during acceleration uphill it most likely still has stock TC. :(
If it does, right foot can control shudder for a while until you can invest in a new and better TC.

Be sure and read the NOB guide if you have not done so:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54207

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:00 pm 
LOST Member

The easiest way to determine on your own IF you are currently running a GDE tune would be if you do not get a CEL when you disconnect the MAF. Or if you observe that the EGR system has been removed and there is no CEL.
You already have reason to believe that you might have a GDE tune, so like WW said, supply Keith at GDE with your VIN and he should be able to tell you what tune was applied and when. I seem to recall some success stories and strategies on this forum concerning ca emissions testing of tuned kjs - use google to find these and limit your search results to this domain (eg. 'CRD emissions test site:www.lostjeeps.com').

I too am interested in how to determine what torque converter is installed. I supposedly have an upgraded TC, and currently experience no shuddering with my full torque tune. Anyone know if the TC can be visually identified with the trans pan dropped for fluid/filter change?

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:30 pm 
LOST Member

My understanding is that a Jeep with a GDE tune will rev up and drop to idle when started.

I got the GDE flash/scan tool with the GDE tune on it as well as my stock(F37) tune on it just in case a dealer or shop overwrites the GDE tune in the Jeep. Emissions testing would be a reason to do that.

Good luck with your new Jeep!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:26 am 

iakj11 wrote:
I too am interested in how to determine what torque converter is installed. I supposedly have an upgraded TC, and currently experience no shuddering with my full torque tune. Anyone know if the TC can be visually identified with the trans pan dropped for fluid/filter change?

Unfortunately there is no way to determine what TC you have just by dropping the pan.
Other than NOT experiencing any shudder in 4th or 5th gears when tranny is in lockup during uphill runs while hard accelerating with the go pedal only tells you of a possibility of a better TC has been installed. A few owners on LOST have reported their stock TC holding with a performance tune, but that is very rare indeed...
In my case, my TC started shuddering on the very first tune loaded.
Best bet is to contact previous owner if possible and ask questions! :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

First, thanks for the responses. I have continued to read(including the very informative noobie section). If I may with a couple more questions.
Have yet to carefully hand calculate my mileage however the digital EVIC readout is indicating 27 to 31 mpg(how accurate are these things). Based on my VIN GDE said my car was given the full torque tune. Am I correct that GDE can download the tunes directly onto a a mailed in ECU or they can send it to the owner on an OBD scan tool? As an OBD scan tool came with the car that would be nice. If that is the case then does that allow me to reload the tune again if it becomes neccessary? I have yet to read anyones experience with tunes and Ca smog, although I am still researching.
Based on my cars behavior and the fact a full torque tune was installed I am guessing the improved TC has been installed. I can hope.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:58 pm 

Based on what you have learned; the probability is very high that you have an updated TC. :juggle:
Drive it, time will tell.... :5SHOTS:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:35 am 
LOST Newbie

You should be able hook up the scan tool and see what tunes are saved on it. Switch back to stock tune until you get a new torque converter. European tc can handle any of the gde tunes.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk