It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: transmission cooling, temp gauge
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:53 pm 
LOST Addict

I've read plenty of us talking about a transmission temp sender, but has anyone actually pioneered a sender in the transmission case?
Would a sender in the pan be reasonably accurate? I mean, there's gotta be a correction I could add to the number after the cooler loop for the pan right?
What temp does the light on the dash come on at, and can we see that temp with a starscan or any other device?

I love the gear ratio with the 245/75's, but I need more cooling for the long slow offroad grades I do at high elevation in summer. I'm going to start cheap by relocating the stock cooler up to center of the radiator where it won't be blocked by the bumper. I cut the AC portion off years ago, and I also dont have the stock electric fan blocking any of that area, so stock is bigger airflow than stock in my case.
I will also wire a switch for my electric fan so I can flip it on for these slow speed accents.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Post subject: Re: transmission cooling, temp gauge
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:20 pm 

I installed a 10 row stacked plate cooler in the opening under the bumper. See thread in tech section:> viewtopic.php?f=98&t=89140
installed the temperature probe for the gauge in a "Tee" block in the transmission cooler line flow going to the cooler right after it leaves the transmission.
most accurate location according to what I have read?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Since you already removed the AC condenser, just toss what left of the trans cooler and install and aftermarket cooler. Bigger is better.

A temp sensor in the case would be best.
I dont like drilling into the pan because it always leaks.
I got a cheap $10 digital temp sensor/gauge from amazon, zip tied the sensor tip to the cooler outlet line on the trans and wrapped it in insulation.
I still only have the stock trans cooler and I've seen as high as 215F on a hot summer day in city traffic, with the AC on. Typical highway cruising is in the 170-190F range.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the advice! I already have a non leaking welded bung on the pan, but maybe it would leak with a sensor.
Flash- you're hitting over 215 after it has cooled, that's not optimal, I'll follow your advice and go bigger. I might just insulate/tape a probe on the outlet line outside the case to see how hot things really are. And then try one in the pan for comparison.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:
Flash- you're hitting over 215 after it has cooled...

No. That temp is on the HOT line coming out of the transmission.

That is the outlet line going to the cooler.
I guess i could have worded it better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:24 pm 
LOST Addict

I drilled the pan and installed one. You need a plug with inner diam = probe diam (like 1/8 npt) and outer diam not very important, but get a matching "nut" so you can thread it on the other side of the pan (sandwich the pan in between. You can also use an O ring in between. To make sure it doesn't leak, I added some epoxy on the outside. So far, in 2+ years, no leaks. Temps up to 170F, but I have a yuuuge (to use presidential terms) cooler.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:06 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
Quote:
Flash- you're hitting over 215 after it has cooled...

No. That temp is on the HOT line coming out of the transmission.

That is the outlet line going to the cooler.
I guess i could have worded it better.

Ah thanks, that makes sense. I don't have AC, but I have big mountains to drive up. I wonder if my 3/8 NPT bung on my pan will easily fit an available sensor, Google time...

But, then again, I like the idea of getting the hot line out temp even better since Thermorex is maxing out at 170 in the pan. I probably better put a bigger cooler in and a deeper pan since my temp light came on twice after the bigger tires :shock:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:05 pm 

Mountainman wrote:
Ah thanks, that makes sense. I don't have AC, but I have big mountains to drive up. I wonder if my 3/8 NPT bung on my pan will easily fit an available sensor, Google time...
But, then again, I like the idea of getting the hot line out temp even better since Thermorex is maxing out at 170 in the pan. I probably better put a bigger cooler in and a deeper pan since my temp light came on twice after the bigger tires :shock:

They sale a block to mount inline (3/8) for the temperature sensor like the one I installed on mine. (first picture)
Glowshift also sales a inline "T" block fitting for sensor.(second picture)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:17 pm 
LOST Member

I installed a deep aluminum pan that has a port for a sender, I've never seen over 160F since on the hotest days going up hill with TC unlocked. Automatic transmissions create so much wash through the pan via the return lines and filter pickup that temps from the pan or the output port are really close. It isn't a stagnate lake in the pan. I used the tee from glow shift before I changed the pan, didn't notice any discernible difference.

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff