It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Full hemi trans swap?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've found a 4x4 hemi trans not too far away. Are the bell housing and tail housing the same that it would be a complete 1 to 1 swap? I don't trust that there's nothing ELSE wrong with my trans to just get a TC and pump. I want one to install while I go through mine, and for the couple hundred it's gonna cost I think the hands on learning will be worth it anyway.

Post subject: Re: Full hemi trans swap?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:50 pm 
LOST Addict

What year hemi?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:40 pm 
LOST Member

When I got ahold of ATS about the cost of a built 545 for the future of my jeep when it finally goes, they said its the same as at hemi, they modified the hemi trans for my tq needs and With the stage 1 with billet converter was about 3600 to my door?.. So yes the 545 is the 545. As far as I know there is only one bell housing, the multiple bell housing thing went out the window with the big block

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:04 am 
LOST Addict

They do work, but you want one that has the upgrades, I think 2013+. If you go back too far you'll still have shudder, or need to upgrade the front pump, and potentially other parts to not be haunted by shudder

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:36 am 
LOST Member

The 545 went from 2001 to 2011

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/545RFE.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:18 pm 
LOST Addict

I know one lost member used a 2010 with good luck. I'd go 2010 or 2011 if that's the end year. But, first read all the threads on here, because you'll find discussions all about it. Please post your results in the end also, as it hasn't been done very many times, and the specifics are helpful.
And, you still want to add the sonax and or transgo upgrades, especially the front pump upgrades. Then you should have zero problems. If your jeep isn't tuned, you might be ok without the upgrades

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Quote:
The next six speed derived from the 545RFE was the 65RFE, used with V8 versions of the Ram 1500, Durango, and Grand Cherokee. The 65RFE only has six forward gears in ERS/AutoStick mode or kickdown mode; it is essentially a software and name change, which allows people to reach the “prime” gear via ERS as well as than kickdown. An internal Chrysler communiqué to dealers summarized the change in a similar fashion.

It (65RFE) is a bolt-in replacement that uses the same solenoid packs and will work with the OEM TCM. Breakers usually classify it as a 545RFE, as that's what it truly is. With CRD TCM, will operate identically as the OEM 545RFE. Mountainman is correct, 2013+ has in place, all fixes to the problems of the CRD version 545RFE.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

2011 Hemi trans is here. Probably going to be in the garage for a bit while I figure out the logistics of the swap and do all the things. If there's something someone ever wanted measured, I happen to own a tape measure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:54 pm 
LOST Addict

aaronguy2k1 wrote:
2011 Hemi trans is here. Probably going to be in the garage for a bit while I figure out the logistics of the swap and do all the things. If there's something someone ever wanted measured, I happen to own a tape measure.

If you're going to run a tune, then make sure to upgrade the front pump and torque converter

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:51 am 
LOST Newbie

My transmission decided not to wait for my grand plan, so I had a shop install it. One day turnaround was pretty nice.

The only issue with it going in was the solenoid pack, it physically installed but put the thing in limp mode. Upon futher research the are 3 versions. There's an old and a new, and apparently one that will work in either place. The only visible difference is the color of the connector. They put my old one into the new trans and all is well.

I'm still running air out of the system so I can't give a driving report other than it is driving.

Original trans is back in my garage, but tearing that down went way down the priority list now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:59 am 
LOST Addict

You're the first I've heard of with the solenoid pack problem on the swap. They are a common point of failure...
Please post details for others.

Year of transmission
Costs
Did you upgrade anything
Swap TCU?
Engine tune?

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

2011 Ram Hemi trans at about 182k, replacing my 2005 at 161k
$415 with tax delivered to my work.
Only upgrade I did was the complete trans go kit, counting on their fix to solve any pump problems.
My same TCU, stock tuning (crap)
Engine is currently on the GDE low torque eco tune, I've run the DIY tunes in the past but swapped back once I knew I had problems coming.

There were old liberty 45rfe's for like $160, so if I had plans to buy a TC and pump one of those would have been a better starting point.

Should have cost me about $800 with fluid and seals, but not having my crap together yet they did the trans go and additional labor to open it back up and swap the solenoid pack - about $1200 in the end. THIS is exactly the ticket I was trying to avoid, but they got it done same day and I'm back in action.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:54 pm 
LOST Member

I found the diffrence, since my son ran his 05 crd out of ATF and burned it up, I was thinking of shipping him a hemi trans since I could get one for under 300 with under 70k, I re read the allpar article on the 545rfe and found the asterisk at the bottom and actually read it and it made since, the liberty diesel has a different first and reverse ratio, the gassers use a 3.0:1 first and the crd uses a 2.21:1 ratio so the hemi trans should pull hard in first and there should be a big jump from first to second

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone sucessfully installed a 65rfe? Are there any modifications, other than upgrading the TC? What is the difference in driving? found a 2015 with 15k locally for under $900, about $1k less than my mech quoted for stock tranny.
Thanks!