It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For Sale 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am selling a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited. Engine is BAD due to timing belt break. Body and interior in great shape and no wrecks.
Brown exterior
Tan leather interior
Sunroof
Approx 165,000 miles
Everything was working before timing belt broke
Near Raleigh NC and can deliver within in reasonable distance
$1800 OBO

Pictures to follow

Last edited by Turncat on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: For Sale 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:02 pm 
LOST Member

Wow....if this was any other time of the year.....I would have probably taken it off your hands already as I live in Wendell. Good luck with the sale.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Price lowered to $ 1500

PM for pics

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:52 am 
LOST Member

You do know that the engine isn't destroyed from a timing belt break? You just pull the intake and replace the rockers and the t belt and it will be fine. The rockers are designed to break if the timing belt fails so the engine is fine. I have bought and fixed 4 last year the same way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:12 pm 
LOST Member

My66dodge wrote:
You do know that the engine isn't destroyed from a timing belt break? You just pull the intake and replace the rockers and the t belt and it will be fine. The rockers are designed to break if the timing belt fails so the engine is fine. I have bought and fixed 4 last year the same way

It isn't NECESSARILY destroyed. While the usual failure mechanism is broken rockers, there have been a few instances of damage to the valves after a broken timing belt. Again, it isn't often that it happens, but the OP may know something we don't. Perhaps they were just quoted a new engine from a mechanic or dealer who doesn't know how CRD's work, or maybe they have already torn into it and found more damage than they want to deal with. We won't know until Turncat gives us more info.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:19 pm 
LOST Member

True enough, it is sad to admit but as a profesional mechanic I can say I have seen where if a shop doesn't want to work on something they make it stupid expensive... I.e. last December I picked up a kj crd in Seattle that went to the dealer for a head gasket and when they tore it down they told him it had a warps block and needed an engine and quoted him 9k for an engine, then I Bought it for 2k with 120k on the clock and a gde tune and ome lift. I poped the hood and asked how they determined that the block was warped when the lazy mechanic didn't even take the head gasket off and scrape the block. I scraped the block and head and put it together with arp studs and sold it to a friend for 8k... It has been 30k miles and it's been a great rig for him, it tows better and gets better mpg than his 00 4runner he totaled. Point is, it is amazing the lack of knowledge and the hast to send it away. I say get ahold of someone who actually understands these engines and get it fixed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:21 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm about to buy one that had the timing belt improperly installed. They said there was water in the oil pan and the level had risen significantly. Is it safe to assume that the extra liquid is unburned fuel from the cylinder with the broken rockers?! From what I've read, the rockers are designed to fail. The vehicle was driven at low speed for only a few miles from the shop that botched it. I looked at the oil cap and dipstick. Just black oil and no milky mix but it was sitting parked for a year. Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:38 am 
LOST Addict

Fahtb0y wrote:
I'm about to buy one that had the timing belt improperly installed. They said there was water in the oil pan and the level had risen significantly. Is it safe to assume that the extra liquid is unburned fuel from the cylinder with the broken rockers?! From what I've read, the rockers are designed to fail. The vehicle was driven at low speed for only a few miles from the shop that botched it. I looked at the oil cap and dipstick. Just black oil and no milky mix but it was sitting parked for a year. Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me.

It's most likely coolant. They often blow the head gasket violently with collapsed rockers and dump the coolant in the crank case.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Fahtb0y wrote:

If the timing belt was installed wrong, the rockers are broken. I've not seen any where the timing system failed and damaged anything OTHER than the rockers, that is the designed failure mode. Now if it dumped a valve, then certainly the coolant jackets could have been punctured and things could be where they aren't supposed to be.

Oil floats on water, so even sitting for a long time, you would be able to see a problem on the dipstick - anything on the stick that looks like beaded up water instead of a smooth oil coating, that could be contamination in the oil. If the oil has that rainbow sheen to it - that also could be coolant contamination. If the coolant bottle is black inside, that is likely a blown head gasket (combustion gas and soot entering the water jacket) and is fairly common at mileage above 130k.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mountainman and Geordi, thanks. Makes sense. I tried to turn over the engine manually, it turn a little then is stuck on something. Would that possibly be a valve?! We're going to take off the valve cover and head this weekend. Should we bid get for a full set of valves as well as the rockers?! Thanks again for the help, I was worried we were in over our heads.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Also, do you all know how to set the timing from scratch or reset?! I've looked all over the YouTubes and some here with no luck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Fahtb0y wrote:
Mountainman and Geordi, thanks. Makes sense. I tried to turn over the engine manually, it turn a little then is stuck on something. Would that possibly be a valve?! We're going to take off the valve cover and head this weekend. Should we bid get for a full set of valves as well as the rockers?! Thanks again for the help, I was worried we were in over our heads.

If you need assistance, I'm the traveling CRD tech. I'd be happy to work on it for you, I bring everything needed for the work. No problem in doing the teardown yourself if you want me to put it back together, I've done that for some folks who weren't sure what they might be dealing with for prior damage.

If there is any reason to take the head off, replacing the valves is highly suggested. If when you get the valve cover off (no special tools needed) you find one or more of the valve stems are at a different height... That means that a valve dropped and you *will* be looking at a much more involved repair. That you can't rotate the engine completely by hand is not a good sign right now.

Where are you located?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the offer. We'll see how far we can get. VA.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a Liberty that is apparently hydro locked from a blown head gasket. Geordi, if you are down in Virginia to do this repair contact me since I am in Virginia also!

2009 VW Jetta TDI (totaled)
2006 Ford F-350 diesel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:11 pm 
LOST Addict

I think geordi lives in florida but he may well be in your area working on the CRDS, I would PM him to make sure he see this he is very responsive.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Contact made. Looks like mine may be a lost cause...

2006 Ford F-350 diesel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey Turncat, did you fix it or sell it?

2006 Ford F-350 diesel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:44 pm 
LOST Addict

I don't think either of those things happened - I attempted to contact him/them after the initial post and haven't ever heard back, and they have only posted twice on the forum. Don't know what is happening, they need to come back if they do want to sell.

On yours - are you thinking of bailing out?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Probably going to bail. Waiting to hear back from the mechanic. Hate to do it though, it’s a really nice rolling chassis!

2006 Ford F-350 diesel