It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Return line O-rings
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:21 pm 
LOST Member

I had noticed a bit of hard starting and got a whiff of diesel by the hood the other day, so I started to look into this. What I found was a couple (3 & 4) of the injectors were wet on top. A bit disappointing in that I had just replaced the return line kit ~1 year ago and would have thought it was good for longer than that.

Anyway the nipples and lines are still fairly new and fine, so I was thinking that if I could just replace the O rings on the nipples that would fix things for a while. The nipples are currently a fairly loose fit and don't snap into place when inserted as they did back when new; so pretty sure that's the source of the leak. Maybe could even get a set out of viton which might last longer. Problem I am running into is that I have not found anyone who sells just the O rings, nor could I find specs as to their size to order from a supply house.

Does anyone happen to know what size the return line O rings are? And/or someone who is selling them in viton or nitrile?

And one maybe related thing: I also have noticed more air when I bleed the fuel filter. In fact this most recent time I could not pump it to fuel coming out of the bleeder. I am assuming (hoping) this is due to the return lines leaking air. What to folks think on this?

Post subject: Re: Return line O-rings
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:26 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
The fuel return line is completely independent of the primer-bleeder pump. Besides if anything, it would have fuel leaking out rather than air leaking in. At least while running. Any air that does come in while it's sitting, will simply return to the tank and rise to the top.

If you are drawing air with the primer pump, it's leaking into the primary fuel line rather than the return.

Are you sure that the tiny o-rings at the tip of the injector bleed/fuel return have actually failed? What I've experienced the most, is that the fittings are not fully pushed in and locked with the clip.

As far as Viton O-rings, you can get a multi-size set from Harbor Freight that's as good as anyone else's, and fairly cheap.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:09 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks GordnadoCRD.

I'm sure they are fully seated (look all they way in and would not pull out until I removed the clips). When I look at the O rings, they are flat/flush with the hard plastic, and offer no resistance going into the injector tops. When new, they were a bit proud of their groove and made a bit of a click/pop when they seated. They definitely are worn or shrunken.

When I first got this CRD, the PO had a TB and lifter job done and the mechanic didn't put back the return line clips. I didn't know it until 6 months or so had past and one of the lines started pushing back out and leaking badly. But even then, the fairly new O rings would hold the fitting in the injector by itself (at least for a while).

Thanks for the HF suggestion. Have one of their O ring kits, but their closest is a bit too big to work for this. It is a 1/4" OD and 1/8" ID and the rubber needs to be like 1/2 that thickness. This seems to be the common size that most HW and auto parts stores carry. It just doesn't work for the injector return lines.

I'll call the dealer on Monday to see if they will sell just the O rings, otherwise looks like I will order in a selection of near sizes online and see what works...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:26 pm 

Steve777 wrote:
When I first got this CRD, the PO had a TB and lifter job done and the mechanic didn't put back the return line clips. I didn't know it until 6 months or so had past and one of the lines started pushing back out and leaking badly. But even then, the fairly new O rings would hold the fitting in the injector by itself (at least for a while).

Maybe this will help?
https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/sh ... ct=4317347
Clips and other parts are listed.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Try this:
https://oregonfuelinjection.com/shop/vw-diesel-tdi/2009-2015-2-0-l-vw-tdi/oring-return-for-cr-inj/

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:07 pm 
LOST Member

So an update of sorts, no particularly great solutions, but here is what I found:

Standard o rings which are close are 4x1.0mm and 3x1.5mm (inside diam x diam of rubber, note that some vendors use OD x diam of rubber so be careful). While standard sizes it seems most of the o ring kits and even automotive and HW stores don't carry either of those sizes. Plenty of places on line that do carry them so I ordered both. Turns out the 4x1.0mm is very close and works for a short time but started leaking after a few (10 or so) miles. The 3x1.5mm is just a bit too big; it would not go into the injector and I did not want to use excessive force (because I did not want the tip to break off, and wanted to be able to remove these as well).

At this point I was stuck, as whatever else I got was going to take a week to arrive, so I got creative. I put one of the 3x1.5mm rings on a tip, then carefully used a razor to trim a tiny amount of the width off. Smoothed it a bit with some very fine emery, cleaned and greased it. Well it now fit, and so far has not leaked. Sort of an emergency fix, and not really recommended, but hey. So while I continued "testing" this solution, did some more research and bought some other possibilities.

As folks pointed out, some places do sell just the o rings. Place in oregon. Likely any Bosch injector rebuild place would have them too. The owner at AccurateDiesel.com sold me some and they got here quickly (BTW he thought I was after Chevy Duramax diesel stuff as that is what is specializes in, but they use the same injectors as our CRDs).

I also spoke with some o ring manufactures. One was willing to do a special run if I knew what size I needed, but that seems excessive (unless one of our vendors was interested in it). But they suggested using one of their standard 1.5mm diam rings only at a smaller ID, so that it would stretch some and effectively thin down the rubber.

To that end, I ordered some 2.5x1.5mm rings too, just to experiment. Finally got everything in, brought out the micrometer, and here's what I measured. Note that measuring soft things like rubber is difficult as it distorts as the micrometer jaws reach it, all of these measurements are at best approximate (I would not trust them to place a custom order or the like).

Original orings from AccurateDiesel measure as 3.8x1.25mm. When put on a tip the OD of the rubber is 6.0+mm

3x1.5mm orings measured 6.3 and 6.1mm OD on a tip (two different brands). It was the 6.3mm one that would not fit in the injector. The 6.1mm one might fit and work without shaving, have not tried it.

2.5x1.5mm orings measured 6.0+mm OD on a tip. Although they were a bit hard to get onto the tips, seems likely they would work.

Anyway, likely a big fuss over nothing. But if you are ever stuck and need an return oring solution, and can't wait for one of the proper ones, best to try and source a 2.5x1.5mm ring and stretch it over the tips. Failing that a 3x1.5mm can be made to work for you, depending on the brand it may fit, or you may need to do some trimming.

HTH someone.