It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turbo Oil Leaking
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:56 am 
LOST Newbie

I am at 189K and just did the timing belt swap for hopefully another 100K. Anyways, everytime I pull the turbo hoses, I see a lot of oil going to the intercooler. I am loosing about a quart of oil every 3 to 6K. I think this is from the turbo. Is this normal? What should I inspect on the turbo to verify if it is still good? I have the GDE Hot Tune.

On a slight aside, it always amazes me how mild mannered the engine can become with a new decoupler and tensioner. I am noticing what sounds like louder turbo whine coming from the viscous heater. With the heater idling. Anyways, I think I am going to swap the bearing before considering a turbo overhaul.

Post subject: Re: Turbo Oil Leaking
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:56 am 
LOST Member

Is your ccv hose in stock configuration? If so, this could be the source of the oil in your cac hoses. Overfilling the crankcase with oil can result in excessive oil through the ccv. 6.4 qts is the proper capacity with a stock sized oil filter. That only makes it to just over the min mark on my dipstick.

There is also a ccv puck cleaning procedure that could reduce the quantity of oil. Search around here, but it involves removing and cleaning the puck itself and also clearing a small j shaped hose hidden under the valve cover.

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

1. losing 1qt of oil in 3-6,000 miles is of no concern. FYI you should be changing your oil and filter every 6,000-6,500 miles anyway. I'm no fan of extended oil change intervals. Be sure to use full synthetic diesel rated oil of the appropriate weight.
2. to check your turbo - pull the airbox to turbo hose; wiggle the "fan" (slight fore/aft play and barely perceptible side to side play are fine); reinstall hose (be sure to pull/push it until it touches the sensor on the airbox outlet before tightening clamp and don't godzilla the clamp)
3. oil in the intercooler hoses is normal and as noted comes from CCV puck. FYI CCV or PCV has been around since the 1960s and every single one of those systems puts crankcase oily air mist into some place in the intake. No big deal but in the CRD it will cause the airbox to turbo hose to rot and tear just in front of the turbo; best to check this location at every oil change.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:20 am 
LOST Member

Good discussion on the ccv puck cleaning:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64217&start=120

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:22 pm 

papaindigo wrote:
3. oil in the intercooler hoses is normal and as noted comes from CCV puck. FYI CCV or PCV has been around since the 1960s and every single one of those systems puts crankcase oily air mist into some place in the intake. No big deal but in the CRD it will cause the airbox to turbo hose to rot and tear just in front of the turbo; best to check this location at every oil change.

But unfortunately on this vehicle, it will allow oil vapor to condense and collect in the bottom of the CAC (intercooler) over time.
On my very first timing belt change right after the purchase of my Jeep CRD, and before installation of a ProVent filter, I found about a 1/2 qt. of oily liquid in the bottom of the CAC when I cleaned it. :shock: :shock:
Another reason why these vehicles should have come from the factory with a ProVent type filter apparatus installed on the CCV system.
Dang bean counters! :furious: :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount