It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CR D fan clutch recomendations
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:54 am 
LOST Junkie

At the moment its stinking hot in Australia. Temperature records are being broken all over the country. So its a good time for us down here to ask about fan clutches.
Maybe our friendly members in the hotter states like TX may like to comment.
What is the best fan clutch for extreme duty? I am talking outside temperatures around 120f or high 40's c.

Will a Hayden 2791 fit ?
Is there a better one?

Post subject: Re: CR D fan clutch recomendations
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:18 am 
LOST Junkie

Are you in Adelaide? I saw 46.6C recorded there in the news today.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:16 am 
LOST Junkie

WolverineFW wrote:
Are you in Adelaide? I saw 46.6C recorded there in the news today.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Used to live there. My brother lives there. I am in Northern Victoria. I think we were over 47c today.
Cool change is moving through, we will be under 40c Saturday. been over 40c for a while.
For our friends in the USA, we are up around 110f today. As soon as I put the aircon on the temperature headed north. Had to stay under 50mph to keep it under control.

I read some interesting info about an alternate fan (plastic) & a different clutch. I dont think we can easily get them here. Put a 2791 in my XJ diesel a few years ago. it fixed it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The Hayden severe duty 2905 is a direct replacement; I don't know if the 2791 will or will not work. There is some chat about, if I recall correctly, a GM alternative but I don't know anything about it.

FYI the mechanical fan clutch engages based on the temperature of the air flow from the radiator/intercooler/AC condenser stack not ambient temps. Assuming no problems (excess heat from that stack; internally clogged radiator (very possible if correct and incorrect antifreeze is mixed); bad water pump; "stuff" in the stack fins (bugs; dirt; mud; etc) and that BOTH the electric AC fan behind the grill and the mechanical fan are working properly the coolant temp should be fine (gauge just a bit left of vertical). As to ambient temps - my son spent several years running his 06 CRD in Tempe, Arizona with summer average temps 104F and highs of up to 115-120 and had no problems with engine cooling. That included mountain runs and hauling a 2,500 lbs trailer behind a FULLY loaded CRD out of the AZ central valley in June in 105F temps.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Go with the GM version, as I've seen multiple hayden's bad out of the box, they aren't worth risking your aluminum head on.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:31 pm 

layback40 wrote:
Will a Hayden 2791 fit ? Is there a better one?

Yes the 2791 will fit in place of the OEM clutch. Only difference is it is the 3.77 *overall height vs 3.25 for the OEM fan clutch.
[*distance from rear of mount to front of clutch] This will put the front of the clutch and the fan itself a little closer to the radiator just like the GM setup does.

As for a better one:
This is the link to the thread on installing the heavier duty GM fan and fan clutch on the Jeep CRD. It is all a direct fit with no modifications required.
But you have to use the GM fan to fit the bolt pattern of a Heavy Duty V8 fan clutch by Hayden No. 2986 or NAPA No. 8552223.
The GM 11 blade fan and fan clutch were designed for and used on heavy duty large block V8 GM engines with towing option for several years.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82941

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:53 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
^^ X2 ^^ on this ^^ setup.

Beware though, if you run it without the fan shroud fully installed and bolted in place, it pulls SO much air, that it will suck the shroud into the fan and send little bits of plastic flying. *experience*

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:37 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks everyone for your information.
I tried the newspaper test yesterday when it was very warm. I couldnt slow the fan down so I am beginning to think it must be something else, Maybe the thermostat is not opening enough or the water pump is not pumping enough or there is a radiator blockage. Luckily I can swap things off my other KJ until it fixes.