It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Glow Plug question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good evening, another question tonight. I confirmed I have a bad #4 glow plug. I am unsure if it has OEM or 5v but wondering if it does still have OEM 7v and I just replaced one with a 5v, will that cause any issues?

Much reading on using 5v with 7v programming but nothing I can find on combining 5v and 7v.

I would really like to do just 1 now as it is freaking cold here in IA now and no heat in minimal heat in the garage.

2005 Liberty Limited

thanks
Rifleman

Post subject: Re: Another Glow Plug question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:38 pm 
LOST Member

The glow plugs dont talk to the ECU, so you should be fine to run just one for now. I can't see any harm in doing this long term, but it really would be best to get them all done eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:51 pm 

APC9199 wrote:
The glow plugs dont talk to the ECU, so you should be fine to run just one for now. I can't see any harm in doing this long term, but it really would be best to get them all done eventually.

I agree, a whole set would be better. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks ww and apc. I pulled the #1 plug tonight being it was easy to get to and it is the GX3123 7v so I am assuming the TSB hasn't been done and a call to the dealer says it hasn't either. I am assuming the rest of the GPs are 7v as well. will probably order a set and just brave the cold garage...actually supposed to warm up the weekend if I can get them by then.

I have done a lot of reading about 5v vs. 7v and GP controller / ECU reprogram, seems most recommend to go with 5v regardless of ECU program. the GP controller is model 56044671AC, which ID parts says will work with both 5 and 7 volt plugs.

Any thoughts before I order GPs?

thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Get a set of GX2123 5v from IDParts.com
https://www.idparts.com/glow-plug-set-5v-steel-etecno-liberty-crd-p-6013.html

I've had a set of those in my rig with OEM 7v tuning for 2 trouble-free years. They work great.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:42 pm 
LOST Member

Start soaking your GPs in penetrating oil now. Lots of stories on here of folks breaking them off.

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks All, order placed should be here tomorrow, maybe install tomorrow night, GPs soaked.

rifleman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys, could you post a photo of exactly where the plugs are located in a 2006 Liberty CRD? There is a row of 4 "plugs" on top of the motor with electrical wiring connected to it, going from front to back in a row. Is that it? Or are those the injectors?
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Alexporze wrote:
Hey guys, could you post a photo of exactly where the plugs are located in a 2006 Liberty CRD? There is a row of 4 "plugs" on top of the motor with electrical wiring connected to it, going from front to back in a row. Is that it? Or are those the injectors?
Alex
Hi alex, i don’t have a pic of my vehicles GPs but this link is a great guide for with pics when the GPs hopefully arrive today. viewtopic.php?f=98&t=70159.

cc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got the new GPs yesterday and installed all but #3 as the one of the bolts holding the FCV to the intake elbow was stripped, so will work on that another day.

After starting, I cleared the CELs which were P1267 (#4 GP) and P0401 (EGR insufficient flow). Interestingly enough, the P0401 didn't return like it has the other times I cleared the CELs.

I wouldn't think the two would be connected but almost appears so, any thoughts...maybe pure luck or it will return.

thanks,
cc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:03 pm 
LOST Member

rifleman wrote:
Got the new GPs yesterday and installed all but #3 as the one of the bolts holding the FCV to the intake elbow was stripped, so will work on that another day.

After starting, I cleared the CELs which were P1267 (#4 GP) and P0401 (EGR insufficient flow). Interestingly enough, the P0401 didn't return like it has the other times I cleared the CELs.

I wouldn't think the two would be connected but almost appears so, any thoughts...maybe pure luck or it will return.

Did you loosen any of the other FCV bolts in your attempt to install gp#3 before you found the stripped bolt? Maybe you knocked something loose in a good way! Have you considered just doing an egr delete? I saw sasquatch parts has a new, more affordable kit...

Facet Fuel Pump, Secondary Fuel Filter
ARPs, 188 Degree Thermostat
GDE Eco Tune Full Torque
OME 1.5", JBA A-Arms and Top Plates
245/75/16s, Spidertrax

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

DTC 0401 is back after a day and a half of no CEL, oh well thats ok. IA, yes I did get two of the bolts free before finding the 3rd one stripped, I did unplug the FCV but that is it and it is plugged back in. I am considering EGR delete and have looked at the new sasquatch kit, like the price and looks pretty easy. First priority is getting an HDS001, got one ordered from Jeff, almost no heat now and pretty sure the thermostat is shot or close to it. I did have a stant in-line for a little bit which helped but decided to pull it after talking with Jeff...not wanting to take the risk of buggering up the heads. I know many have said they haven't had and issues but don't want to take a chance with an engine with 187k on it.

It was about 5 degrees when I started the Jeep this evening at work after sitting outside all day with no place to plug in and it took three tries to start but it did start so the GPs are doing their job.

thanks all, I will update after getting the HDS and then after the EGR delete once warmer weather prevails.

cc