It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rough shut-down after FCV butterfly valve removed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:21 am 
LOST Newbie

As it is too expensive ($1 = ZAR13.95) to import EGR delete kit from USA to South Africa but I still want to eliminate exhaust soot from intake air I inserted a block plate at the EGR feed pipe and removed the Flow Control Valve (FCV) butterfly valve. Shut-off is now very ruff. Can I replace the FCV butterfly valve (for smoother shut-down) with the block off in place without unplugging the EGR? Currently the FCV and EGR are both plugged in and there is no CEL. I read most of the posts regarding EGR delete but did not see complaints regarding rough shut-down. Do you just live with it or am I missing something?

Susp:Ironman Coils, Shocks new bushes and ball joints
Therm: Replaced
EGR: Cleaned, re-installed
CCV Catch Can
MAP sensor: Cleaned
Injectors: Repl
Alt pulley: Repl
Serp Belt: Repl
Crank Pos Sens: Replaced
T/B & W/P: Repl @ 200k Km
Repl Cer GP with Etechno 7V GP 212k Km
Repl CCV

Post subject: Re: Rough shut-down after FCV butterfly valve removed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:37 am 
LOST Addict

I have done EGR deletes by cutting and bending pipes and sealing with permeatex as well as welding pipes and also using weeks kit II. I have also used home made block off plates etc. similar to what you did. I also removed the butterfly valve on 2 CRDs that were done this way. I have experienced no rough shutdowns without the butterfly valve though I know its original purpose was to control air supply and prevent rough shutdown. If you still have the pipe from the flow control valve area to egr this could have an air leak. Also make sure intercooler hose is clamped well and doesn't have crack etc on intake side. make sure the gaskets to intake are well sealed too.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you TKB4. Will check.

CCV Catch Can
Repl CCV

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:11 am 

Way back when I first put in a blank off plate and removed the butterfly plate out of the FCV, I could tell no difference in the shutdown characteristics of the engine.
I now have the Weeks kit and have had it installed for several years now and have never noticed any unusual or rough shutdowns.
As TKB4 stated, there may be some other contributing factor causing your rough shutdowns. :(

One other thing to consider is bad motor mounts. They can and do go bad on these vehicles and will allow the engine to rock excessively, especially at shutdown. They have a hydraulic mechanism in them internally that can wear out with age. Worn out motor mounts can also intensify and perpetuate a rattling noise both at engine idle and shutdown. Ask me how I know this! :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you WWDiesel. I was also thinking about the engine mounts. I,ve replaced the mount 60,000 km ago. Could they deteriorate so quickly? I used your diagram to make the block off plate, thank you for that. There is a loud buzzing at the vacuum reservoir, as if there is pressure building which is not released. Is there any vacuum line that I should disconnect?

I doubt that there are any air leaks. The only components I worked on was the EGR inlet port and I removed the CAC hose to get to the FCV.

CCV Catch Can
Repl CCV

Last edited by Ludi Neethling on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

WWDiesel wrote:
One other thing to consider is bad motor mounts. They can and do go bad on these vehicles and will allow the engine to rock excessively, especially at shutdown. They have a hydraulic mechanism in them internally that can wear out with age. Worn out motor mounts can also intensify and perpetuate a rattling noise both at engine idle and shutdown.

I came here to say this, you beat me to it.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:21 pm 
LOST Addict

I would say that the shutdowns are slightly rougher without the butterfly, but consider the alternative. I remove these valves on a regular basis, so I have a lot of before and after experience. Now you have a real or 'normal' diesel.
you could do a self tune for very little cost to eliminate any engine lights, and don't worry about the diesel "death rattle" as it's minor compared to taking off from a dead stop.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:00 pm 

weeks101 wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
One other thing to consider is bad motor mounts. They can and do go bad on these vehicles and will allow the engine to rock excessively, especially at shutdown. They have a hydraulic mechanism in them internally that can wear out with age. Worn out motor mounts can also intensify and perpetuate a rattling noise both at engine idle and shutdown.

I came here to say this, you beat me to it.

Like minds! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
I would say that the shutdowns are slightly rougher without the butterfly, but consider the alternative. I remove these valves on a regular basis, so I have a lot of before and after experience. Now you have a real or 'normal' diesel.
you could do a self tune for very little cost to eliminate any engine lights, and don't worry about the diesel "death rattle" as it's minor compared to taking off from a dead stop.
Exactly. The shutdown is rougher because now only fuel is cut but air isn't. With the flow control valve, when shutting down, the butterfly closes for a moment and then opens back up, making the shutdown smoother since the air is also cut.

Motor mounts would have been noticeable at idle, engine start or when moving vehicle back and/or forward, independently of shut down.

When I changed my mounts, shutdown hasn't improved. I also have weeks elbow kit (so no FCV).

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for all the replies. Bottom line: if I am not happy with rough shut-down, I will have to remove the EGR block-off plate and replace the FCV butterfly valve. I will drive like this for a while and then decide what to do. It seems to me the ideal would be to leave the FCV intact but delete the EGR "function" from the ECU. Then the FCV would only close at shut down? Unfortunately I am not sure (and scared) how to use the relevant remap programs to do this. I found this quite interesting: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technica ... plate.html

CCV Catch Can
Repl CCV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:46 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Think of it this way...

After all of it's previous life suffering from EPA's weirdness, it is NOW shutting down like a proper diesel should. There is nothing wrong with it, just give yourself time to get used to it.
You should keep an eye on engine movement though, and whether the engine mounts (and trans mount) are allowing too much movement.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you GordnadoCRD, will do. The engine and gearbox mountings have been replaced 60,000 km ago.

CCV Catch Can
Repl CCV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:05 pm 

Ludi Neethling wrote:
Thank you for all the replies. Bottom line: if I am not happy with rough shut-down, I will have to remove the EGR block-off plate and replace the FCV butterfly valve. I will drive like this for a while and then decide what to do. It seems to me the ideal would be to leave the FCV intact but delete the EGR "function" from the ECU. Then the FCV would only close at shut down? Unfortunately I am not sure (and scared) how to use the relevant remap programs to do this. I found this quite interesting: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technica ... plate.html

You could just leave the EGR block off plate in place and reinstall the butterfly plate in the FCV if you want, but there are untold numbers of these vehicles running around stateside with no FCV. Having no FCV is not a issue; if it were we would have discovered it years ago!
But you certainly need to continue the disablement of the highly detrimental soot flowing into the intake. And NO tune can fully guarantee no flow through the EGR valve in either direction either soot in or lost boost out.
Only a block off plate or total removal of the EGR system with a Weeks kit can fully eliminate any potential EGR leakby.
:D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch