It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chevron Delo 400 xsp VS Shell Rotella T6
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Since the xsp has been around for a while now, I wonder if anyone has found any advantages over the T6? I read it has a 19 degree lower pour temp, which might be nice for colder starts? I just switched, too soon to tell any difference. Both rated CK4, so rated the same?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Post subject: Re: Chevron Delo 400 xsp VS Shell Rotella T6
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Apparently the xsp should have better deposit control with the SN rating. Shell also does not recommend T6 with autos that have catalytic converters, as the phosphorus eats them. FWIW

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Chevron is also an American company and has been better to its workers.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I didn't know that T6 had upgraded their rating to CK4, that's good to know. I think the Delo might be better for DPF-equipped diesels, but I don't understand the catalytic warning on T6. Cats have existed for a few decades now without much change in design, this might be a new unintended consequence for the change in ratings.

For the CRD, we shouldn't need to worry about that anyway. You are in a cold enough climate that the lower pour point *might* offer some benefit, but it would still have to be loaded with adequate friction modifiers to make the two viscosity ratings accurate. To me, that suggests the base oil is thinner (maybe not great) and the modifiers have to work harder to bring it to a 40 weight.

I'd be interested in a good option for my 2014 Jetta TDI, something that is good for the engine and diesel-rated... The factory spec is one of VW's random numbers, but they spec a 30 weight oil for the diesel! Sorry, I don't like that, especially in the heat of Florida. I suspect much of their specification is based around protection for the stupid DPF. Mine... "had an accident" and I used Mobil 1 TDT the last oil change. The mileage seems amazing so far.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Hmm, so just to clarify, you are concerned that the XSP may become thinner over time, or even from the get go with its lower pour temp? Hmm, I wonder if that's the case if it's not a big deal since 0w was also recommended (foolishly IMO), but maybe the XSP will reduce wear on cold starts where most engine wear happens due to better flow rate? Hmm, sound like I should get some oil analysis for wear for comparison...

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:16 pm 
LOST Addict

The SN rating is for gasoline engines.
The CK rating is for diesel engines.

The fact that its rated for both tells you that its sold as a "fleet service" oil.
As in, just-good-enough for both gasoline and diesel engines.
Pretty much all the diesel rated 5w-40 oils are the same in this regard.

At my last oil change I used Rotella T5 15w-40.
My engine is will over 200K miles now and I should probably reduce my oil change mileage intervals anyway, so why pay more for oil.

I'm sure Chevron (and others) have products similar to T5.

In the past I've used Delo 400LE 5w-40. Seemed to be just as good as T6.

Again, want to learn (more than you ever wanted to know) about oil, go here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:22 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
The SN rating is for gasoline engines.
The CK rating is for diesel engines.

The fact that its rated for both tells you that its sold as a "fleet service" oil.
As in, just-good-enough for both gasoline and diesel engines.
Pretty much all the diesel rated 5w-40 oils are the same in this regard.

At my last oil change I used Rotella T5 15w-40.
My engine is will over 200K miles now and I should probably reduce my oil change mileage intervals anyway, so why pay more for oil.

I'm sure Chevron (and others) have products similar to T5.

In the past I've used Delo 400LE 5w-40. Seemed to be just as good as T6.

Again, want to learn (more than you ever wanted to know) about oil, go here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Because most of the rebates i find are on the top end oils(T6, pennzoil platinum, ultra plati, etc.) the last few oil purchases ive made have been ~$3 a quart for top shelf synthetic oils.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:27 pm 
LOST Member

I was under the impression that with turbo'd engines, the more critical bearing was the turbo not the other engine bearings (not that the engine bearings are not important, just that they do not see the extremes of the turbo bearings).

Don't know how true this is, but curious if true does it change the decision any.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Steve777 wrote:
I was under the impression that with turbo'd engines, the more critical bearing was the turbo not the other engine bearings (not that the engine bearings are not important, just that they do not see the extremes of the turbo bearings).

Don't know how true this is, but curious if true does it change the decision any.

X2!

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Color me old fashioned but I use Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40.

Bought case of 4 with $12.00 per gallon rebate from Mobil (still waiting for my check of course)

YMMV

Fumoto F102
ARB bumper
Bilsteins
Michelin Defender LTX 235/70/R16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:12 pm 
LOST Addict

snowballs wrote:

Bought case of 4 with $12.00 per gallon rebate from Mobil (still waiting for my check of course)

YMMV

Not sure if this applies to the 5w40, but
https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/media/2 ... DnEALw_wcB

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mountainman wrote:
snowballs wrote:

YMMV

Not sure if this applies to the 5w40, but
https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/media/2 ... DnEALw_wcB

Thanks for additional information.

Snooped around and now understand that Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 is a conventional (synthetic blend) motor oil. It is often on sale and a lot less than the Delvac 1 ESP.

As usual, the oil companies have enough mumbo jumbo information to make one shake his head. I guess :google: is still our friend :-)

Fumoto F102
ARB bumper
Bilsteins
Michelin Defender LTX 235/70/R16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:43 pm 
LOST Member

That's right. I get them for $8/GL after rebate and on sale.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:09 pm 
LOST Member

Steve777 wrote:

...... And the fact that the turbo itself is the element that contribute the most to deteriorate the engine oil due to extreme heat !!!!!