It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 CRD Power Steering Leak - Belt Bypass Length?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Can't quite see where it's leaking from yet, but I think it's from the metal tube / rubber hose that comes off the Pump and goes up & towards the Passenger Side Wheel Well.

Does anyone know the Belt Length for a Power Steering bypass? Just so I can get back on the road? I saw 82 1/2" in another thread, but it was for the Gas Motor.

The Jeep has been down since this happened in October, because the cold weather moved in and I gotta work on it outside. Just want it back on the road at this point. Driving with no PS is no biggie for me.

Post subject: Re: 2006 CRD Power Steering Leak - Belt Bypass Length?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Is it leaking so badly that you cannot keep filling it at short intervals? I ask because you claim driving with no PS is no biggie for you. I can assure you driving with no PS is a HUGE BIGGIE and likely to get you in serious legal trouble if you are caught. I have not looked at the belt routing but taking one pulley out of the route and trying to bypass may cause a shorter belt to interfere with other "things". The only option I can think of is leave the PS pump and belt in place; disconnect the hoses; and disconnect whatever linkage goes to the steering arm(s). Whether or not this would work I have no clue but it did work on my '65 Mustang.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
Is it leaking so badly that you cannot keep filling it at short intervals? I ask because you claim driving with no PS is no biggie for you. I can assure you driving with no PS is a HUGE BIGGIE and likely to get you in serious legal trouble if you are caught. I have not looked at the belt routing but taking one pulley out of the route and trying to bypass may cause a shorter belt to interfere with other "things". The only option I can think of is leave the PS pump and belt in place; disconnect the hoses; and disconnect whatever linkage goes to the steering arm(s). Whether or not this would work I have no clue but it did work on my '65 Mustang.

Yes, as soon as you start it, it's starts leaking.

Hahaha, def don't think I'm gonna go to jail for bypassing my PS.

Shorter belt won't have any interference, I've already looked.

Disconnect the PS Hoses from the pump and all? Really? Seriously? Just how long do you think the PS Pump is gonna last with no fluid in it before it seizes up, and creates a bigger mess than what I'm dealing with now.

Found where the leak is coming from, and it's where the pressure line runs across the front of the Jeep, along the Crossmember. Yea, the $400 hose that takes hours to replace (from what I've read so far) because it's all 1 long piece.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Given the location of the belt tensioner, I don’t see how you can bypass that pulley.